Dune (1984) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 30, 2021
Purchase links: Deluxe Edition - SteelBook only (Pre-order on May 28, at 3 PM - UK time)
Price: £44.99 (Deluxe Edition) - £29.99 (SteelBook only)

ezgif-5-bb94a1a7bc23.jpg ezgif-5-2a6e9040e7ea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally like limited edition art better and don't feel forced to buy that edition. And I don't. I buy edition has the most amount stuff.
Which in this case would be the deluxe steelbook, which has 3 discs. The normal limited edition only has 2 (no blu-ray).
I don't buy Arrow steelbooks, save for maybe 2 or 3, I just don't like this trend that seems to be happening where the best release is the most expensive steelbook release exclusive to Zavvi (same happened with True Romance, which again is the only edition to have both the 4K & blu-ray discs).

Its not something likely to bother a lot of people but it frustrates me.

Which in this case would be the deluxe steelbook, which has 3 discs. The normal limited edition only has 2 (no blu-ray).
I don't buy Arrow steelbooks, save for maybe 2 or 3, I just don't like this trend that seems to be happening where the best release is the most expensive steelbook release exclusive to Zavvi (same happened with True Romance, which again is the only edition to have 2 discs).
both pictured with 3 discs?

The left picture just looks like a steelbook inside a slip with extras and shows 3 discs the right picture shows Steelbook with a poster and 3 discs. Is there another edition or is the mock up wrong ? I don’t understand how one has 2 discs.

The left picture just looks like a steelbook inside a slip with extras and shows 3 discs the right picture shows Steelbook with a poster and 3 discs. Is there another edition or is the mock up wrong ? I don’t understand how one has 2 discs.

I believe they are talking about the non-SteelBook edition shown in another thread.

It’s a bit lazy repeating the same art on the slip and the steel.

it Great it’s having a special edition just wish arrow had used 2 different pics

Reactions: ethnosax
When people talk about bad special effects. Do we mean bad alien masks or animated overlay type effects? Even the worst effects can be cleaned up slightly, I’m not talking about “ a new hope special edition” where they basically added cartoons, just subtle re touching like Bladerunner that improves the original effects rather than completely re doing them so they don’t tie in with original look. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have cleaned up the Indiana Jones collection in this way so maybe they have here.

Can’t believe I’ve never seen this. Can anyone compare it to anything else? Or to the point description.

I would go to IMDB and read user reviews. Those with no spoilers. Those who like and dislike the film ... that's what I sometimes do when movie is totally new to me.

I would go to IMDB and read user reviews. Those with no spoilers. Those who like and dislike the film ... that's what I sometimes do when movie is totally new to me.
Yes I’ll do that. Obviously I have heard little bits over the years and have meant to watch it. I suppose I was wondering if it was a serious sci fi movie or more like a kind of fifth element slightly funny kind of thing. I did enjoy fifth element.

It's not quite like anything else. It's one of those movies that's so audacious and ambitious that even though it doesn't totally work, you still kind of admire it for the strange thing it was trying to be. I'd say that within film history generally, it's most notable for being a fork in the road for David Lynch. Had he loved this experience of big-budget genre filmmaking, the rest of his career may have looked much different from how it ended up going. The movie doesn't have a lot to say about the rest of Lynch's work, but it's interesting/amusing to see some of his signature style applied to a huge sci-fi palette.

Its "cult classic" status is fueled by a number of factors:
  • it's a David Lynch film, but Lynch pretty much disowns it
  • it was the start of a lifelong working relationship between Lynch and Kyle MacLachlan
  • it featured a minor acting role by Sting, who soon afterward spoke out against it because he plays a character who uses violence to achieve his goals
  • it's a trippy 80s sci-fi movie with a soundtrack by Toto and Brian Eno
  • a prologue was added to help explain things to viewers when it was broadcast on TV (Lynch hated it)
  • there are a lot of deleted scenes which have sometimes been added back into the film for an extended version.
All these things are the stuff of cult classicdom. :)

Yes I’ll do that. Obviously I have heard little bits over the years and have meant to watch it. I suppose I was wondering if it was a serious sci fi movie or more like a kind of fifth element slightly funny kind of thing. I did enjoy fifth element.

Serious all the way. ... and I like Fifth Element too (own 4K steel).

...but hey, it's "only" a movie. I don't want to sound like it's bigger than life thingy. :rofl: Not even my Top 10 Number 1 film. Looking at you @StifflersDad :rofl: <- Humour !