The Emperor's New Groove (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive: Disney Collection #32) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: June 15,2015
Purchase link: Emperor's New Groove
Price: £19.99
Notes: 3000 only

The others: Zavvi Exclusive: The Disney Collection Blu-ray SteelBooks

11127512-3924298751000102.jpg

11127512-2134298751005904.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone always uses the phrase "Classics" when referring to this collection, but I've not seen that on anything related to this set. I've looked multiple times. Am I missing something?

You will see a number in a gold/yellow oval on the spine of the quarter slip on most of the Zavvi exclusive Disney 'classic' collection steelbooks - not on all because early releases did not have this slip with the number for some unknown reason - inconsistency being a given for Disney.

These 3 new Disney steelbook releases are from the Numbered Classics Collection and have already been released on Blu-ray (and on DVD I imagine) - several times some of them.

Others Disney steelbook releases such as 'Oz', 'Frankenweenie', Into the Woods' and 'Mary Poppins' are not part of this numbered 'classics' collection.

The first in the numbered classics collection is 'Snow White' 1937 (no.1) and the last to date is 'Big Hero 6' 2014 (no.53).

These 3 new numbered classics releases are - 'Brother Bear' 2003 (no.43)
- 'The Emperor's New Groove' 2000 (no.39)
- 'The Sword in the Stone' 1963 (no.18)

If 'Lilo and Stitch' 2002 is released it will have the number 41 on the spine as part of this collection.

You can see the connection between the numbering and the dates when the films were made from the few examples above.

There are 13 in this collection not released on Blu-ray (though released on DVD I believe) - mostly pretty obscure titles however (numbers 6, 7. 8. 9, 10, 11, 22, 25, 26, 29, 40, 42 and 44).

I don't think people understand my question. Nevermind.
I think you are talking about the title choices not being classics! What is considered a classic is down to interpretation I think, some will say a certain film is a classic while others wouldn't agree.

The actual collection that Zavvi has compiled is called "The Disney Collection" and has 34 titles released so far. The majority of these films are from the Disney official animated classics series with 54 titles and counting which are made by the "Walt Disney" Animation Studio (list can be found on this link: "Official Classics"). The collection also contains two non-"classic" titles, such as Planes(animated by Disney Toon Studios) and Mary Poppins(animated by Walt Disney but distributed by Beuna Vista). With there being 32 "official classics" out of the 34 titles released by Zavvi, people just refer to their collection as "classics". Does that sort of answer your question?

Reactions: Sigill
The actual collection that Zavvi has compiled is called "The Disney Collection" and has 34 titles released so far. The majority of these films are from the Disney official animated classics series with 54 titles and counting which are made by the "Walt Disney" Animation Studio (list can be found on this link: "Official Classics"). The collection also contains two non-"classic" titles, such as Planes(animated by Disney Toon Studios) and Mary Poppins(animated by Walt Disney but distributed by Beuna Vista). With there being 32 "official classics" out of the 34 titles released by Zavvi, people just refer to their collection as "classics". Does that sort of answer your question?

No, I don't understand the point you were making in your first post.

It's clear that all the steelbook numbered 'classics' are following on from the existing Blu-rays and DVDs as they have the same numbering and any title released with a number is part of this collection of Numbered Classics.

Your interpretation of what is a 'classic' will depend on your generation or your taste - for myself the last classic was 'The Aristocats'.

Doesn't matter does it,just subjective opinion that's all. In my eyes neither Brother Bear or this Groove thing are classics,my children may disagree though.
i dont think those two are classics either. in my eyes there is no disputing classic status, it doesnt matter if you like it or not, it is still a classic. snow white, beauty and the beast, peter pan- classics. i dont particularly like mary poppins, but i acknowledge its classic status

i dont think those two are classics either. in my eyes there is no disputing classic status, it doesnt matter if you like it or not, it is still a classic. snow white, beauty and the beast, peter pan- classics. i dont particularly like mary poppins, but i acknowledge its classic status

I love 'Mary Poppins' and consider it a classic but it is not part of the Disney Numbered Classics Collection.

Whilst 'Snow White' is without doubt the classic to end all classics or 'Pinocchio' or 'Dumbo' (with the Oscars etc.) others will prefer more recent classics such as 'The Lion King' or 'The Little Mermaid' or 'Aladdin' or 'Pocahontas' or 'Tarzan' or more recently 'Frozen' or my recent favourite 'Meet the Robinsons'.

When I mentioned 'The Aristocats' as my last 'classic' that's only because that was the last Disney I watched in the cinema as a child when it came out and does not mean that I do not like or will not buy any of the others mentioned above or indeed these three just released.

