Has anyone managed to put together a complete US steelbook collection

Mar 28, 2012
This is something I am trying to do, I love going into the collection manager and once I sort out the digibooks seeing how small its becoming as I added another one tonight. Battle LA I have never seen the movie hopefully its not as bad as it looked to be.

Down to 29 but dear gravy they are the meat of what is going to cost me with 10 of them being the Disneys, I might need to hook myself out for those :hilarious:

Would be awesome to know if someone has completed a US steel collection (I also have a goal of completing my G1 US collection too). I don't think I have any hopes of ever finishing say a Canadian or UK collection but US is doable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its going to be an uphill battle for sure, the Disney's will likely cost me $500 as each of them sell for at least $50 if not more. The rest are fairly cheap if I keep my eyes peeled. I mean 4 of them are the Best Buy Warner Brothers line (my Superman Returns arrived in the mail yesterday amazing people are trying to get $20 off this on ebay when you can still order it from bestbuy.com for $9.99 with free shipping).

One thing that throws me off is there is 2 Toy Story 3's in the collection manager which makes no sense as Best Buy only released the one no idea why two is showing up.

When I start on the G1s I might have to make decisions like I am not sure I really want any of the anime steels, I don't want to buy the Dragonball Z's just to have them as I have no desire in owning them or watching them. I mean some of the first look studio films will be fine because I know there really cheap and hey less than $5 to watch a silly D movie and get a steel is kind of fun.

It's definitely doable. I just couldn't be bothered to own all of the Warner steels.

I agree. Especially since some are re-releases (Sherlock Holmes 2 and Wrath of the Titans)

I know a lot of people didn't like Battle LA but I thought it was very good:) it was a blind buy for me when I first started collecting Steelbooks and I'm glad it was a Steelbook otherwise I might never have seen the movie:scat:

One thing that throws me off is there is 2 Toy Story 3's in the collection manager which makes no sense as Best Buy only released the one no idea why two is showing up.

This alone makes your proposed list inaccurate. Toy Story Movies were NOT released as Steelbook

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

No offense but I would never buy the cheaper US steels with no inner art. The Canadian ones are much better and only few $'s more generally.

You generalized personal value thoughts despite there are WB steelbooks NOT released in Canada like the following below:

Hangover 1
Good Fellas
Gran Torino

This alone makes your proposed list inaccurate. Toy Story Movies were NOT released as Steelbook

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

You generalized personal value thoughts despite there are WB steelbooks NOT released in Canada like the following below:

Hangover 1
Good Fellas
Gran Torino

I understand Toy Story 3 was a Viva but I still collect them and actually have every Viva released so it doesn't invalidate my list because it would still be a complete collection. I personally lump the Vivas in with the steelbooks, to each their own. My first blurays were almost all Vivas.

I like the warner brothers titles even if they are like the cheaper dirtier cousin to the Canadian ones.

Reactions: bd251
To answer this thread..

YES I did complete each and every release!

One rule I have though - if there is a duplicate copy from Canada with better quality, better number of discs, higher demand and More Scarce.. I would go to the higher value as per demand.

Here is the link in this forum:

https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/22525/

2012 collection will soon be posted :)

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Its going to be an uphill battle for sure, the Disney's will likely cost me $500 as each of them sell for at least $50 if not more. The rest are fairly cheap if I keep my eyes peeled. I mean 4 of them are the Best Buy Warner Brothers line (my Superman Returns arrived in the mail yesterday amazing people are trying to get $20 off this on ebay when you can still order it from bestbuy.com for $9.99 with free shipping).

Upgrade & Save brought it down to $4.99 (until Feb 02)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok that was pretty awesome xage. Now we just need to get you into the old g1s pre-2008 :). Is the fs true grit a g1 I always thought it was a g2 it's on my want list.

Ok that was pretty awesome xage. Now we just need to get you into the old g1s pre-2008 :). Is the fs true grit a g1 I always thought it was a g2 it's on my want list.

as what stinkofdefeat mentioned, its "G1"

Im sorry also - the plain blank silverish one was "Atlas Shrugged" (shot in facing the back)

and lastly, all of my North American Blu-ray steelbook are sealed

Couple small corrections for the sake of being anal.

Toy Stories were IronPack not viva.

Also Goodfellas was released in CA as steel (first)

No offense but I would never buy the cheaper US steels with no inner art. The Canadian ones are much better and only few $'s more generally.

Sorry SOD but I disagree with you here to an extent. I've upgraded many of my DVDs to blu-ray with the WB wave for a fair price and while I do agree they have no interior artwork all I can say is, have you seen the custom interior thread :D

That issue is very managable

I think it was misinterpreted by some about this statement.

I agree with Stinkofdefeat about his perception of the USA vs CANADA - it may have been vaugely stated however there are a lot of reasons and past stories to consider.

