'New Collector' Questions Thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi all and welcome new Steelbook or other Limited Ed collectors!

I am adding this thread so that new collectors can ask questions about collecting. My hope is that collectors that have been around for a while will be willing to jump in and help answer some of the basic questions about collecting etc.We have all kinds of collectors at hidefninja.com so please don't be afraid to ask questions.

Enjoy!
DB

Helpful general Steelbook threads

Scam/Fake SB Discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
DB - I'll start it off, I have a question? What date was HDN first launched and what the first ever post made? :)

I'm not new to collecting steelbooks but am new to the forum. Where can I find an unbiased value of a catalogue release? So many valuations seem to be on the higher end and persons offering valuations also seem to have a vested interest in giving their opinion.

I'm not new to collecting steelbooks but am new to the forum. Where can I find an unbiased value of a catalogue release? So many valuations seem to be on the higher end and persons offering valuations also seem to have a vested interest in giving their opinion.

Best bet is start on Ebay & do an advanced Search for the steel book you are wanting the price for !!

very easy, to use !! gives you a rough price guide of where you need to be ..and allso , at what times of the Year was the price lowest or Highest !!

You will find now that a lot of the Collectors on HDN & some other Forums are asking a Tad over the Top for thier steelis now :rolleyes:
~ a few reasons for this , I believe is that they are having seperation anxiaty , emotional attachments, scared to sell to cheap & do them selves out of 20 Cents or so !! ect, ect..
lots of different Factors involved , so just try Ebay Advanced search & click the Completed listings Box & you will see , The Reall Prices from now on !!

remember to factor in your Postage costs :thumbs:

Reactions: TakingYoSteelz
Db - thanks for starting this thread. :thumbs:

On the question of sourcing steels - Can a interested buyer like me (avoiding the term 'collector' - I'm pretty sure it'll be a while before I get there!) pre-order the upcoming releases? I know it probably sounds like a stupid question, but the fact is that I live in India and I don't know if any of the online-retailers actually deliver round these parts..

ATM for lack of choice / knowledge / enterprise, I'm just satisfying my need through the bay, a collector in EU who helps me out at times and other sites that I come across. Not sure that I can keep up with that for too long though - the wallet factor is going to kick in soon!

Db - thanks for starting this thread. :thumbs:

On the question of sourcing steels - Can a interested buyer like me (avoiding the term 'collector' - I'm pretty sure it'll be a while before I get there!) pre-order the upcoming releases? I know it probably sounds like a stupid question, but the fact is that I live in India and I don't know if any of the online-retailers actually deliver round these parts..

ATM for lack of choice / knowledge / enterprise, I'm just satisfying my need through the bay, a collector in EU who helps me out at times and other sites that I come across. Not sure that I can keep up with that for too long though - the wallet factor is going to kick in soon!

once you reach 30 posts you can view the trading threads and take part in the various group buys on hdn, you will have access to steels from all over the world:D this place is full of helpful members who will help you to get what you want

Last edited:
Thanks Flip - hopefully will get there soon. Another question that I've been struggling with is with region codes - my PS3 is locked to Region C, and I've got a couple of steels which play despite them showing as Region A in the J card.
Can someone help me understand if the region locking is specific to certain titles / retailers, and for other titles, though the J card claims its locked, the disc is actually region free? For eg: I was thinking about getting the upcoming (hopefully) HMV release of Skyfall which appears to be Region B locked - would it potentially work on my player?

Thanks Flip - hopefully will get there soon. Another question that I've been struggling with is with region codes - my PS3 is locked to Region C, and I've got a couple of steels which play despite them showing as Region A in the J card.
Can someone help me understand if the region locking is specific to certain titles / retailers, and for other titles, though the J card claims its locked, the disc is actually region free? For eg: I was thinking about getting the upcoming (hopefully) HMV release of Skyfall which appears to be Region B locked - would it potentially work on my player?

Hi Bud,

the reason for some Blu-Rays being able to play on your Region "C" Locked Player , is because that some of the studio's release their Blu-Ray Movies with no regional restrictions on them !!

ie: Warner are the best example as almost all their Blu-Ray releases are "Region Free" even If its printed on the back info sheet as being Region "A" or "B" ect, ect... this may well be just for the Governing bodies of that particular Countries requirement that a region Code be printed ??

But you will also find that many Studio's Release "Region Free " Blu-Rays , regardless of what the back info sheet may say ..

Here is a rough Guide as to what I am aware of :

Warner = Region Free
Paramount = Region Free
Universal = Region Free

Lionsgate = 98% Region Locked
Disney = 54% Region Free
Sony = 9% Region Locked

these are not for Gospel 100% accurate , as Universal for instance has many Arms to its Studio's , so the Odd 1 here and there may be Locked !!

But its very reliable what I say ..

Hope that will clear a few things up for you buddy :D

Regs TC

Fyi to anyone new, try not to listen to sweeping generalizations about 'all' private sellers asking prices that are too high or higher than Ebay. As many have said Steelbooks are costly even for a few titles per month. Some people buy extras to trade or sell to help them cover their own costs for their hobby,and as this is the most popular Steelbook site you will find a variety of different traders. Once you care to be a regular member you will make friends and can work with each other to swap titles that may be released in your country for titles released elsewhere. Do research in our threads like the "Value Thread" in the Trading area ( accessible after 30 real posts). Make no mistake, some people are always trying to capitalize on the next OOS our out of print Steelbook but that is not true for many, many people. People are free to sell and trade whatever reasons of course as you are free to make your own decision of what something is "worth" to you. I would also say that it's valuable to read info posted by the Staff, and many of our veteran collectors to help you avoid "noob" pitfalls. We often receive 1st hand info.

