Open These Steels! - Or Get A Dent Impression Over Time!

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
When you find steels like this, you got only three choices if you are a sealed collector. Security tags on paper backing like this WILL DENT your sealed steels over time due to the shrink wrap pressing the tag hardly up against the steelbook.

here5.jpg

1) Dont worry, dont care, over time it will get dented - But if you NEVER plan to open it, nor sell it down the road then I guess it doesn't matter.

2) Open it. Or slighly open it - ie. Cut the top of shrink wrap, pull out the paper backing

3) Cut a "slit" inside the plastic from the side - then pull back on the part where the security tag rests; this keeps the tag from pressing hard up against the steelbook - Don't store it tightly in a shelf/rack with other steels or it will press the tag right back up against the steel.

As a collector who keeps steelbooks sealed, if you were to one day sell this steelbook to a collector who opens their steelbooks. They may open it only to find a dent impression. Security tags are quite long, so these dent impressions are also quite long. Hell, they are worse looking than a micro ding.

I've had this happen to me before, so I'm trying to educate everyone so it doesnt happen to you. Anytime you see a steelbook in your collection that has a security tag on the back paper ... POST THE TITLE OF STEELBOOK in this thread.

For all you HARRY POTTER SHELF OWNERS - Harry Potter 7.2 (at least mine) had this on it. If you ram it sealed down into your shelf then you are guaranteeing this dent impression at an even faster rate.

I think WE as steelbook collectors should definitely value any sealed steelbooks with cut slits in shrink wrap on side or cut shrink wrap on top with paper backing out just as much as we would normally value a sealed steelbook.

SECURITY TAG ON PAPER BACKING EDITIONS:

Harry Potter 7.2 FutureShop Exclusive (For some)
Book of Eli FutureShop (pretty sure all)
Watchmen FutureShop (some/all?)
Clash of Titans FutureShop (some/all?)
The Hangover 2 FutureShop (some/all)
Robin Hood FutureShop
Wrath of The Titans 3D Best Buy (pretty sure all)

Terminator Salvation IronPack FutureShop

Attachments

• here6.jpg
    here6.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, on the opening side, if it has the sticky tape thingy around it (if you bought in-store)

so over time the drive steels bought in store would get an impression or dent as well? if kept sealed?

i very much doubt it .. if you look where the tag is its not pressing against the steel its where you open the case ... all mine peeled off with the security tag just have to be nimble with the plastic lol

Reactions: shdl83
will every steel have the security tag in the same place?

If you're still referring to the Drive steels then yes, nearly all will have the security tape applied in the same way. I believe this is so that the bulky white security strip itself is lined up with the opening edges of the steelbook, which allows HMV to stack more of them front to back in the bays. I've noticed that they've been doing this with more and more titles recently.

Spent ages tracking down sealed copies of book of eli and watchmen future shop and now I have to open them or split them to stop them getting dinted well that sucks.
Cheers for letting me know about this though

Open Sherlock Holmes 2 Game of Shadows (BB USA) cause of the security tag on the outside on the back of the overlay card

Reactions: Wreck
Thanks to this thread, now I have to go check all my sealed steelbooks for these security tags. Here's hoping for the best (which means no dents)

I was having the open vs sealed debate with myself earlier. I will open mine but am undecided about whether it not to open the double dip versions I have. After all I don't need to use the discs. What do others do?

As I said before, I'm one of the rare on these boards who actually open ALL his steels and WATCH the movie inside, so problem solved.
(yes, there's a free bonus movie inside those magnificent cases) :hilarious:

I actually also open ALL of my steels to watch the movie. I have none that are un-opened including some really valuable ones (Inglorious Bastards FS, The Town FS, Indiana Jones FS). In my opinion whats the point in not enjoying the movie.