PS4 PlayStation 4 - Main discussion thread

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK

In preparation for tomorrow's announcement, Sony Playstation have released a video which looks back at the evolution of Playstation games and how they pushed the boundaries of play with their innovative titles.

You can watch a global livestream broadcast of the PlayStation Meeting this Wednesday (February 20th, 2013) starting at 6:00pm EST, 3:00pm PST and 11:00pm GMT at these links...

US: https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/
UK: http://uk.playstation.com/meeting2013/

UPDATE:

8492670863_9a2f640988_z.jpg

A press release reveals the machine will include an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU developed by AMD and a Radeon GPU with the capability of terrorizing televisions with 1.84 TFLOPS of gaming goodness.

PlayStation 4 includes a Blu-ray drive that spins game discs a brisk 6X and 8X for DVDs. Additional specs in the release note the, already revealed, 8GB of unified GDDR5 RAM along with 802.11n WiFi capability, USB 3.0 ports, Bluetooth 2.1 and ports for optical audio, HDMI and even legacy analog AV hook-ups. Though the console will have internal storage, Sony did not detail its size.

Sony's plan is to launch its new PlayStation 4 console this holiday season. No specific date or price was revealed during the reveal event.

The PS4's main features include:

• - New DualShock 4 controller with built in touchpad
  • - Dramatically improved graphics and processing power
  • - Based on same X86 chips used in desktop computer to help game developers
  • - 3D camera that can track the controller, and the player
  • - Games can also be played on Sony's Vita handheld console

8492669461_b49583fd3c_z.jpg

The future of PlayStation is all about great games and entertainment, and at PlayStation Meeting 2013, we brought some of the brightest and most creative minds from the development community on stage to unveil the games that will define PS4. A partial initial lineup for PlayStation 4 includes first-party games from Guerilla Games (Killzone: Shadow Fall), Sucker Punch (inFamous Second Son), Evolution Studios (Driveclub), and Japan Studio (Knack), as well as titles from our partners such as Activision/Bungie (Destiny), Blizzard Entertainment (Diablo III), Capcom (Deep Down), and Ubisoft (Watch_Dogs). PlayStation also reinforced its commitment to self-publishing and the independent development community by having Jonathan Blow onstage who gave a sneak peek of his upcoming title The Witness. Finally, the incredible minds at Media Molecule and Quantic Dream gave glimpses of their conceptualization process and the future of gameplay with some remarkable footage. We only scratched the surface at the event, and will have many more exciting titles to come.

8493773646_10ac209e68_z.jpg

Our next generation console will change the way you interact with friends while you play. PlayStation 4 lets you instantly share images and videos of your favorite gameplay moments on Facebook with a single press on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s “share” button. You can also broadcast while you play in real-time through Ustream, allowing friends to comment or jump into your game in new ways.

With PlayStation 4 we also want you to access your games quicker than ever before. PS4’s “suspend mode” eliminates the load time on your saved game and allows you to immediately return to where you left off by pressing the power button. PlayStation 4’s background downloading and updating capability also allows you to immediately play digital titles as they download, or update the system when the hardware is powered off.

8493772456_34a85b7767_z.jpg

8493772390_9edab1aa58_n.jpg
8493772388_932586c069_n.jpg

DUALSHOCK 4 adopts the familiar form factor of the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller with some key enhancements:
  • - Motion control is enabled by a new highly sensitive six-axis sensor
  • - Dual analog sticks fine-tuned for better precision plus improved surface materials and shape for more delicate manipulation
  • - L2/R2 buttons on the top of the controller employ a curved design for easier, smoother interaction
  • - A new “Options” button combines the functions of the DUALSHOCK 3’s “Select” and “Start” buttons for operating in-game menus

You can see more images of the new DUALSHOCK 4 controller here.

Attachments

• PS.png
    PS.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 6,925
Last edited:
Thanks to those who filled in for me during PlayStation's E3 press conference last night (I needed to be up early this morning, so had to give it a miss unfortunately) and have kindly posted all the latest news and announcements. I'm just catching up on the conference now, so will post my reactions and replies (@bloodsnake007) once I've got around to seeing everything. :thumbs:

• Helpful Post
Reactions: bloodsnake007

Watch the exclusive trailer for the new TV service, PlayStation Vue. Learn more at www.psvue.com

National premiere of the PlayStation Vue trailer. Now available in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and San Francisco Bay Area. Enjoy local broadcast, cable and sports networks through your PlayStation system. Thousands of hours of cloud storage, no long-term commitments and accessible on your PS4/3 console today. Start your 7-day free trial of TV the way it was mean to be. Start Vueing.

