Open These Steels! - Or Get A Dent Impression Over Time!

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
When you find steels like this, you got only three choices if you are a sealed collector. Security tags on paper backing like this WILL DENT your sealed steels over time due to the shrink wrap pressing the tag hardly up against the steelbook.

here5.jpg

1) Dont worry, dont care, over time it will get dented - But if you NEVER plan to open it, nor sell it down the road then I guess it doesn't matter.

2) Open it. Or slighly open it - ie. Cut the top of shrink wrap, pull out the paper backing

3) Cut a "slit" inside the plastic from the side - then pull back on the part where the security tag rests; this keeps the tag from pressing hard up against the steelbook - Don't store it tightly in a shelf/rack with other steels or it will press the tag right back up against the steel.

As a collector who keeps steelbooks sealed, if you were to one day sell this steelbook to a collector who opens their steelbooks. They may open it only to find a dent impression. Security tags are quite long, so these dent impressions are also quite long. Hell, they are worse looking than a micro ding.

I've had this happen to me before, so I'm trying to educate everyone so it doesnt happen to you. Anytime you see a steelbook in your collection that has a security tag on the back paper ... POST THE TITLE OF STEELBOOK in this thread.

For all you HARRY POTTER SHELF OWNERS - Harry Potter 7.2 (at least mine) had this on it. If you ram it sealed down into your shelf then you are guaranteeing this dent impression at an even faster rate.

I think WE as steelbook collectors should definitely value any sealed steelbooks with cut slits in shrink wrap on side or cut shrink wrap on top with paper backing out just as much as we would normally value a sealed steelbook.

SECURITY TAG ON PAPER BACKING EDITIONS:

Harry Potter 7.2 FutureShop Exclusive (For some)
Book of Eli FutureShop (pretty sure all)
Watchmen FutureShop (some/all?)
Clash of Titans FutureShop (some/all?)
The Hangover 2 FutureShop (some/all)
Robin Hood FutureShop
Wrath of The Titans 3D Best Buy (pretty sure all)

Terminator Salvation IronPack FutureShop

Attachments

• here6.jpg
    here6.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:
Thats because you've found pristine copies, then resealed some. Least that's what you said with sucker punch.

I bet the glue behind alliance CA titles probably isnt good to be there for long period of times on sealed steels. Tho perhaps some type of spray could clean that off a couple years later if someone were to open one that far beyond.

I've had sealed steels that look 100% pristine, only to open it and behind paper backing is a small scratch or ding that happened BEFORE it was shrink wrapped. This could be the same of your collection xage ; unless of course you opened, checked, resealed etc.

I got one of the french Total Recall steelbooks from amazon.es recently, and it had been in stock so long that the glue had gone completely rock hard. The data sheet on the back tore to shreds when I tried to peel it off. The glue didn't leave any marks, but I practically had to chisel the stuff off.

I got one of the french Total Recall steelbooks from amazon.es recently, and it had been in stock so long that the glue had gone completely rock hard. The data sheet on the back tore to shreds when I tried to peel it off. The glue didn't leave any marks, but I practically had to chisel the stuff off.

No need to chisel... use some vegetable cooking oil with + cloth + patience and = wallah!

Ok so since Im a steelbook "opener", lol, I have about 50 back cardboard spec sheets... just stored. Maybe I can go through all of them in a video instead of typing them all up as that will be too much work. Although I don't think I removed any of those security tags from the cardboard slips it is possible that I may have as well on a few so my information might not be 100% accurate....

If I make one I will post it. :D

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

Okay so I just made a video going through all of them. Its a painful 12 minutes long to watch probably for you guys as its Im not great at video's but I hope it will help some of you... I will post it once its uploaded to youtube.

Ok so here is the video guys... sorry for the shoddy video work (I will improve for the next time, lol). I went through about at least 50-60 steelbooks so it should cover a good chunk of them. I was a bit unorganized about it so it took me longer then it should have and its a bit shaky. Like I said will do a better job for next time.

[media=youtube]vHqqr5ICGHc[/media]&feature=g-upl&context=G238b5f4AUAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited by a moderator:
...and yes, the glue that comes with the cardboard can leave a hard residue after some time. be careful when you scrape it off ;)

Heat Gun does the magic on it - with such ease

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Heat = kills the uber annoying packaging "adhesives" like security tags

Great video there steelbook86..

I have Green Lantern FS also with security tags on back

Great video there steelbook86..

I have Green Lantern FS also with security tags on back

no problem, Elena. I hope it helps a few peeps in here as I went through a lot of them. Too bad I threw a good amount out early in my collecting days and only recently started keeping the spec sheets.

After the video I took all the glue of the ones that had it stuck to them, lol, and neatly organized all of them as it was a mess before as you can see in the video.

no problem, Elena. I hope it helps a few peeps in here as I went through a lot of them. Too bad I threw a good amount out early in my collecting days and only recently started keeping the spec sheets.

After the video I took all the glue of the ones that had it stuck to them, lol, and neatly organized all of them as it was a mess before as you can see in the video.

:joy:

Hey Wreck...good thread. Maybe start a list in the OP for quick reference of steels to be aware of.
I have a FS WATCHMEN & CLASH OF THE TITANS both with the security bar underneath the cardboard insert.

ROBIN HOOD (CA FS)

I can confirm that Clash of the Titans (Future Shop) has the security tag under the cardback. :ohno: :angry:

Reactions: Munstarz40
Slightly OT as IP's not SB's but still about tags

I know this is Steelbook thread not Ironpack but I have just bought 2 Terminator Salvation (FS) and I noticed that both of them had the dreaded security tag on the back of the data sheet. I have put them back to back with thin piece of high density foam to relieve the pressure (I hope). Still on the Ironpack theme, I notice that the original Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince also had a tag on the back of the data sheet.

I felt something on the back of my POTC DMC SB. Turns out that's a bonus disc. Those may also be trouble. Hmmm

My "Watchmen FutureShop (some/all?)" has the security tag. Only one out of 45.

Last edited:
Had tag on POTC on stranger tides from HMV but was on the outside and managed to carefully peel off the wrap without tearing so dunno if this counts

I know this is Steelbook thread not Ironpack but I have just bought 2 Terminator Salvation (FS) and I noticed that both of them had the dreaded security tag on the back of the data sheet. I have put them back to back with thin piece of high density foam to relieve the pressure (I hope). Still on the Ironpack theme, I notice that the original Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince also had a tag on the back of the data sheet.

hate to say it, but I would almost bet it has a dent impression. My sealed one I got a while back in a trade, I opened and had a nice impression. :(

ps. I'm sure many people have seen the trend here. And that is, that its done on the retail request level. And all so far have been FutureShop.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

I have 100% sealed Bluray Steelbook Collection and 100% confidence level that all are in excellent pristine dentless condition :)

FYI - I saw in another thread you posted a pic of your HP steels in the HP box. I thought you should know its clearly obvious you have HP 7.2 with security tag and mashed up in that HP box. Good luck with that in a year. ;)

I decided to open my sealed BOE partly from fear of this issue. Also the cello was torn anyways ... so I used those two factors as a good excuse to open the thing. Luckily there was no dent or impression on it, so all is well. :D

Really nice looking steel too!

Just got Karate Kid (FS) in the mail and noticed right away that it does have a security tag on the paper backing. Guess I will be opening this one up.