Snowpiercer - Ultimate Edition (Blu-ray SteelBook with books) [France]

Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release date: April 2, 2014
Purchase link: Amazon FR
Price: €39.99 €28.46
Note: Korean famous director Bong Joon-ho's first international movie. The original is French comics. Cast are Chris Evans, Ed Harris, Tilda Swinton, Song Kang-ho, John Hurt, Jamie Bell, Octavia Spencer. I think that this movie is best movie of 2013. France started pre-order first.

81U6GpTzrrL._SL1024_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, for those extra €15 (perhaps it'll reduce to €34.99 when we'll get closer to release date), you get 2 books :

— On the left is a 60-page sketch book by Jean-Marc Roquette (the artist of the original comic book), sketches he created for the film (in which he has a cameo as an artist drawing things, btw).

— On the right is a 80-page book entitled "From Transperceneige to Snowpiercer : how to create a blockbuster outside of the Hollywood studio system". It will be written in French.

Now, it doesn't hurt to remind people that it's very likely the only subtitles on the Blu-ray (and the DVD that goes with it) are going to be in French, so probably no English subs, and let's remember that roughly 10% of the film in Korean, courtesy of cast member Song Kang-ho and Go Ah-sung.

But if you want be sure to have the 126-minute original cut (and not the 100-minute "action" cut with added voiceover at the beginning and the end so that "people in Ioha or Oklahoma can understand" - © Harvey Weinstein), this is the one to get (or the version without the two books, though they sound nice), even if you only understand 90% of the film (but French's not that complicated :D, you might guess what the Korean actors are saying based on the French subtitles).

FYI, for those extra €15 (perhaps it'll reduce to €34.99 when we'll get closer to release date), you get 2 books :

— On the left is a 60-page sketch book by Jean-Marc Roquette (the artist of the original comic book), sketches he created for the film (in which he has a cameo as an artist drawing things, btw).

— On the right is a 80-page book entitled "From Transperceneige to Snowpiercer : how to create a blockbuster outside of the Hollywood studio system". It will be written in French.

Now, it doesn't hurt to remind people that it's very likely the only subtitles on the Blu-ray (and the DVD that goes with it) are going to be in French, so probably no English subs, and let's remember that roughly 10% of the film in Korean, courtesy of cast member Song Kang-ho and Go Ah-sung.

But if you want be sure to have the 126-minute original cut (and not the 100-minute "action" cut with added voiceover at the beginning and the end so that "people in Ioha or Oklahoma can understand" - © Harvey Weinstein), this is the one to get (or the version without the two books, though they sound nice), even if you only understand 90% of the film (but French's not that complicated :D, you might guess what the Korean actors are saying based on the French subtitles).

Well Korea should get the full version of the movie on blu too as Weinstein dont hold rights over there. Plus they usually include English subs.

Reactions: digitalbabe
Looks good, and I really enjoyed 'The Host' (I own both the Steel, and the HD DVD), but I am on the fence with the french text and no English subs. I'll wait to see if anyone else releases this....

This indeed looks the dog's dangles (testicals) WOW a true thing of beauty. Need a mop to soak up the drool :drool:.

so hoping the U.K gets uncut and something just as breathtaking. Wish now I did better at French at school hell sometimes I strugle with my native English.

If the U.K and others ARE overlooked the best hope is for a wide range of Audio and Subtitle choice :ohno: that I think whould make a lot of happy Ninjas ME being one of them espesherly with a group buy hint hint :D.

Are there a lot of foreign scenes in this movie? In other words, how necessary are the subs? Went ahead and pre-ordered this as it looks like an awesome little package (and movie).

Are there a lot of foreign scenes in this movie? In other words, how necessary are the subs? Went ahead and pre-ordered this as it looks like an awesome little package (and movie).

Is there anyone who has seen this that can answer this? Can the movie be figured out if you do not understand the 10% that is Korean? How important are those to the plot of the film? This looks a thing of beauty but the lack of English subs is holding me back from my order. :(

Movie is absolutely incredible! There are a lot af action, Korean Style. it looked like an american movie but with a Korean style for the action scenes. Visually impressive. And somewhat philosophical... Very, very interesting. A definitive top of y 2013 movies and a definitive buy. It is cult imo.
I don't remember it having a lot of korean language scenes... maybe from time to time when the father discuss with his daughter, but I think you can understand the movie without these few lines.
And you can still buy the collector edition and then find the movie in English elsewhere...