Release date: March 9, 2015
Purchase link: The Imitation game
Price: £19.99
Notes: Matte finish

11048000-1417112585-881497.jpg

11048000-1417112611-751436.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Aceless @blusteel980
The following is a copy of what I posted to the 'Under the Skin' steelbook thread last summer. I hope it works for others.

So, like 'The Imitation Game', 'Under the Skin' is a Studiocanal title in the UK that is region locked and there is a workaround for the region coding, at least with Panosonic blu-ray players. I have still yet to try this on another brand blu ray player, I just know it works on the 3 Panosonic blu ray players I have used. As bizarre as this sounds, it has been my fix for region locked studiocanal titles since the summer. Studiocanal titles from the UK are the only region B locked titles I have, so I can't comment on how it works with other region b locked distributors, but my assumption is that it works the same.

I found this region coding solution on a different forum:

Method 1 -

- Insert a disc and wait for the "Wrong Region" screen to appear
- Press the "Pop-Up Menu" button
- Disc should boot to the discs main menu or start playing the movie

Method 2 -

- Press Stop
- Press the "Pop-Up Menu" button (You may have to press this a few times)

Method 3 -

- Press Stop
- Press 1 and the number "1" should start blinking in the upper right corner. Press the "OK" button while 1 is blinking. You may have to try this a few times, as it usually doesn't work the first time. Try pressing OK on the first or second blink and it should work.

I usually find method 3 works best.

Once I get to the menu, I am able to play everything (movie and extras) like normal.

BEFORE:

IMG_0191_zpsf0d2c754.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_0204_zps7b709b4a.jpg

@Aceless @blusteel980
The following is a copy of what I posted to the 'Under the Skin' steelbook thread last summer. I hope it works for others.

So, like 'The Imitation Game', 'Under the Skin' is a Studiocanal title in the UK that is region locked and there is a workaround for the region coding, at least with Panosonic blu-ray players. I have still yet to try this on another brand blu ray player, I just know it works on the 3 Panosonic blu ray players I have used. As bizarre as this sounds, it has been my fix for region locked studiocanal titles since the summer. Studiocanal titles from the UK are the only region B locked titles I have, so I can't comment on how it works with other region b locked distributors, but my assumption is that it works the same.

I found this region coding solution on a different forum:

Method 1 -

- Press the "Pop-Up Menu" button

Method 2 -

- Press Stop
- Press the "Pop-Up Menu" button (You may have to press this a few times)

Method 3 -

- Press Stop
- Press 1 and the number "1" should start blinking in the upper right corner. Press the "OK" button while 1 is blinking. You may have to try this a few times, as it usually doesn't work the first time. Try pressing OK on the first or second blink and it should work.

I usually find method 3 works best.

Once I get to the menu, I am able to play everything (movie and extras) like normal.

BEFORE:

IMG_0191_zpsf0d2c754.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_0204_zps7b709b4a.jpg

Good information for those who only have a region A blu-ray player. I am lucky to own a region free blu-ray player. Thanks for the tip though.

Reactions: steellogic
well cheers hubmuswell now decisions do i have this above or toad in the hole for dinner tommorrow

Won't you prefer a banger in the mouth? :turtle: (or, as it's called in the US, a sausage in the mouth)

I'm on my way out... :D

(disappointing to see a StudioCanal matte finish, since we know they did find a gloss machine last year (Army of Darkness, They Live!, La haine, Gone Baby Gone, etc.))

Unusual for StudioCanal having a matte finish as a lot of their steelbook last year were a gloss finish

Sometimes a matte finish can be nice as some of the earlier 2013 StudioCanal matte finish steelbooks were nice and had some had good embossing

The Imitation Game would have looked at a lot better if it had of been a gloss finish and had some embossing or debossing

I cancelled my order a few weeks ago so I will wait now for the price drop

I will be getting this but will wait for £12.99 to £15.99 price range or even lower as I'm sure the print run with this is 4,000 at least

Reactions: Flloydo
The Imitation Game would have looked at a lot better if it had of been a gloss finish and had some embossing or debossing
I will be getting this but will wait for £12.99 to £15.99 price range or even lower as I'm sure the print run with this is 4,000 at least
Agreed about the finish, it could have been a lot nicer. Disappointing considering it's the only Steelbook available for the film world wide at the moment.

I'm just glad I paid £16.99 for this as that only makes it £4 more than the Amaray - I'll be watching the film this evening (as I haven't seen it yet) so at least it's not going to sit in my to-watch pile and massively decrease in price before I do.

Going back if gloss finish.
If gloss finish, or if not? Because it's definitely not.

Unusual for StudioCanal having a matte finish as a lot of their steelbook last year were a gloss finish

Sometimes a matte finish can be nice as some of the earlier 2013 StudioCanal matte finish steelbooks were nice and had some had good embossing

I cancelled my order a few weeks ago so I will wait now for the price drop

I agree but thinking £7.99 to be honest

Really disappointed with the look of this. I don't know what I was hoping for, but it was certainly better than what I got!

Also, can anyone else confirm that at the top of the steelbook, under the J-card there is a white bit where it looks like the finish hasn't worked properly? In a way, I hope it's just me as otherwise this really doesn't look good!

One of the few order's I kept, wish I hadn't, looks a bit underwhelming IMO, apparently there is a lenticular slip for this although I have yet to see it...

Same, this is one of the few pre-orders I have at the moment, I was confident it'd be gloss like Under the Skin. I got it for £16.99 with discounts which isn't disastrous, but I expect it will now fall lower than that.

@peteaypan the top part threw me when I saw it, but it's part of the design, it's meant to be a lightbulb, which works when you see the stream of light on the front and back.
A little disappointing, there's something up with the quality of the artwork I think as it does seem pixelated when you look closely.

Reactions: Pranko
Received mine and I agree that it's quite disappointing... the artwork is great, but the fact that it's not gloss makes it look really dull.

P.S. I really wish they'd stop using glue on the j-cards... they're sealed anyway, so I seriously don't see the need for it.

Really disappointed with special features on this one. No deleted scenes, no cast interviews etc. Sainsbury's 2 disk special DVD release has more extras, but it's not a steelbook (and not even bluray :( )