Media Player launches on PS4 today!

1.jpg

The Media Player works with both your home server and when plugging a USB stick with media into one of the available ports on the PS4. Your home server will appear as a media option in the player automatically and finding your media is simple and quick. You may also simply enjoy music as background music on your PS4. More info here.

File formats and codecs:

Video
  • MKV
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • AVI
    • Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • MP4
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    • Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
  • MPEG-2 TS
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
    • Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
    • AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)
Photo
  • JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
  • BMP
  • PNG
Music
  • MP3
  • AAC (M4A)

Reactions: djs1401
Thanks to those who filled in for me during PlayStation's E3 press conference last night (I needed to be up early this morning, so had to give it a miss unfortunately) and have kindly posted all the latest news and announcements. I'm just catching up on the conference now, so will post my reactions and replies (@bloodsnake007) once I've got around to seeing everything. :thumbs:
@Noodles No worries my friend :)

It was my pleasure to assist you with some of those trailers :thumbs: I really enjoyed the PS Conference, definitely one of the best in years! :cool:

Reactions: Noodles
So with Arkham Knight PC version being so poor (and other recently PC ports being poor too)...I am getting very tempted to get a PS4 lol I'd get the Silver Batman edition if I was to get one

So what do you guys think on the newer released PS4 in the Asian market?

Its slightly lighter and consumes slightly less power.

The HDD cover is now a matt finish and the power and eject buttons are now physical buttons.

I'm thinking of getting this if its released worldwide as i sometimes hate the touch buttons.

The HDD cover is now a matt finish and the power and eject buttons are now physical buttons.

I'm thinking of getting this if its released worldwide as i sometimes hate the touch buttons.
Sounds pretty good. I much prefer physical buttons over touch buttons, as they're usually either too sensitive (my PS4) or unresponsive (my TV). Obviously if you haven't already got a PS4, then by all means try and track one of these down! Personally, I'm waiting for them to release a PS4 Slim with a bigger HDD.

Sounds pretty good. I much prefer physical buttons over touch buttons, as they're usually either too sensitive (my PS4) or unresponsive (my TV). Obviously if you haven't already got a PS4, then by all means try and track one of these down! Personally, I'm waiting for them to release a PS4 Slim with a bigger HDD.

I think i'll do the same,. I did this with my PS3, when i went from the phat one with 60GB to slim with 500GB.

i now use my controller to turn the PS4 on and off

I think i'll do the same,. I did this with my PS3, when i went from the phat one with 60GB to slim with 500GB.

i now use my controller to turn the PS4 on and off
That's exactly what I did too mate (PS3 phat to slim). I also use my controller to power on/off my PS4, but I've lost count of how many times I accidentally turned it on while cleaning around my desk... I should probably just unplug it from now on lol.

I can't stand the touch buttons on my PS4 console. I couldn't even find the damn things when i first got it upon release.

July USA PS+ Free Games

7th July:

Rocket League (PS4)
Styx Master of Shadows (PS4)
Rain (PS3)
Mousecraft (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved (PS Vita)
Entwined (PS4/PS Vita)

Available now: DRIVECLUB PS Plus Edition

Reactions: luke98
Nice one, @bloodsnake007. Great video! How are you liking it so far? Sorry to hear you couldn't get a pink controller. :hilarious:

P.S. I've moved your post to the PS4 thread... I hope that's okay! :)
@Noodles Awesome! Thanks for moving the post to the appropriate thread! :thumbs:

I'm loving the smoothness of it, it's a kick ass console! :thumbs: Though I didnt get the chance to devirginize it :meh:... Alyssa wanted to be the 1st one to play Arkham Knight! :squint: WOMEN! :mad: :rolleyes: :p

Pink controller!? :rofl: :hilarious: My search continues, I will own one! :woot:

Epic Unboxing video.Also, the Wife has some snap.If i was working at the Best Buy , i would be online trying to find that pink controller
tyg7.gif
.And she played your birthday game before you did lol.
LOL! :woot: :rofl: @dboy99 Thanks buddy! ;)

I seriously had to keep my cool when she played before I did! :squint: What I really wanted to do was:
Leonardo-Dicaprio.gif

:D
@bloodsnake007 If you cant find a pink PS4 controller you can always make one by getting one of the shells off ebay :LOL:
@Tacozilla Trust me... she already checked ebay, amazon, best buy, walmart and even gamestop! :wacky: Still nothing!

No matter what, sooner or later she's gonna get a Pink Controller! :meh: :rolleyes: :p

Reactions: AnubisNefer
Reactions: bloodsnake007