Region Free Blu-ray Players (World Wide List)

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Post models/tips here for multi-region players.

Models for Purchase in the US

OPPO BDP-103-Link -requires kit to make region free.

SONY BDP-S1100 Link

Models for Purchase in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a Panasonic 75 (Region A) last year when my PS3 kicked the bucket.
Last weekend I bought a Pansonic DMP BDP310 (Region B) for not much more than I paid for the DMP BDP75. I'm pretty much covered, though I plan to purchase the enhanced Update disc so that I can watch Dredd 3D whenever I upgrade my projector.

Could anyone please give me some ideas on a decent region free blu ray player,which I can buy in the UK,as I don't want too import one.any ideas on one with a value,no more than £200 uk pounds would be greatly appreciated.Ty all :thumbs:

Could anyone please give me some ideas on a decent region free blu ray player,which I can buy in the UK,as I don't want too import one.any ideas on one with a value,no more than £200 uk pounds would be greatly appreciated.Ty all :thumbs:

Cookster, I recently purchased a Toshiba bdx1200 player from Ebay for £38, including postage. This was a refurbished model, looked new when it arrived via courier!

This model and the 1100bdx can be made region free (both DVD & Blu-ray) with a simple firmware update, available via trusty google....

Worked a treat for me!:thumbs:

Quick question,
I have the ever-so popular INSIGNIA NS-WBRDVD2, but havent used it in over a year (to watch Tinker Tailor). I just moved and hooked this player up to a new TV. The player has never been hooked up to internet or had FIRMWARE upgraded. Is there something else I need to do to get 9-1-1-3 to work again? I try to do it in the main menu, and all I get is "the ghostbuster" symbol in the right corner, not allowing my entry.

Any thoughts?

I'm having the same problem. New TV, it's worked before on it though, and now I get the Prohibited message.

Nope it just erases everything else to factory but the firmware stays the same. You can try and downgrade the firmware again and see if that helps. BR Forums has a thread dedicated to the Insignia's along with the Firmware downloads.

I was so upset that this didn't work out. I really wanted to order one. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a region free, sigh

Does anyone have a solution for an inexpensive player I can make region free? Model numbers? Thanks

Godspeed compadre :D

Instead of going through the trouble of downloading through a PC that I don't have, I just burned the .iso file to a blank data CD. Popped it into the Insignia and it asked if I wanted to "upgrade". Definitely saving that CD by my Blu-ray player in case my brother connects to the Wi-Fi again.

Reactions: ocielz
Instead of going through the trouble of downloading through a PC that I don't have, I just burned the .iso file to a blank data CD. Popped it into the Insignia and it asked if I wanted to "upgrade". Definitely saving that CD by my Blu-ray player in case my brother connects to the Wi-Fi again.

So now it's back to being region free?

Tested it tonight with a Region B locked disc and it worked fine. For the first time, it remembered the Configure Player option and I didn't have to re-enter the code. I used to have to do it every time.

I still have to configure it everytime I turn it on.

The only thing I hate is the Loading. UNIVERSAL movies take a long time to load up, 2 to 3 minutes. Same thing with Fox studios blu's, Taken 2 took a long time to load. I recently added a USB stick for Blu ray data storage. It seems to load up faster now, I'm guessing it's the save date from the USB Stick:confused: I don't think it has Internal memory itself?

fyi lolwut .... resetting it to factory settings may have actually solved your issue. As my 2nd player that I bought was just like that and set back to factory settings then everything worked fine.

fyi lolwut .... resetting it to factory settings may have actually solved your issue. As my 2nd player that I bought was just like that and set back to factory settings then everything worked fine.

Really? It didn't work for me after resetting it to factory settings. It only worked after I downgraded my firmware.