Retro Movie Poster Chat Thread

blumaster

Premium Supporter
Mar 12, 2012
Omaha
Probably the coolest movie posters ever created....
egt582.jpg

starwarsrussia.jpg

star-wars-russian-movie-poster-puma-style.jpg

5443.jpg

:thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
circa 1990 movie posters from the first American movie to ever be released in Russia. I've been dying for the Rock Monster one for a couple of years now. The 3 sheet, Space Cowboy goes for insane money. And yes, that is a Cat Vader.

I've been dying for the Rock Monster one for a couple of years now.

Agreed, the Rock Monster one is super cool, IMHO, and I would not mind getting me one of those.

FYI, all except for the third one attached, say "Star Wars", a "galactic western"; the third informs us that it is a "cosmic western". Thought it was kind of funny :)

you guys are insane. These pieces are great. Interpretative art at it's finest. Absolutely unique visions by artists who lived under communist pressures.

Last edited:
you guys are insane. These pieces are great. Interpretative art at it's finest. Absolutely unique visions by artists who lived under communist pressures.

Even at an interpretive level these don't make sense, unless the artists had never seen the movies at all. If I can't identify an element from the movie in the poster, it stops being a movie poster and simply become an art piece. I can't go draw an image of a turtle and call it a jaws poster.

Even at an interpretive level these don't make sense, unless the artists had never seen the movies at all. If I can't identify an element from the movie in the poster, it stops being a movie poster and simply become an art piece. I can't go draw an image of a turtle and call it a jaws poster.

Exactly, had blu not pointed out that these are Star Wars posters I'd never have guessed. Surely the whole point of art is for the buyer to be able to identify with the piece and at the very least know what the heck it is, and it looks to me like nobody here other than blu can do so.

You're not looking close enough....

Space Cowboy is Han Solo.

Rock Monster is Jabba the Hut with the Death Star over him, plus the warp speed light streaks.

Alien Sex Party is Mos Eisley.

The only one that has little to do with the movie is Cat Vader.

Again, this is interpretative art at it's finest, imo. Artists who lived under communist pressures creating their own unique visions of the first American film to be released in Russia. Interpretations that you simply will never see from a western artist.

I'm honestly shocked that not only do you guys think these are bad, but you can't even form a connection between the posters and the movies. I thought HDN was comprised of mostly affluent, educated people that didn't need things spelled out for them, but especially the damn Space Cowboy being Han Solo.

Can late 80's, early 90's Russians really have a better imagination the people on this message board?

Last edited:
because having eyes on your rib cage has nothing to do with Alien.

I've never seen the movie before, so if someone could tell me how these aliens come to life, I'd appreciate it.