Mad Max Fury Road: Black & Chrome Edition (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

TheJoker

The Clown Prince Ninja
Premium Supporter
Jan 19, 2013
England
Release date: February 13, 2017 (first run) - July 24, 2017 (second run of 1000 copies)
Purchase link: Zavvi (second run of 1000 copies going live Saturday, June 3 at 12PM UK time).
Additional stock from European run offered to Zavvi. Live 11/1/2017.
Price: £15.99
Note: Includes colour theatrical cut

MM1.jpg

11373866-1664441587461121.jpg
11373866-1034439209485927.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching the Mist in black and white was actually quite effective and did, in some way make the whole movie experience seem surreal.

Although i personally feel Max needs the colors, I would still like to view it like this. I pre-ordered without hesitation last night. Cannot wait to get this. Also love the look of the steelbook regardless of double labels. It's pretty obvious that it represents an alternate version of the movie.

Hopefully they'll decide to use the type of slip/o-ring that they used for THE INBETWEENERS 2 steelbook and have the title on that and NOT on the front of the steelbook - would certainly make for a "cleaner" front.
"Inbetweeners 2" steelbook w/ o-ring:-

Sold out for now, was going to order one but will have to wait for the inevitable second pre-order run now

Once other countries start announcing this and the inevitable FAC then there I'll be loads to go around. And many cancellations of zavvi

Turning off color is not the same thing. And it won't lose clarity at all. It will be completely mastered and calibrated for black and white. It will not look remotely the same as watching the color version and turning down the color.

I'm not convinced. I need to see a 4k or 1080p sample before buying it.

^ 1080p colour screencaps http://www.screencapsbest.com/?p=1056

A taster of the Black & Chrome version which certainly makes the film look interesting and one of the few very modern B&W films I'm looking forward to watching (looking forward more to this than I was to the B&W version of THE MIST which I didn't like as much as the colour version if truth be told).
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Not forgetting the fact that B&W has never really gone away and has been used on countless films since its heyday in Hollywood's Golden Age of the 1930's and 1940's (and earlier) and not just on esoteric / Arthouse foreign language films.
Thinking of THE APARTMENT in 1960 with its 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD near the end of the decade via YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, ERASERHEAD. MANHATTAN, RAGING BULL and THE ELEPHANT MAN in the mid to late 1970's to the more recent mostly B&W of SCHINDLER'S LIST 1994, PLEASANTVILLE 1998 and SIN CITY 2004 up to THE ARTIST, FRANKENWEENIE and A FIELD IN ENGLAND in the 2010's and many, many others. . .
I remember reading ages ago that Lindsay Anderson couldn't afford to shoot IF 1968 entirely in colour resulting in some of it being filmed in B&W - which may or may not be true - but for me that only makes the film more interesting.
Another film I find interesting is A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH 1946 with the scenes on Earth in colour and those in Heaven in B&W when the other way around might be expected.

Reactions: wouter and lgans316

A taster of the Black & Chrome version which certainly makes the film look interesting and one of the few very modern B&W films I'm looking forward to watching (looking forward more to this than I was to the B&W version of THE MIST which I didn't like as much as the colour version if truth be told).
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Not forgetting the fact that B&W has never really gone away and has been used on countless films since its heyday in Hollywood's Golden Age of the 1930's and 1940's (and earlier) and not just on esoteric / Arthouse foreign language films.
Thinking of THE APARTMENT in 1960 with its 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD near the end of the decade via YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, ERASERHEAD. MANHATTAN, RAGING BULL and THE ELEPHANT MAN in the mid to late 1970's to the more recent mostly B&W of SCHINDLER'S LIST 1994, PLEASANTVILLE 1998 and SIN CITY 2004 up to THE ARTIST, FRANKENWEENIE and A FIELD IN ENGLAND in the 2010's and many, many others. . .
I remember reading ages ago that Lindsay Anderson couldn't afford to shoot IF 1968 entirely in colour resulting in some of it being filmed in B&W - which may or may not be true - but for me that only makes the film more interesting.
Another film I find interesting is A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH 1946 with the scenes on Earth in colour and those in Heaven in B&W when the other way around might be expected.

For once a bunch of films you mention that I agree with but you missed one (i know there are many others) which I never see mentioned anywhere and the film is also quite modern and better than half the sh*t out there - Angel A.
Fantastic film and would love a steel of it. Possibly bessons last decent film

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
^

Ahh, I am SO glad to hear someone else mention that movie--love it, and would really love a BR steelbook edition!

For once a bunch of films you mention that I agree with but you missed one (i know there are many others) which I never see mentioned anywhere and the film is also quite modern and better than half the sh*t out there - Angel A.
Fantastic film and would love a steel of it. Possibly bessons last decent film

Yes, there's more than a few brilliant modern foreign language B&W films out there but "Arthouse foreign language films" were deliberately not mentioned.

If I had mentioned foreign language B&W films I certainly would have included ANGEL-A (which I particularly like for its nod to the evergreen Jimmy Stewart classic IT'S A WONDEFUL LIFE) and others such as LA HAINE (steelbook available) and A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT as just a few examples.

Don't forget 12 Angry Men. A true masterpiece.