Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal

Attachments

• FF3-BB.jpg
    FF3-BB.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited by a moderator:
:hilarious: :hilarious: but so untrue. Warner waves have been horrible but a very small representation of US steels.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

You can pick apart the waves anytime. Most of us in the US do. When it comes to individual releases, quality all around. Some have had manufacturing defects but still good releases.

A very small representation? I count six none wave releases so far this year in the USA. Les Miserables and Zero Dark Thirty are both excellent Steelbooks, but the others only equal Worldwide releases at best. Django Unchained is inferior to the UK/Worldwide release. Evil Dead and G.I. Joe: Retaliation equal their International counterparts at best. Of course there is Atlas Shrugged Part 2 but that really isn't great either.

As for wave titles, Warner released thirty five in one day (Zavvi are doing their best but they haven't reached that level of ridiculousness yet). Most have the cheapest matte finish ever. A few have a nice gloss finish but the lack of inside artwork really lets them down. Universal released sixteen in one day. All lack inside artwork and have printed backs and really aren't worth the metal they are printed on.

You like to criticise Zavvi a lot, but their catalogue titles are a cut above USA releases. Personally I would rather pay extra for a little bit more quality. If these turn out to be Steelbooks, I have no doubt they will be cheap and poor quality. Whereas if Zavvi were to release them (which they probably will at some point), then they will be decent if unspectacular.

I'm sorry who started that release oh the uk did when they released those slips then Germany decided to do steel books. Then someone decided oh lets release worldwide .

The design isn't the problem, it is the lack of inside artwork and printed back that makes them a complete failure.

A very small representation? I count six none wave releases so far this year in the USA. Les Miserables and Zero Dark Thirty are both excellent Steelbooks, but the others only equal Worldwide releases at best. Django Unchained is inferior to the UK/Worldwide release. Evil Dead and G.I. Joe: Retaliation equal their International counterparts at best. Of course there is Atlas Shrugged Part 2 but that really isn't great either.

As for wave titles, Warner released thirty five in one day (Zavvi are doing their best but they haven't reached that level of ridiculousness yet). Most have the cheapest matte finish ever. A few have a nice gloss finish but the lack of inside artwork really lets them down. Universal released sixteen in one day. All lack inside artwork and have printed backs and really aren't worth the metal they are printed on.

You like to criticise Zavvi a lot, but their catalogue titles are a cut above USA releases. Personally I would rather pay extra for a little bit more quality. If these turn out to be Steelbooks, I have no doubt they will be cheap and poor quality. Whereas if Zavvi were to release them (which they probably will at some point), then they will be decent if unspectacular.

The design isn't the problem, it is the lack of inside artwork and printed back that makes them a complete failure.

Waves are nothing new. Many titles were repetitive so not actually considered new in my books. They have been released over and over I have to question if they are new or just old stock. Also some titles in the warner wave were worldwide with the same art even in Asia. Like I said pick the waves all day any day. Dont make a difference to me as I have criticized them as well as inferior. They still are not representative of what has come out here over the years.

The fact remains that quality not quantity matters. Apart from Django with paint issues, all the US new releases have been special and not inferior as you suggest. Let's not forget the recent releases from Zavvi have been plagued by issues from chips, scratches, slashes, misaligned embossing e.t.c.

Waves are nothing new. Many titles were repetitive so not actually considered new in my books. They have been released over and over I have to question if they are new or just old stock. Also some titles in the warner wave were worldwide with the same art even in Asia. Like I said pick the waves all day any day. Dont make a difference to me as I have criticized them as well as inferior. They still are not representative of what has come out here over the years.

The fact remains that quality not quantity matters. Apart from Django with paint issues, all the US new releases have been special and not inferior as you suggest. Let's not forget the recent releases from Zavvi have been plagued by issues from chips, scratches, slashes, misaligned embossing e.t.c.

The waves are more relevant than anything Best Buy released years ago. If we were to use old releases as a benchmark, then the UK would be awful with printed backs, banners and logos galore. In reality the UK is probably the best for Steelbooks at the moment.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree that 'all the US new releases have been special', only Les Miserables and Zero Dark Thirty are worth importing for anyone outside the UK. The others either has an equivalent or better release in the UK or other countries, in my opinion. As for the waves, well I was tempted by one or two (the ones with the glossy finishes), but then I remembered that this is Warner we are talking about. Most will likely get a UK release which will almost certainly top the US releases.

