Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Share your thoughts on the nominees and vote for the film you think will win 'Best Picture'. Enjoy!

Shop Nominees here

Winner list courtesy CBS News:

Best Picture: "12 Years a Slave"

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"

Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club"

Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club"

Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave"

Best Adapted Screenplay: "12 Years a Slave," John Ridley

Best Original Screenplay: "Her," Spike Jonze

Best Director: Alfonoso Cuaron, "Gravity"

Achievement in Costume Design: "The Great Gatsby," Catherine Martin

Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling: "Dallas Buyers Club," Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews

Best Animated Short Film: "Mr. Hublot" Laurent Witz and Alexandre Espigares

Best Animated Feature Film: "Frozen"

Achievement in Visual Effects: "Gravity," Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk and Neil Corbould

Best Live Action Short Film: "Helium," Anders Walter and Kim Magnusson

Best Documentary Short Subject: "The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life," Malcolm Clarke and Nicholas Reed

Best Documentary Feature: "20 Feet from Stardom," Morgan Neville, Gil Friesen and Caitrin Rogers

Best Foreign Language Film: "The Great Beauty," Italy

Achievement in Sound Mixing: "Gravity" Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro

Achievement in Cinematography: "Gravity," Emmanuel Lubezki

Achievement in Sound Editing: "Gravity," Glenn Freemantle

Achievement in Film Editing: "Gravity," Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger

Achievement in Production Design: "The Great Gatsby," Catherine Martin; Set Decoration: Beverley Dunn

Best Original Score: "Gravity" Steven Price

Best Original Song: "Let It Go" from "Frozen," Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez and performed by Idina Menzel

Last edited:
Reactions: M and J
12 Years A Slave or American Hustle

Both of these films had top-notch directing, acting, music, set/costume design and cinematography. I felt completely transported watching these. Two top tier films that are entirely deserving of the award. I think the edge goes to 12 Years A Slave, because the screenplay was a little better than American Hustle (and certainly more significant).

(Disclosure: haven't yet seen: Dallas Buyers Club, Her, Nebraska and Philomena. But I can't see any of those besting 12 Years or Hustle.)

I have seen Gravity,American Hustler, 12 Years Slave, Captain Phillips and The Wolf of Wall Street.

I think for the Best Picture it will go for Gravity or 12 Years Slave

The Wolf of Wall Street. Best written, acted and directed movie of 2013. And if American Hustle somehow wins, that would be typical Oscar bulls***.

Who will, and who should win, well...

Best Supporting Actor (Female) -
Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Should Win: Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave)

Best Supporting Actor (Male) -
Will Win: Matthew McConaughey (MUD)
Should Win: Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)

Best Actor (Female) -
Will Win: Amy Adams (American Hustle)
Should Win: Adele Exarchopoulos (Blue Is The Warmest Color)

Best Actor (Male) -
Will Win: Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Should Win: Leonardo Dicaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)

Best Director -
Will Win: Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave)
Should Win: Martin Scorsese (The Wolf of Wall Street)

Best Animated Picture:
Will Win: Frozen (Disney)
Should Win: Turbo (Dreamworks)

Best Picture
Will Win: 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen)
Should Win: The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese)

Best Actor (Male) -
Will Win: Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Should Win: Leonardo Dicaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)

Definitely this. Leo was absolutely insane in this movie (in the best way). That speech that he gives to his company (if you've seen the film I think you'll know what I'm talking about) is gripping. The best acted scene all year. *And now I'm thinking about all the other scenes he was great in...not to mention that he does excellent voice-over for a lot of the film.* If he gets snubbed again this year, I think we count him out from ever receiving it. The Academy would be crazy to not give Dicaprio this award.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluprint
Jared Leto is 100% winning best supporting actor, it wouldn't surprise me if his name isn't already engraved on the statue.

Three of the acting awards are already locked, the only one that is still up for debate is best supporting actress, it's between 3 Jennifer Lawrence, June Squibb or Lupita Nyong'o.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gravity. Of the films nominated, I think it's the best all around. It's a truly amazing visual spectacle. I think 12 Years a Slave is overrated. If American Hustle wins, I wouldn't be ecstatic, but I would be okay with it.

Best Supporting Actor (Female)
Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Should Win: Meryl Streep (August: Osage County) [somehow is in the lead actress category, despite Julia Roberts feeling like the lead in the movie]

Best Supporting Actor (Male)
Will Win: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
Should Win: Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)

Best Actor (Female)
Will Win: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Should Win: Emma Thompson (Saving Mr. Banks) [not even nominated, which is sad]

Best Actor (Male)
Will Win: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Should Win: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Director
Will Win: Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave)
Should Win: Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)

Best Animated Feature
Will Win: Frozen
Should Win: The Wind Rises

Best Picture
Will Win: 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen)
Should Win: Gravity (Alfonso Cuaron)

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

I think Leo deserves an Oscar and has for some time. The last 3 years he should have won and didn't even get nominated (Inception, J. Edgar, Django Unchained). But I don't see him beating McConaughey this year.

Have read the thread's title and voted for 12 Years a Slave, and then read the question above the results.. Of course, every fiber of my soul votes for Gravity. 12 Years a Slave is overrated, but it's very Oscar-type movie..

As someone who saw all nine films nominated for best Oscar. I think the Academy will share the wealth this year because so many movies deserve the recognition. I had DiCaprio for best actor until I saw Dallas Buyers Club recently. McConaughey will win (still rooting for Leo though). Amy Adams should win for American Hustle, but won't...it'll go to Cate Blanchett. Jared Leto is a lock for supporting actor. Lupita Nyong'o will take the Oscar for supporting actress (too soon for Jennifer Lawrence to win another this early in her career). Alfonso Cuaron will win in a tight race with Steve McQueen for director. The award for best picture is a difficult decision (you never know what The Academy will do). Although I enjoyed The Wolf of Wall Street more, 12 Years A Slave will take the prize.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

I was watching Prisoners last night (forgot how powerful this film was). This movie should have been nominated for more Oscars - best picture, Hugh Jackman for best actor, Paul Dano for best supporting, and best cinematography just to name a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Driver
My Anticipation is growing!!

Hopefully Fassbender wins a golden boy :)

Best Picture : Dallas Buyers Club

Last edited:
I've only seen these:

American Hustle- this was my most anticipated movie out of all these but I was really underwhelmed. I thought the plot was messy and the hustle itself was not too impressive. Great performances though especially Bale.

Captain Phillips- A very solid thriller but nothing too special really. Would not want to watch it again, once is enough.

Dallas Buyers Club- Very well acted, McConaughey wowed me. I think he's a lock to win best actor. But the movie and story itself was not my cup of tea.

Gravity- seeing this in the theater I had really no expectations but after the first 20 mins, I knew I was watching something very special. Awesome effects and great acting from Sandra. This is my pick for Best Film.

Wolf of Wall Street- I love Marty and Leo. I am rooting for both to win Best Director and Actor. Leo gave his best acting here I think. The story is great and the most fun of all of these, but I felt it was a little similar to Goodfellas, and that movie was way better. If Gravity doesn't win then I hope this does.

Last edited:
I saw Philomena, 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club and Wolf last Sat and was to see the other 5 tomorrow. However damn sinus infection will probably make me miss it. From last week's group I thought 12 Years a Slave was the best film...but I loved Gravity (which I saw in IMAX 3D earlier). I think the award showdown may come down to 12 Years, Gravity and American Hustle....

::Staff/Community Manager::

Reactions: kbr1656 and Drum18