Embossed / Debossed costs

Jan 19, 2012
Wales UK.
Hey guys, just was thinking earlier with all these Play.com steels being released they tend to go for debossing.

This got me thinking: Is it cheaper to deboss than to emboss?

I personally think embossing looks nicer so why the debossing if it is the same price? Hmmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
Embossing/Debossing is exactly the same on a steelbook ...
To make an embossing, you deboss the areas you don't want to be embossed ...
Now I can imagine that the price might be higher depending on the level of detail (like the hand on the godfather steelbook) that needs to be em-/debossed

Last edited:
Embossing/Debossing is exactly the same on a steelbook ...
To make a debossing, you emboss the areas you don't want to be debossed ...
Now I can imagine that the price might be higher depending on the level of detail (like the hand on the godfather steelbook) that needs to be em-/debossed

That's like saying convex and concave are the same thing. :giggle:

I have a hard time knowing the difference between embosseld and debosseld..

Can someone give me a side by side example of an Embosseld Steelbook and a Debosseld one?

Just the name of the steelbook would be fine.

Thanka
John

Wanted DE 1st release - Title debossed

***** Slap IT

Boobs - Embossed :D

bitchslap8.jpg

Last edited:

Can someone give me a side by side example of an Embosseld Steelbook and a Debosseld one?

Thanka
John

embossed is raised, Captain America
debossed is sunken, The Thing FR

Last edited:

Thanka
John

I would say the 1408 German is debossed and Cowboys and Aliens is embossed.

1) Embossed and Debossed are not the same ... while close.

2) You can have a debossed steelbook, but you cant have an embossed steelbook without it being debossed. At least, that is what they all are hence the deboss square inlet then the embossing of whatever is inside. ie. Thor has the square inlet (that is debossing) then the letters "THOR" on the steelbook are coing outward.

3) Debossed is going inward, embossed is coming outward.

4) MetalPak has made embossed only editions tho. ie. X-men First Class (Australia)

And last but not least ... embossing/debossing has costs "per" side. Which is why you rarely see any steelbooks that are debossed on front and back. (Tho their are a slight few)

As I said, embossing and debossing are exactly the same on a steelbook, let me show you with a professional looking drawing I've made :

steelbook.jpg

What you guys call embossing would be the red line in the pic. But to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), there are no real embossed steelbooks (they would rub on each other during transport which results in scratches and teared shrinkwrap).
Instead, "embossed" steelbooks are debossed (green line in the pic) except for the parts that they want to be raised (like the title). These "embossed" areas are actually flat (the black line in the pic) and therefore embossing/debossing is exactly the same on steelbooks

up . . . and . . . down . . .

I like the debossing better, it does not give you the Lunch Box look.

— – - — – - — – - — – -

Sometimes, however, something in the film itself determines whether words/images are debossed or embossed.

For example, in the Inglourious Basterds SteelBook that I ordered online from iNetVideo (and which I returned yesterday [the day I received it] because of tears to the shrink-wrap packaging), the rifle shown on the cover has the words Inglourious Basterds debossed—because these words would have been "scratched" into the rifle butt by the soldiers. It would not have made sense to have these words embossed.