My new toy

Apr 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
HP HDX18t Premium Series customizable Notebook PC
• Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) (Fee upgrade to Windows 7)
• Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Processor Q9000 (2.00Ghz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) - For 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
• 640GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (320GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - For DDR3 Memory
• 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
• Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
• Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)
• Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
• No TV Tuner w/remote control
• Backlit Keyboard
• HP Long Life Battery
• System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
• No Productivity Software
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

will be built by Oct. 16

i ordered it from HP. it was $250 off plus a coupon code for another $250 and so much off accessories. I thought about waiting for their 30% off code, I missed out on the last one.

someday I'm going to attempt to build one.

so i've had this laptop for about 5 days and i love it. something i discovered is that when they were shipping it HP took this model off the website and replaced with the new model. so i configured one and came out $200 cheaper so i ordered it. it should be here by the 4:30pm on the 29th. i will more than likely be returning this one and keeping the newer one.

here is the new one:
dv8t quad edition
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
• FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (320GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
• 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
• Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
• Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Espresso Black)
• Intel Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
• HP Integrated HDTV Hybrid Tuner
• HP Color Matching Keyboard
• Extra 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
• Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

well, i have played with both and i ended up keeping the hp dv8. i love this laptop. the i7 chip is very fast and i like windows 7. blu-ray looks pretty good on here, not perfect, but good. battery life sucks ass! the coolest this about this laptop is the fingerprint reader. i can use it to sign into websites. i find that pretty neat!

I am looking for a notebook myself since stupid Apple did not add BD to their Macbooks I won't be giving them my money so now I got to find one. I am going to check that machine you just got yourself.

i wish it had the backlit keyboard like the one it replaced, but some are thinking that it will fit this one. i'm just waiting for someone to try it.

and there aren't too many options for the i7. hp offers the 720 and the 920. i think it was another $400 to go from the 720 to the 920?

as for gaming on it i haven't had an experience yet but someone on notebook review dot com tried borderlands at i'm assuming 1920x1080(not sure, he just 1920) and said that there were lots of artifacts and was going to try it a lower resloution later.

Last edited: