Some Advice Needed, Thinking About Buying A HP Envy 15

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
Hey All,

Sorry, I realized after writing it, that this message is a bit longwinded and I appreciate the help of anyone who reads it.

To start with I should say that while this would become my main laptop I do have another main use laptop. I have found that for my sanity I do infact need two laptops (more on that later).

So I currently have a 10 month old HP dv6t and a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 1520, which I was using sparingly at this point due to its age and mainly on the dv6t. I am now forced to use the Dell as my main computer over the dv6t since the monitor just died on it this weekend and now has to go back to HP for repair. Since I learnt earlier on I that I needed 2 computers I am not completely freaking out that I don't have a computer during the time they repair it. In the past when I went a while without a personal computer at home I really do get antsy/upset, this my need for a backup computer to use when situations like this arise.

However my Dell is and always has been a lemon, the fact that it has muddled through 5 years is a truly amazing feat and I was considering replacing it soon anyways since I feel I got my use out of it. I also wanted to get a computer now before windows 8 releases as I have heard and read bad things about it. Up until this weekend the dv6t (2nd generation quad core i7, 1080 display, 2gb video card) was working perfectly fine which is why I wanted to go for the Envy.

I do have a 3 year old sony P series computer which I bought for travel purposes (as my netbook) but just didn't work out for me. However that could never replace a main computer for me.

The only thing other thing I should mention is that the dv6t was the first laptop I ever owned with a numeric keypad and I really dislike it. I would like to keep to a 15 inch laptop with a 1080 display option and an island style keyboard. This seems to limit me to the envy 15 or the xps 15z. The Envy seems like a better computer than the XPS 15z though.

I saw a good coupon for the HPs this weekend and I was going to pull the trigger on it but now that the moniter on my dv6t failed I am a little reluctant. If I bought this laptop I would not be looking to buy another for approximately 4 years. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Envy in general? Was it just a fluke on the screen of the dv6t and I should go ahead with the Envy? I understand these thing happen but I don't want to drop another > $1000 on a high end computer and not get a good product. The island style keyboard is important to me

This is the envy I was going to build:

HP ENVY 15 customizable Notebook PC
•Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
•3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM Processor (2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
•1GB Radeon(TM) HD 7750M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
•8GB 1600DDR3MHz System Memory (2 Dimm)
•300GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module)
•$20 OFF Microsoft(R) Office Professional 2010
•FREE 2-year Norton Internet Security subscription (a $99 value). Pre-installed.
•8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - Up to 10.25 hours of battery life +++
•15.6-inch diagonal Radiance Full HD Infinity LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
•SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
•720p HD video streaming webcam supports Skype
•Intel 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) with Wireless Display Support
•Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard
•Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 10 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 10
•2 year limited warranty included
•HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

In case you were wondering, the computer forum I posed this question has a few inital questions they ask to get a feel for waht you are after and I posted them here too in case it would help you out:

1) What is your budget?
$1600 - $1700 on the computer itself. I want Office Professional but that money is budgeted seperately

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
15'' laptop, no others

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I have learnt that no one manufacturer is great. I avoid toshiba and gateway but more for style than quality

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Gaming and general, but I don't want a flashy computer

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both, but battery is not important

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
mostly CS

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
not important

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
7 is fine, no vista

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
1080 only

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
not important

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Yes, and it needs an island style keyboard

15) When are you buying this laptop?
Before windows 8 releases preferably

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
3 years minimum but would prefer 4-5.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
Want an SSD 256 or 300

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
the DV6t mentioned above has a blu-ray and widi,I have a Ps3 and separate blu-ray so while a blu-ray reader is preferable it is not important. my only disappointment in the envy really

The displays in the HP laptops don't usually go out very often. You probably just got a bad one. I have a DV7 and to be perfectly honest I don't really like it. The next one I get will be a Toshiba. They tend to be better built.

On HP's the media board that's above the keyboards have a capacitive strip that make it touch sensitive and the frame around the display when you close the lid it rubs against that capacitive strip. I had to send it in and they replaced the board and it did it again after three months. Finally I found an easy fix that by placing a piece of screen protector across that capacitive strip that it still will allow it to function and not have my volume freakishly go up and down and just randomly turn off and on my WiFi.

So, in my opinion I would not buy an HP, I would instead look at Toshibas. They tend to be built the best.

my father had a toshiba and I was not overly impressed, although his was a low end one. TO be honest I was very happy with the dv6t and if the monitor hadn't gone out on it this weekend i would have likely bought the envy 15 outright.

do you know of a model number in the toshiba line that has 1080 with the new processors by any chance?

The X770 by Toshiba has true 1080p and you can get the latest processors with it as well.

EDIT: My bad, it only does 720p. One review said it did 1080p and then I looked up the specs and it says it supports up to 720p. When I get home from work I'll keep looking.

Last edited: