Open These Steels! - Or Get A Dent Impression Over Time!

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
When you find steels like this, you got only three choices if you are a sealed collector. Security tags on paper backing like this WILL DENT your sealed steels over time due to the shrink wrap pressing the tag hardly up against the steelbook.

here5.jpg

1) Dont worry, dont care, over time it will get dented - But if you NEVER plan to open it, nor sell it down the road then I guess it doesn't matter.

2) Open it. Or slighly open it - ie. Cut the top of shrink wrap, pull out the paper backing

3) Cut a "slit" inside the plastic from the side - then pull back on the part where the security tag rests; this keeps the tag from pressing hard up against the steelbook - Don't store it tightly in a shelf/rack with other steels or it will press the tag right back up against the steel.

As a collector who keeps steelbooks sealed, if you were to one day sell this steelbook to a collector who opens their steelbooks. They may open it only to find a dent impression. Security tags are quite long, so these dent impressions are also quite long. Hell, they are worse looking than a micro ding.

I've had this happen to me before, so I'm trying to educate everyone so it doesnt happen to you. Anytime you see a steelbook in your collection that has a security tag on the back paper ... POST THE TITLE OF STEELBOOK in this thread.

For all you HARRY POTTER SHELF OWNERS - Harry Potter 7.2 (at least mine) had this on it. If you ram it sealed down into your shelf then you are guaranteeing this dent impression at an even faster rate.

I think WE as steelbook collectors should definitely value any sealed steelbooks with cut slits in shrink wrap on side or cut shrink wrap on top with paper backing out just as much as we would normally value a sealed steelbook.

SECURITY TAG ON PAPER BACKING EDITIONS:

Harry Potter 7.2 FutureShop Exclusive (For some)
Book of Eli FutureShop (pretty sure all)
Watchmen FutureShop (some/all?)
Clash of Titans FutureShop (some/all?)
The Hangover 2 FutureShop (some/all)
Robin Hood FutureShop
Wrath of The Titans 3D Best Buy (pretty sure all)

Terminator Salvation IronPack FutureShop

Attachments

• here6.jpg
    here6.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so since Im a steelbook "opener", lol, I have about 50 back cardboard spec sheets... just stored. Maybe I can go through all of them in a video instead of typing them all up as that will be too much work. Although I don't think I removed any of those security tags from the cardboard slips it is possible that I may have as well on a few so my information might not be 100% accurate....

If I make one I will post it. :D

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

Okay so I just made a video going through all of them. Its a painful 12 minutes long to watch probably for you guys as its Im not great at video's but I hope it will help some of you... I will post it once its uploaded to youtube.

Call me a nutcase, but I take all the backing spec sheets to staples and have them laminated. The process actually makes the color pop and looks pretty cool!

Reactions: WKRP
The FS version of underworld awakening has a security tag inside above the disc holder right across the top edge this has caused a slight dent near the top of the steelbook in mine has anyone else opened theres and found this ?

Call me a nutcase, but I take all the backing spec sheets to staples and have them laminated. The process actually makes the color pop and looks pretty cool!

Might it not be cheaper to buy a personal laminator ? :D Save on all the 'to & fro'-ing as well.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince IronPack FutureShop needs to be added to the list.

I am bummed about opening my Watchmen FS after seeing this thread a few months ago. I had to open it all the way to get to the tag (sorta why they put it there). That's the kind of steel getting so valuable that I'd buy a cheap copy just to see the movie. :rolleyes:

I just thought I would give a heads-up on Wrath of the Titans 3D [US]. It has a security tag under the j-card. :( If you don't open this steelie you might get an impression over time. Luckily for me I open my steelbooks but for those that don't, beware of the security tag.

Reactions: ash333
I just thought I would give a heads-up on Wrath of the Titans 3D [US]. It has a security tag under the j-card. :( If you don't open this steelie you might get an impression over time. Luckily for me I open my steelbooks but for those that don't, beware of the security tag.

Thanks for the post AcId. I had this in mind when I first saw it and then completely forgot about it until I saw your post. I have updated the OP to include this title on the list.

Reactions: Lone Crusader

Thankyou, was just about to add to this thread, saw one on a copy in a YouTube unboxing, have already posted in the Best Buy Wrath of the Titans forum

I bought about 10 steelbooks from amazon.ca and I remember having some security tags on the inside of the steelbooks either above or below the disc on some of them. I don't however remember which ones.
The ones I bought were Heat, From Dusk Till Dawn, Kill Bill vol 1 and 2, V For Vendetta, 300, The Matrix, The Exorcist, The Shawshank Redemption, Traffic and Pan's Labyrinth.
I think there were about 3 to 5 with security tags.
Maybe if they're on the inside it won't dent but I thought I'd let you know.

So is it correct to assume all BB Steels have a security tag on the back? EEK!

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

So is it correct to assume all BB Steels have a security tag on the back? EEK!

Damn! I wounder if the Korean Version of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have this crap under that sleeve... anyone open any of those yet??:ohno:

I had missed that the Wrath of the Titans (Best Buy) was on the list...just watched it on Friday and noticed that little black tag on the cardboard...

Hate those things. Not sure why they got away from doing that on the inside, unless maybe the run was shared or something...

There is no security tag on the Snow White & The Huntsman Best Buy Exclusives that I have seen, but there is a glob of glue in the middle of the back between the slip & the SB on all that I went through. This can cause the same issue as the security tags if not stored correctly.

There is no security tag on the Snow White & The Huntsman Best Buy Exclusives that I have seen, but there is a glob of glue in the middle of the back between the slip & the SB on all that I went through. This can cause the same issue as the security tags if not stored correctly.

Yep, I can confirm this too. Mine had the same. :rolleyes: I'm glad I open my steels.

There is a security tag on the BB dark knight rises steelbooks, but my guess is that most people are opening theirs anyways