Solo: A Star Wars Story (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: November 9, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order August 29 at 7 AM for Red Carpet, 9 AM for general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99

D1CB372A-4EB9-4A5D-8A83-406BDC3021B1.jpeg

267BFE2C-E409-4984-9E97-206A8E9CE0E3.jpeg
BF81AC85-AEB2-4F8A-BD37-292BFA65E9FC.jpeg
298051FE-BB01-48AB-BBA5-69AC3F1941CE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has been charged too. I’ve got the 4K + 3D + 2D + Bonus for this and Rogue One (and the entire sequel trilogy), and will eagerly swap in four-disc flip tray frames and discs without the ugly UK ratings logos.

xKy5qeX.jpg

I could do with some of those trays as I've got 3D for Solo, Rogue One, Last Jedi and Force Awakens here. Wouldn't mind getting rid of the steels but keeping the 3D disc.

Mine has been charged too. I’ve got the 4K + 3D + 2D + Bonus for this and Rogue One (and the entire sequel trilogy), and will eagerly swap in four-disc flip tray frames and discs without the ugly UK ratings logos.

xKy5qeX.jpg

is that the south korean solo steelbook? i haven't opened mine yet. it's nice that the discs aren't very busy.
i wish there was a good 3d disc for rise of skywalker without logos and in english. the closest is the japanese release, but theres' still some kanji on it.
cant bring myself to part with my blufans 3d steels for the disney movies, but i'd totally make 4-disc versions with the Zavvi steels to add US or Korean discs.

is that the south korean solo steelbook? i haven't opened mine yet. it's nice that the discs aren't very busy.
i wish there was a good 3d disc for rise of skywalker without logos and in english. the closest is the japanese release, but theres' still some kanji on it.
cant bring myself to part with my blufans 3d steels for the disney movies, but i'd totally make 4-disc versions with the Zavvi steels to add US or Korean discs.

It is indeed the Korean Solo Steelbook. For a while there it was nice to get Disney 3D Blu-rays with clean, English disc art from Korea. Shame they’ve stopped doing 3D there.

And yes, I have the Japanese Rise of Skywalker discs. I don’t mind the Japanese and will be swapping all four Japanese discs into the upcoming Zavvi Steelbook.

It is indeed the Korean Solo Steelbook. For a while there it was nice to get Disney 3D Blu-rays with clean, English disc art from Korea. Shame they’ve stopped doing 3D there.

And yes, I have the Japanese Rise of Skywalker discs. I don’t mind the Japanese and will be swapping all four Japanese discs into the upcoming Zavvi Steelbook.
did you buy the japanese steelbook or just the movienex 4-disc set?

RON HOWARD THINKS A SEQUEL TO SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY IS POSSIBLE

Director Ron Howard, who came on board SOLO after Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were fired over "creative differences", made an appearance on the "Lights, Camera, Barstool" podcast and he was asked about the possibility of a sequel happening. While he said there are no current talks, he believes that a followup is very possible:

"No rumblings, though, and this is not a spoiler or anything, but I think there is interest in those characters. I think there's interest in the gangster world somewhere down the line. But I can assure you there is nothing being developed right now for a movie or Disney Plus. But, one great thing is there has been a lot of affection shown for Solo, and so of course that keeps boding well for them to eventually turn it around."

A possibility of a sequel happening is better than no possibility at all. On paper, SOLO didn't make enough money to make the powers that be happy but there is some potential with a little time away from these characters that interest in a sequel could build up again. The film's box office take is the main obstacle and even though $393.2 million doesn't seem all that bad, based on the film's budget many trade analysts believed the film needed to make at least $500 million just to break even. Alden Ehrenreich, who took on the daunting task of playing young Han Solo, once spoke on the film's box office performance and thought the box office analysis was a bit unfair:

"[Solo] didn't do as well as other Star Wars movies, but it still did well for a movie. And so it was kind of this medium thing. But that's not newsworthy. Even at high-level journalism, there's an intense pressure, sometimes, it feels like, to [either] catastrophize or celebrate. And I think that's really ******* dangerous, especially when it pertains to the stuff that really matters, like the state of the world. An article headline that says "things are complicated, and there are good sides and bad sides" isn't getting the emotional response. And I just think we really have to take a step back, and give a lot more thought to the way our emotions are being run by the stories we're getting inundated with."

What could bode well for a sequel is that, according to reports, Ehrenreich signed a three-picture deal with Lucasfilm when he was brought on to do SOLO so that would mean he has two more movies to crank out for them. There could be caveats in that contract regarding what would happen if the movie fails but it appears the door is still slightly ajar for another film.

via Joblo

Solo isn’t a bad movie; it’s just derided by older critics. Like all the Star Wars films, solo is aimed at a young audience, but older Star Wars fans pick out parts that they hate and say it would be better if this was cut etc. We all do it but like Lucas himself said “I make movies for 11 year olds but cant help it if adults like them”. Definitely agree - Too many Star Wars films released in a short time period did big damage to our appetite for more.

Reactions: williamhamson
I'd love a sequel to solo. Easily my favourite of the disney era star wars. Star Wars fatigue and last jedi backlash are to blame for its poor box office performance. The cast was great, a predictable but enjoyable story, and I'd be really interested to see a purely Ron Howard helmed sequel.

Solo isn’t a bad movie; it’s just derided by older critics. Like all the Star Wars films, solo is aimed at a young audience, but older Star Wars fans pick out parts that they hate and say it would be better if this was cut etc. We all do it but like Lucas himself said “I make movies for 11 year olds but cant help it if adults like them”. Definitely agree - Too many Star Wars films released in a short time period did big damage to our appetite for more.
I don’t love many of the new SW flicks, but Solo was pure fun and I still liked it when I watched it again. I heard way too much about SJW BS with it, and I watched and I couldn’t figure out what movie they’d seen, bc it was Solo.

Reactions: Retro Parrot
I’ve found the Disney SW movies to be a decent step up from the prequels, but I just don’t get the love for Solo. Meandering plot, tonally uneven, and the DP shoulda been fired for shooting such a dark, muddy, murky, poorly lit big budget movie. I found it to be a misfire on so many levels..... but I must admit this is a nice looking steel.

I assume no one has had this shipped yet? Mine's still showing awaiting dispatch.

As for the film itself, first time I saw it I enjoyed it and hoped they'd be a sequel. Having since seen it a couple more times I've liked it less and less and bar Rogue One since Disney got their hands on SW I've actually found new respect for the prequels (apart from Phantom Menance, that's still really bad). Oh and obviously The Mandalorian, that show is awesome