Jan 30, 2013
FFO, Germany
Release date: November 23, 2016
Purchase link: Amazon IT
Price: €18.91

914P+yL8b-L._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You know... this movie is funny.

I do really like it- and I did get this steelbook release.
But looking back to when this film was released- this film was not only an oscar bait film- but ALSO a Blockbuster action film.

Since this film has a very traditionally told narrative- it doesn't seem innovative or recognizable enough to be worthy of a best picture nomination- nor does its stakes seem large enough to garner the same audience that would attend any one of the films that Marvel releases.

They were simpler times- 2001.

Nor are any Marvel releases Oscar-worthy, to be fair. :) And the Oscars are a terrible gauge of "good movies." I mean--Gigi?

I think Gladiator is a par-excellence example of a particular genre, as well as Russell Crowe in his prime. It's satisfying as an action movie that also has a great story and good characters, even if none of it is particular "new." It's also a solid Zimmer score, probably the best example of his style of that time, before he got into the bass-thumping electronic stuff that's exemplified by The Dark Knight and Inception. Nice collaboration with Lisa Gerrard.

In these days of everything being little more than keeping a huge franchise alive for one more movie, I love anything that's a one-off, unconnected-to-anything-else film. And: this steelbook is one of my favorites, so I'm glad that it continues to be available for anyone just getting into the hobby.

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187