Reactions: lgans316
In reality the UK is probably the best for Steelbooks at the moment.

WOW....just because the UK is pumping out steels doesn't make it the best. As an entire package for me, Germany and Asia have had more quality releases than the UK. You collect mainly homeland steels hence that view. I import most of my steels so have a worldwide view when it comes to collecting. I find other European nations releases just as interesting. Bought from Poland, Italy, France, Finland, Sweden, getting one from Norway.....so all over and not just from the UK.

UK is the hub for releases at the moment, but quality not quantity is a subjective thing. German lenticulars and some Asian releases are just a cut above the rest IMO.

Can we try and keep the thread on topic folks. If you want to chat about this topic you can create a thread in the chat/support section. People are subcribed to this thread for updates and don't want to recieve constant updates that are nothing to do with the Steelbook. Thanks for your understanding.

WOW....just because the UK is pumping out steels doesn't make it the best. As an entire package for me, Germany and Asia have had more quality releases than the UK. You collect mainly homeland steels hence that view. I import most of my steels so have a worldwide view when it comes to collecting. I find other European nations releases just as interesting. Bought from Poland, Italy, France, Finland, Sweden, getting one from Norway.....so all over and not just from the UK.

UK is the hub for releases at the moment, but quality not quantity is a subjective thing. German lenticulars and some Asian releases are just a cut above the rest IMO.

You talk about quality but just look at the current USA waves i consider them the cheapest poor quality on the market.

At this point, we don't know if these will be steelbook releases or not, so it's pointless to debate if these will be superior/inferior quality. If they do turn out to be steels, hopefully they will be decent releases.

Can we try and keep the thread on topic folks. If you want to chat about this topic you can create a thread in the chat/support section. People are subcribed to this thread for updates and don't want to recieve constant updates that are nothing to do with the Steelbook. Thanks for your understanding.

AMEN.

I agree, but that doesn't always mean anything. Just look at the Resident Evil series. Walmart had the first ones and Best Buy got the last one.

Walmart had already released all the steelbooks for RE, BestBuy just came along and did one. You didn't see all new releases by walmart to celebrate the release of BestBuy's steelbook. In a marketing standpoint it would make no sense for Walmart to carry the exclusive steelbook for the movie then BestBuy release the rest exclusivly to the US.

Think the Bourne Trilogy. :thumbs: Walmart would have released the 4th film, the Target capitalize on the rest. The studio would all go to one store, ala Bourne, to maximize profits. And if I'm not mistaken Bourne was Universal. You're only hope is that this is a multiple store release for these to be steelbooks me thinks. The BBY text begs to differ tho.

That being said, I'm totally up for the steelbook us community getting these, but I won't be getting them as I already own the amrays. Can't double dip on everything. I'd get the first one if it matched the JP release Lol

Last edited:
FYI-from 12/8 Best Buy ad (thanks NY Examiner):

"Purchase all 6 collectible Blu-ray SteelBooks for $69.99. Products must be purchased on the same receipt to receive savings. Individually, the price is $12.99 - $14.99 each.

The Fast and the Furious Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)
2 Fast 2 Furious Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Fast & Furious 4 Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Fast Five Extended Edition Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)"

Reactions: bd251 and Zelos
I think I found them on that other site, it's the number of the movie with a car coming out of it with a metal background

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

IMAG0373_1_1_zps26b9f83a.jpg

Reactions: IRON MAN
FYI-from 12/8 Best Buy ad (thanks NY Examiner):

"Purchase all 6 collectible Blu-ray SteelBooks for $69.99. Products must be purchased on the same receipt to receive savings. Individually, the price is $12.99 - $14.99 each.

The Fast and the Furious Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)
2 Fast 2 Furious Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Fast & Furious 4 Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Fast Five Extended Edition Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy)"

You just listed 5...shouldn't Fast & Furious 6 also be included? It'd be weird though, since that one doesn't release until Dec 10th. So why would they start this on Dec 8th?

Or should it say 'Purchase all 5'?

You just listed 5...shouldn't Fast & Furious 6 also be included? It'd be weird though, since that one doesn't release until Dec 10th. So why would they start this on Dec 8th?

Or should it say 'Purchase all 5'?

It is bundled with the release of FF6 on the 10th. This ad is for the week of Dec 8th.

Ah, I see. That is a very good deal. I paid a little over $80 for all five the other day.

Seems like I will be returning those ;). Thanks for sharing!