The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
gege66geraldine - sent an enders game (non tracked), since day 3 after sending he/she messaged me on a daily basis asking the same questions "when will it arrive" etc got a general feeling this person had no intention of telling me even if he/she did receive it, now he/she is claiming via paypal. Time waster.

There's the smallest of chances that it just might not be there yet.

Then again, contacting you over and over again seems to be like "if I message him, I have proof that I have tried to resolve the issue, which looks better when I claim my money back"

It's a shame that people do this, annoying at the very least.

Hope you sort it bud.

I have a buyer from Germany user name hbstn8 , total time waster, bought steel book and never paid and won't cancel the transaction so I'm stuck with the fees etc

Wasn't clear from your post if you actually submitted a cancel request yet, or if you were waiting for the buyer to do so.

In any event...per eBay policy:

If your buyer agreed to cancel your transaction or didn't respond after 7 days, we'll credit the final value fee to your account within 7-10 business days of closing the case.

So you should be able to get your final value fee credited back to your account, no problem.

Earlier tonight the buyer rejected the cancellation request and paid for the steel book, !!! I have lost faith in the buyer and have now refunded them, no way I'm sending the steel now,

gege66geraldine - sent an enders game (non tracked), since day 3 after sending he/she messaged me on a daily basis asking the same questions "when will it arrive" etc got a general feeling this person had no intention of telling me even if he/she did receive it, now he/she is claiming via paypal. Time waster.

After MP with David, i find this guy on Blusteel. Where he say he have received and bought the steel at maximus on ebay ..

Is Nicknames on French forum, because he have multi account are Frodon45, Qtip-66 or also Lecinéphile. Take care !

I bought Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl-steelbook from ebay and it was described as good as new but there's a dent on the front.

How can this be solved since seller did mention in his listing that he/she wouldn't accept returns but the item is not in the condition as described?

I have already sent him a message.

I bought Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl-steelbook from ebay and it was described as good as new but there's a dent on the front.

How can this be solved since seller did mention in his listing that he/she wouldn't accept returns but the item is not in the condition as described?

If it was in the description it is all down to the seller's discretion.
Sounds like you will be stuck with it I am afraid.

When I as a non-uk seller put up a steel on ebay.uk there is a limit for the shipping cost, think it is GBP 4.50. So every time I have to write in the auction the correct shipping costs, this is a major problem because a lot of people dont read the description use the buy it now option then pay the wrong amount because ebay sends a automatic invoice.

This is a known problem for a long time...really not possible to fix this? So annoying! :-(

it doesnt matter what the seller writes in his description. ebay rules will always be number one. ebay allows for returns if item is not as described

you can open an item not described case. you will then be responsible for return shipping, or you can ask if the seller will reimburse you for return shipping

Seller said that the item was insured by the postage office, but there is no damage to the package so I seriously doubt the dent could have come during the shipment. The dent is also one of those kinds you only see in certain light, so it's possible the seller didn't notice it, even though he is saying there was no dent when he sent it.

Seller said that the item was insured by the postage office, but there is no damage to the package so I seriously doubt the dent could have come during the shipment. The dent is also one of those kinds you only see in certain light, so it's possible the seller didn't notice it, even though he is saying there was no dent when he sent it.

Doesn't matter. You can a not as described case through ebay and you'll win fine. The problem lies is that if you return it, you'll most likely be out that money for sending it back.

Might want to put this buyer on your watch or ban list (USA members only, I think) -

http://www.ebay.com/usr/sgm65703

Due to a tracking snafu by USPS, he just got his $50 back, opened a case, never said a word (despite my many messages & questions), promoted to ebay support and got his funds back.

Just a heads up - I see a few familiar names on his feedback list and appears to be buying steelbooks here and there

Anyone ever found the infamous 'Appeal' button for what it would be worth anyway?

I sent an item to Hong Kong where the Buyer missed the delivery sent International Tracked, i contacted him to say it was at his local sorting office, the item was eventually returned to me and a ebay case was opened.
I added photos of the package with Hong Kong post stamps on, supplied the fully updated tracking information and received this encouraging email from an ebay memeber of staff:

'Hello,

We are getting in touch with you from eBay Customer Service regarding the case filed for the dvd (item # 191######) you recently sold to “######”. I'm sorry to hear that the transaction didn’t go smoothly as expected as the buyer opened a case stating that they have not received the item. Rest assured that I am genuinely interested to provide more details to resolve this matter for you.

Before I proceed, I would like to let you know that we appreciate your effort in providing the best service to your buyers and we know how challenging it is to be a seller. We would like to thank you for staying with us and choosing eBay as your online marketplace of choice.

Having fully reviewed the details of the case, I would like to thank you for providing us with tracking information (LY#########GB) via Royal Mail which proof that you posted the item. I believe that you have posted the item in good faith. As I have validated the information you have provided, I can confirm that it was delivered. However, in order for us to proceed on this case, we need to make sure that the item was posted to the correct address of the buyer.

, to help resolve this issue, we'd kindly ask you to share the official documentation or the postal receipt containing the delivery address from the courier company to us. I'll be placing the case on hold until 3rd of May 2014 to give you time to do this.

