San Pedro, CA
Release Date: March 18, 2014
Purchase: Amazon

Japan
139 minutes
Black and White
2.35:1
Japanese

A grand-scale adventure as only Akira Kurosawa could make one, The Hidden Fortress stars the inimitable Toshiro Mifune as a general charged with guarding his defeated clan’s princess (a fierce Misa Uehara) as the two smuggle royal treasure across hostile territory. Accompanying them are a pair of bumbling, conniving peasants who may or may not be their friends. This rip-roaring ride is among the director’s most beloved films and was a primary influence on George Lucas’s Star Wars. The Hidden Fortress delivers Kurosawa’s trademark deft blend of wry humor, breathtaking action, and compassionate humanity.

Disc Features:
  1. New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  2. Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack preserving the original Perspecta simulated stereo effects, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  3. New audio commentary by film historian Stephen Prince, author of The Warrior’s Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa
  4. Documentary from 2003 on the making of the film, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
  5. Interview from 2001 with filmmaker George Lucas about Kurosawa
  6. Trailer
  7. New English subtitle translation
  8. One Blu-ray and one DVD, with all content available in both formats
  9. PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Catherine Russell

TheHiddenFortress.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PunkNinja
Yup, I've seen that in person and it's a fantastic set. So I am just going to sit back and be patient, if it was done for Zatoichi, I don't see why it can't be done for Akira Kurosawa's movies. So I am going to play the waiting game.

Yup, I've seen that in person and it's a fantastic set. So I am just going to sit back and be patient, if it was done for Zatoichi, I don't see why it can't be done for Akira Kurosawa's movies. So I am going to play the waiting game.

i am envious of your patience. i can only imagine how truly amazing that set would be, but i simply can not wait that long (especially if it never comes to be). that said, i had little exposure to kurosawa before blu's several were available, so perhaps that is where my impatience comes from.