Some that I can remember are:

2009 most "EGOs" rised up a notch when Futureshop introduced the 12 days of freakin Disney steelbook selling. It also Killed the "EGOs" of many when Bestbuy USA dropped a Wave of Disney in one shot (well,for a while many badmouthed this US vs Canada difference - only ending up today as one of the most SOUGHT AFTER Wave in steelbook collection community)

Bestbuy USA's marketing approach of "pre-selling" movies (mainly disney) with empty case collectible packaging (steelbook, ironpack, metalbox)

We also need not put "out" of equation Walmart Store (they too have US Steelbook "exclusive" releases) and T.W.E.C (mainly FYE) - *such examples were Inception and Harry Potter

If WB "waves" - this would be pairing WB Steelbook wave of "Amazon CA" vs "Bestbuy US". They are mostly identical in packaging (meaning the dreaded "no internal art" design)

Bluray Steelbook G1 vs G2 (both US and Canada) have this fall too. US by the way wins this category owning "exclusivity" with 2 gems that I know of "Hurt Locker" and "Sucker Punch". However US also loss this category, given Bestbuy do release Bluray G1s (it would be dumb if Bestbuy move to G2 for Twilight Breaking Dawn Pt2 given that they started with G1 of the saga)

Last edited:
I agree about the US WB line and just making your own custom artwork, I have done it for each and everyone of my WB titles. And I doubt you can find many of the FS for what I got some of the Best Buy titles for with trade and save making them just $4.99 at times.

Xage FYE used to get tons of steelbook exclusives at one point but as they started closing stores their exclusives went down and eventually disappeared, their last 2 being Inception and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (they also had a Half Blood Prince exclusive but it was G1).

I might think of going with the UK True Grit then even though I have no problem with G1's heck it may just end up being what is cheaper.

Sorry SOD but I disagree with you here to an extent. I've upgraded many of my DVDs to blu-ray with the WB wave for a fair price and while I do agree they have no interior artwork all I can say is, have you seen the custom interior thread :D

That issue is very managable

No problem if you disagree. I guess my perception would probably be different if I lived in the USA and had easy access to cheap steels.

As far as custom artwork goes, if you can do that, then I agree its amazing!

I think it was misinterpreted by some about this statement.

I agree with Stinkofdefeat about his perception of the USA vs CANADA - it may have been vaugely stated however there are a lot of reasons and past stories to consider.

Some that I can remember are:

2009 most "EGOs" rised up a notch when Futureshop introduced the 12 days of freakin Disney steelbook selling. It also Killed the "EGOs" of many when Bestbuy USA dropped a Wave of Disney in one shot (well,for a while many badmouthed this US vs Canada difference - only ending up today as one of the most SOUGHT AFTER Wave in steelbook collection community)

Bestbuy USA's marketing approach of "pre-selling" movies (mainly disney) with empty case collectible packaging (steelbook, ironpack, metalbox)

We also need not put "out" of equation Walmart Store (they too have US Steelbook "exclusive" releases) and T.W.E.C (mainly FYE) - *such examples were Inception and Harry Potter

If WB "waves" - this would be pairing WB Steelbook wave of "Amazon CA" vs "Bestbuy US". They are mostly identical in packaging (meaning the dreaded "no internal art" design)

Bluray Steelbook G1 vs G2 (both US and Canada) have this fall too. US by the way wins this category owning "exclusivity" with 2 gems that I know of "Hurt Locker" and "Sucker Punch". However US also loss this category, given Bestbuy do release Bluray G1s (it would be dumb if Bestbuy move to G2 for Twilight Breaking Dawn Pt2 given that they started with G1 of the saga)

Wow Xage... you know your history! :D

I was, and should have expressed more clearly I guess, just talking about the WB waves only. Which to me feel inferior to the Canadian counterparts. I don't want to put my $$ towards steels that are inferior if I can help it. Hopefully stores/studios will get the idea that I want quality not quantity.

I agree about the US WB line and just making your own custom artwork, I have done it for each and everyone of my WB titles. And I doubt you can find many of the FS for what I got some of the Best Buy titles for with trade and save making them just $4.99 at times.

Xage FYE used to get tons of steelbook exclusives at one point but as they started closing stores their exclusives went down and eventually disappeared, their last 2 being Inception and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (they also had a Half Blood Prince exclusive but it was G1).

I might think of going with the UK True Grit then even though I have no problem with G1's heck it may just end up being what is cheaper.

Just to be clear the WB titles were Canadian wide releases here, not just FS. You can get those titles pretty cheaply on amazon.ca even today. I have not paid over $14.99 for any of them and most were $9.99 when amazon had sales going.

As far as True Grit, I still need to get this one as well, and I am not against G1 but I will go with whichever is cheaper at the time.

Reactions: xage