Malaysian Flight 370 Movie “The Vanishing Act”

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
malaysia_plane.jpg

One of the more unusual projects being pitched at this year’s Cannes Film Festival is “The Vanishing Act,” Indian director Rupesh Paul’s drama based on missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.

SEE MORE: Cannes Film Festival

On Saturday afternoon, Paul presented his film idea to financiers with a 90-second teaser trailer, which features a cast of terrified passengers aboard a turbulent jetliner. He also had a poster with the tag line, “The untold story of the vanished Malaysian flight.”

After Flight 370 disappeared on March 8, Paul said that he was contacted by a Malaysian journalist with a theory about what happened. Paul then spent 20 days working on a screenplay with an ending that incorporated this idea. According to Paul, the journalist, who insists on anonymity for now, is one of the film’s investors.

Paul shot the teaser trailer in six days in an Aerobus parked in Bombay, India. He estimates that the budget of his film will be about $3.5 million, with a 35-day shoot using more than 200 actors. He plans to release the pic in August.

“People ask me one thing,” Paul said in an interview with Variety. “If you’re saying a theory and suddenly the flight is found and it’s totally the opposite, your investment will be wasted. We will be fools. That’s the biggest challenge I’m facing.”

He also said he doesn’t think the families of the missing plane would find his film insensitive. “I will make sure no passengers will be hurt because of this,” Paul said.

Paul acknowledged that his film is partly a work of fiction, as there is still no evidence about what happened to Flight 370 and its 227 passengers or crew members.

Even though his advertising material featured images with the Malaysian Airlines logo, Paul said he would likely obscure that in the finished film due to copyright laws. He didn’t reveal the ending of his script, but did say that it doesn’t involve guns or aliens, two theories that have been floated by CNN.

“Everyone in the world, they want to know what happened,” Paul said. “Personally if you ask me, I want the truth to come out.”

Paul directed “Kamasutra 3D,” which was announced in Cannes in 2012 and will be released this year.
- variety.com

Cannes: Director Defends Plan to Make Thriller About Missing Malaysian Plane

Making a movie about missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 is a risk, but the film will work as a standalone thriller no matter how the real-life drama plays out, its director tells The Hollywood Reporter.

peaking of his plans to make Vanishing Act, director Rupesh Paul, who also is pushing Kama Sutra 3D in Cannes, says the film "will not affect any passengers' families."

Authorities still are looking for the Boeing 777 plane, which disappeared March 8 with 239 people onboard.

While aware of the sensitivities surrounding the project, Pauls says "no one has complained yet."

However, the film appears to be 
generating plenty of chatter -- much of it negative -- online. Since May 17, when a trailer to promote the project was posted on YouTube, the clip has generated nearly 40,000 views, with 144 dislikes to 55 likes.

The comments have been particularly unforgiving, with many 
arguing that it's too soon for such a movie to be made and others accusing the filmmakers of cashing in.

But the director insists that he is not exploiting the tragedy. "Our movie is a thriller," he says. "It will not be based on stupid things. There will not be a [gun], and there will not be any aliens. The controversy will help indirectly, but we are not cashing in on the flight."

Despite the sensitivity of the subject matter, Paul believes there is a market for the film, "People do not want a documentary; they want a thriller," he says. "Why should I 
make a movie on anything that does not attract people?"

The filmmaker expects to have it ready for a theatrical release in the fall, adding that there has been a lot of interest in Asian markets -- even Malaysia. "We have interest from Malaysian and Chinese companies for co-productions," he says. "The Malaysian company approached me. I didn't approach them."
- hollywoodreporter.com

Possible plot
The aliens did it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aw 83
wow... umm i think this is a terrible idea. A) plane hasn't be found
B) we have no idea at all what happened (none of that BS theory, since it really hasn't yielded any results) and
C) there are thousands of families still grieving and to make a movie based off pure speculations can go horribly wrong

want to make a damn thriller about a missing plane ? what possible BS storyline can they construe that doesnt offend people ?

Last edited:
wow... umm i think this is a terrible idea. A) plane hasn't be found
B) we have no idea at all what happened (none of that BS theory, since it really hasn't yielded any results) and
C) there are thousands of families still grieving and to make a movie based off pure speculations can go horribly wrong

want to make a damn thriller about a missing plane ? what possible BS storyline can they construe that doesnt offend people ?

See my OP. :D
Possible plot
The aliens did it!

Familys still have no idea what has happened to thire loved ones. I can only imagine the depths of despair and hell thay are suffering in.

Sensationalist publicity in total bad tase out to make money on the backs of the greif striken.

Humanity at its lowest .

It is a tragedy to all those people who lost their loved ones on this horrible event regarding this movie it will be interesting to watch and understand what happend to the missing flight with those people through the directors eye will diffinately keep an eye out for this one for sure...

This is an idiotic idea to think that the plane hasn't been found and still searching for it. They should pay attention to the loved ones and friends on board flight mh370. The families are suffering enough yet some people are greedy.