Our Staff at HDN has always believed that part of our mission was to help new collectors by answering questions and creating an engaging, friendly and informative community. Take time to educate yourself throughout the site and via posts from many long-time members. Don't rely on one person's opinion. There are also many "tip" threads in the Trading forum (Sometimes stickied) which can help if you are new. Feel free to ask questions, and happy collecting!

:::: Digitalbabe ::::

Staff: Community Manager
Hidefninja.com

From LV-426 on iPhone

Last edited:
New members could also benefit from the Do's and Don'ts thread available here:

https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/21574/

I wish this was available when I joined as some rules are very specific. Generally the mods let most things go unless it gets really out of hand. PM people if there's a problem and block them if they go to far, but then you won't be able to see what they write about you! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey TC,

That is very useful information mate- cheers! I have to wonder how you have those stats EEK!

common knowledge bud !!

like I said before , Ebay & Google are your very best friend ;)

and , once again to reiterate , about so Called "true Valuations' for steel books"

this is not an exact science guys !!

I do find that the majority of HDN members will give a realistic price "of wats it worth" in that particular thread!

Its only when certain members are having a vested interest in a Particular item , that a unethical Valuation may pop its ugly head up ??

Just keep asking for second opinions , or even just "pm" 1 of the staff / Moderators & I am very confident that they will look after you !!

Its not all that hard to fool these guys that try to pick off New & Veterain Members :scat:

Be different with your Wording !! so instead of asking "how much will I be expected to pay for "X" steel book ? "

say some thing like : So, I was wondering what 1 of these "X" steel books I could expect to fetch in today's Market ??

Be Smart !! Don't get sucked into the Scalpers open Arms !!

Be aware of "pm's" that suddenly come to you ??

Report it If you are not sure about it !!

Ask a Staff Member or Moderator for Help !!

that is what they are here for You !!

some of them even volunteer their services for the well being of this awesome website !!

regs TC

Reactions: riddlesNrhymes
As multiple members have stated in various threads - valuation of any item is based on demand and supply, timing and the intrinsic worth that the seller and buyer believe exists of that object. While I may pay more to a particular steel, as an example, than another seller would charge me, I wouldn't be too bothered unless I wanted to sell than item onward for profit. That's coz when I made the decision to pay, I thought that the steel was worth the amount of money that the seller was charging, right?
That of course, does not justify sellers charging thousands of dollars and pounds for steels hoping and waiting for a gullible buyer - esp. when the same thing is being offered for less than 1/2 the price in the listing below it.

As multiple members have stated in various threads - valuation of any item is based on demand and supply, timing and the intrinsic worth that the seller and buyer believe exists of that object. While I may pay more to a particular steel, as an example, than another seller would charge me, I wouldn't be too bothered unless I wanted to sell than item onward for profit. That's coz when I made the decision to pay, I thought that the steel was worth the amount of money that the seller was charging, right?
That of course, does not justify sellers charging thousands of dollars and pounds for steels hoping and waiting for a gullible buyer - esp. when the same thing is being offered for less than 1/2 the price in the listing below it.

DB , has created this thread for New & Old Collectors alike , because these Scalpers as I call them , prey on both New & Old Collectors alike !!

I been stung a few times man !!

they are entitled to ask what ever they want for their items bud :(

You on the Other hand , have to be smart & ask as many people as possible If you think they are taking the P#ss ??

many factors determine steel book prices , so this allso has to be taking into consideration when specifically looking for a certain item !!

TC

DB , has created this thread for New & Old Collectors alike , because these Scalpers as I call them , prey on both New & Old Collectors alike !!

I been stung a few times man !!

they are entitled to ask what ever they want for their items bud :(

You on the Other hand , have to be smart & ask as many people as possible If you think they are taking the P#ss ??

many factors determine steel book prices , so this allso has to be taking into consideration when specifically looking for a certain item !!

TC

Fair enough - anyone would do well to remember that.

While on the thread - how would you be able to spot a lemon when looking for steelbooks on sites such as ebay? I've seen a couple of posts which have referred to an ongoing auction of IM - FS where apparently no one has bid due to a suspicious sticker! Is there a definitive way to look for such a thing?

Fair enough - anyone would do well to remember that.

While on the thread - how would you be able to spot a lemon when looking for steelbooks on sites such as ebay? I've seen a couple of posts which have referred to an ongoing auction of IM - FS where apparently no one has bid due to a suspicious sticker! Is there a definitive way to look for such a thing?

Hi bud,

I dont quite know about this sticker debate ? as I do have 2 Factory sealed Im-fs steel books & I have took off the blue sticker on the front & i generally re stick them on the back..

I have never in my life been privy enough to have ever seen a counterfeit steel book !!

So I would just ask in that forum thread for more info ? as I am sure that there is some guys who have had experience with these kind of things ??

I hate stickers plastered all over the front of a steel book :(

imo I think it clutters the Art Work up ??

regs & G/Luck Daz ;)

Reactions: Researcher
Hi bud,

I dont quite know about this sticker debate ? as I do have 2 Factory sealed Im-fs steel books & I have took off the blue sticker on the front & i generally re stick them on the back..

I have never in my life been privy enough to have ever seen a counterfeit steel book !!

So I would just ask in that forum thread for more info ? as I am sure that there is some guys who have had experience with these kind of things ??

I hate stickers plastered all over the front of a steel book :(

imo I think it clutters the Art Work up ??

regs & G/Luck Daz ;)

Couldn't agree more bud - I always thought that the SB looks best clean, w/o stickies, plastic wrapping, J-cards and the like.
However, the more I read, the more I learn:confused:, I think :naughty:

For the steels I own, I do what you do and am generally happy about it. From a buying perspective, however, it appears (and I may be completely off the mark here) that I do need to be more careful seeing how there could be potential scammers out there?

Cheers! :scat:

Reactions: digitalbabe