You can upload it to your account through this link:'

Which I did in the allotted time frame, message this morning saying case closed in buyers favour, full refund cheers. I'm losing the will to live with that place. I even added a message from the buyer who admitted i had done everything i could to get the item to him!.

Lets hope the UK don't privatise the judicial system and Ebay buys it up.

I now no longer update my ebay items with tracking information since somebody on here helpfully pointed out that Royal Mail do not always update it even if it has been delivered.
I've noticed, which should have been obvious, that clever buyers will watch this too and if this happens it's likely judging by ebay support to be a guaranteed freebie for them.

Anyone ever found the infamous 'Appeal' button for what it would be worth anyway?

I sent an item to Hong Kong where the Buyer missed the delivery sent International Tracked, i contacted him to say it was at his local sorting office, the item was eventually returned to me and a ebay case was opened.

I added photos of the package with Hong Kong post stamps on, supplied the fully updated tracking information and received this encouraging email from an ebay memeber of staff:

'Hello,

We are getting in touch with you from eBay Customer Service regarding the case filed for the dvd (item # 191######) you recently sold to “######”. I'm sorry to hear that the transaction didn’t go smoothly as expected as the buyer opened a case stating that they have not received the item. Rest assured that I am genuinely interested to provide more details to resolve this matter for you.

Before I proceed, I would like to let you know that we appreciate your effort in providing the best service to your buyers and we know how challenging it is to be a seller. We would like to thank you for staying with us and choosing eBay as your online marketplace of choice.

Having fully reviewed the details of the case, I would like to thank you for providing us with tracking information (LY#########GB) via Royal Mail which proof that you posted the item. I believe that you have posted the item in good faith. As I have validated the information you have provided, I can confirm that it was delivered. However, in order for us to proceed on this case, we need to make sure that the item was posted to the correct address of the buyer.

, to help resolve this issue, we'd kindly ask you to share the official documentation or the postal receipt containing the delivery address from the courier company to us. I'll be placing the case on hold until 3rd of May 2014 to give you time to do this.

You can upload it to your account through this link:'

Which I did in the allotted time frame, message this morning saying case closed in buyers favour, full refund cheers. I'm losing the will to live with that place. I even added a message from the buyer who admitted i had done everything i could to get the item to him!.

Lets hope the UK don't privatise the judicial system and Ebay buys it up.

I now no longer update my ebay items with tracking information since somebody on here helpfully pointed out that Royal Mail do not always update it even if it has been delivered.

I've noticed, which should have been obvious, that clever buyers will watch this too and if this happens it's likely judging by ebay support to be a guaranteed freebie for them.

Hi mate,

I really feel for you.

Its situations like this that P***s me off about eBay. You do everything by the text book to work with them and they make S***ty decisions which make no sense what so ever, leaving you thinking... What the F**k and bashing your head against a brick wall[emoji35]

Mate I would try ringing them or live chat them to see why this was closed in the buyers favour as it would affect your seller dash.

Good luck [emoji106]

Reactions: Steakman
Hi mate,

I really feel for you.

Its situations like this that P***s me off about eBay. You do everything by the text book to work with them and they make S***ty decisions which make no sense what so ever, leaving you thinking... What the F**k and bashing your head against a brick wall[emoji35]

Mate I would try ringing them or live chat them to see why this was closed in the buyers favour as it would affect your seller dash.

Good luck [emoji106]

I contacted live chat this morning and after an hour and a half and 3 different customer support staff i was helpfully advised that i will be able to appeal the case tomorrow for some reason, I won't hold my breath.

I have the item back, so it's not that I'm that much out of pocket it's just the principal over the postage costs. There's not much more that sellers can do without hand delivering the item and having your photo taken with the recepient signing it!
Here's your delivery sir :violent:

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Interesting really hmmm...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, 30 posts, well done, I can hear the group buy hosts celebrating now :rolleyes:

I hate scammers. Got one on Amazon who claims that I sent in a plain envelope. Everyone knows that I ship in a box. Feedback proves it too. I also got a person on ebay from NY that scammed me too. I will release names shortly.

turdpicker. Scammed me on ebay. Everyone block him.

Last edited:
I have spent an agonising 4 total hours of my life with ebay customer services now and I was hung up on by live chat lol. Not for being rude I might add. If you can find how to get to live chat they will then direct you through about 3 departments until you find the right person to speak to.
I ended up with a friendly lady who pretty much refused to listen to a single word I was saying, apparently I didn't send any record of postage receipts via a scan as requested in the email I posted above because she couldn't see it.
After another hour of constantly asking her where the appeal button was for the case resolution she told me that there was no point in appealing as the case in this scenario would be denied!
I asked how this was possible as I hadn't had a chance to send any further documentation to which I had told the case had already been appealed. I asked why was I on live chat for the last 2 hours looking for an appeal button if I had already successfully appealed the case to which I was told she had appealed the case on my behalf and denied it!!

So basically, there is no appeal button, if a buyer decides to refuse delivery or can't be bothered to collect it they will refund the postage costs to them anyway regardless of how much proof you have. Not my favourite afternoon i have to say, the customer support experience feedback survey should help me unwind though :angry:

Reactions: vurt and lgans316