And yet Snow White is still on sale at zavvi !
Apparently they've only got 300 of the latest three left for sale .......yeah right then .Remember getting same emails for the recent pixar releases

The Zavvi Disney Collection is not tied to the Disney Numbered Classics Animation Films

Its simply called the Disney Collection
That is why you have Planes and Mary Poppins in the Disney Collection and can include other films that are not part of the Official UK Disney Classics List
Planes is from DisneyToon Studios
Mary Poppins is from Live-action and partially animated movies series

Any steelbook that get a release from the Walt Disney Classics List will be based on the UK list and not the USA Classic list

Disney/Zavvi could at any stage could add to the Disney Collection another release from DisneyToon Studios or Live-action and partially animated movies

So far the majority have been from the numbered UK Walt Disney Classics List
Except
Planes
Mary Poppins

Note the following differences between UK and USA Classics List
Dinosaur and Winnie The Pooh are numbered classics in USA but not part of the Disney Classic numbered list for the UK
The Wild is not a Disney Distributed film in USA but is in the UK
You can see what the difference is in the Lists below and how numbered classics are different
Disney Classics
UK List

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Dumbo
5. Bambi
6. Saludos Amigos
7. The Three Caballeros
8. Make Mine Music
9. Fun and Fancy Free
10. Melody Time
11. Ichabod & Mr Toad
12. Cinderella
13. Alice and Wonderland
14. Peter Pan
15. Lady and the Tramp
16. Sleeping Beauty
17. 101 Dalmatians
18. The Sword in the Stone
19. The Jungle Book
20. The Aristocats
21. Robin Hood
22. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
23. The Rescuers
24. The Fox and The Hound
25. The Black Cauldron
26. Basil The Great Mouse Detective
27. Oliver and Company
28. The Little Mermaid
29. The Rescuers Down Under
30. Beauty and the Beast
31. Aladdin
32. The Lion King
33. Pocahontas
34. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
35. Hercules
36. Mulan
37. Tarzan
38. Fantasia 2000
39. Emperor's New Groove
Atlantis
41. Lilo and Stitch
42. Treasure Planet
43. Brother Bear
44. Home on the Range
45. Chicken Little
46. The Wild
Meet the Robinsons
48. Bolt
49. The Princess And The Frog
50. Tangled
51. Wreck it Ralph
52. Frozen
53. Big Hero 6

Disney Classics
USA List

1.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Dumbo
5. Bambi
6. Saludos Amigos
7. The Three Caballeros
8. Make Mine Music
9. Fun and Fancy Free
10. Melody Time
11. Ichabod & Mr Toad
12. Cinderella
13. Alice and Wonderland
14. Peter Pan
15. Lady and the Tramp
16. Sleeping Beauty
17. 101 Dalmatians
18. The Sword in the Stone
19. The Jungle Book
20. The Aristocats
21. Robin Hood
22. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
23. The Rescuers
24. The Fox and The Hound
25. The Black Cauldron
26. Basil The Great Mouse Detective
27. Oliver and Company
28. The Little Mermaid
29. The Rescuers Down Under
30. Beauty and the Beast
31. Aladdin
32. The Lion King
33. Pocahontas
34. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
35. Hercules
36. Mulan
37. Tarzan
38. Fantasia 2000
39. Dinosaur
40. Emperor's New Groove
Atlantis
42. Lilo and Stitch
43. Treasure Planet
44. Brother Bear
45. Home on the Range
46. Chicken Little
47. Meet the Robinsons
48. Bolt
49. The Princess And The Frog
50. Tangled
51. Winnie The Pooh
52. Wreck It Ralph
53. Frozen
54. Big Hero 6

Emperor's New Groove
In the UK is numbered 39
In the USA is numbered 40

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: harry
I love 'Mary Poppins' and consider it a classic but it is not part of the Disney Numbered Classics Collection.

Whilst 'Snow White' is without doubt the classic to end all classics or 'Pinocchio' or 'Dumbo' (with the Oscars etc.) others will prefer more recent classics such as 'The Lion King' or 'The Little Mermaid' or 'Aladdin' or 'Pocahontas' or 'Tarzan' or more recently 'Frozen' or my recent favourite 'Meet the Robinsons'.

When I mentioned 'The Aristocats' as my last 'classic' that's only because that was the last Disney I watched in the cinema as a child when it came out and does not mean that I do not like or will not buy any of the others mentioned above or indeed these three just released.

We are explaining the same thing over and over again but a lot of you guys are getting the Disney Classics List and the claims by actual meaninig or literal definition of classic movie confused. When refering to the the disney classics list. We arent saying, "oh these movies are so good, they must be labeled as classic movies". We are refering to a list that Walt Disney Studios themselves deem as the Classic line of titles(54 of them in the link myself and paulboland posted in our last posts.

Reactions: LloydJBailey
We are explaining the same thing over and over again but a lot of you guys are getting the Disney Classics List and the claims by actual meaninig or literal definition of classic movie confused. When refering to the the disney classics list. We arent saying, "oh these movies are so good, they must be labeled as classic movies". We are refering to a list that Walt Disney Studios themselves deem as the Classic line of titles(54 of them in the link myself and paulboland posted in our last posts.

You're absolutely right. The list, both UK and US is simply Disney's way of saying these are our classic movies, and is as much a marketing ploy as anything else. Whether any of us agree with their decision is up to us, but it won't remove the number from the spine.

It's no different to Universal who chose 100 of their films to represent the best movies from their 100 years in movie making. While To Kill a Mockingbird (which was included) may well be a classic, it doesn't mean you or I are going to like it more than Fast and Furious 5* (which wasn't included), it's all personal taste.

*replace with any Universal movie not in their top 100 of your choice.