The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 30, 2020 - January 23, 2023 (Re print)
Purchase links: WB Shop - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £99.99
Finish: Matte w/ no 'bossing (steelbook & case)
Notes: WB Shop includes Artcards - UHD Discs only does not include Blu-ray discs

81Q8mRHYcAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everybody ☺

I bought my LOTR from HMV. If I may suggest, just for a precaution, please watch your copies. I want to let you know that one of the "Two Towers Extended Edition" (Disc 1) has a multiple problems that prevent the movie from being played.
Those are:
- sound problems,
- the picture is lagging, freezing and skips to another shot.
This certain UHD Disc is not scratched.
The equipment for playing 4K discs is from the highest shelf (brand new 4K Player Sony).
Other movies in 4K plays flawlessly.
The problem is with the 4K disc from LOTR Set.
Solution... The only resolve HMV offered is return it back for a full refund.
I hope your copies are fine!
All the best for all of you :)

DSC_0498.JPGDSC_0497.JPGDSC_0496.JPGDSC_0461.JPGDSC_0495.JPGDSC_0494.JPGDSC_0492.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everybody ☺

I bought my LOTR from HMV. If I may suggest, just for a precaution, please watch your copies. I want to let you know that one of the "Two Towers Extended Edition" (Disc 1) has a multiple problems that prevent the movie from being played.
Those are:
- sound problems,
The equipment for playing 4K discs is from the highest shelf (brand new 4K Player Sony).

View attachment 497237View attachment 497238View attachment 497239View attachment 497240View attachment 497241View attachment 497242View attachment 497243
@Arrival - welcome to HDN.
Have you tried updating firmware on both Blu-Ray player and TV?
Do you have a certified HDMI cable between the player and TV? Is this cable longer than 3 meters?
Have something else between player and TV (like an AVR or a image processor of any kind)?
If you'll answer to all this questions, we might be able to help you better ... if it is not too late and you already had returned the movies...

Reactions: cllctr
@Arrival - welcome to HDN.
Have you tried updating firmware on both Blu-Ray player and TV?
Do you have a certified HDMI cable between the player and TV? Is this cable longer than 3 meters?
Have something else between player and TV (like an AVR or a image processor of any kind)?
If you'll answer to all this questions, we might be able to help you better ... if it is not too late and you already had returned the movies...
Hi Felix! Both Tv and 4k player have updated firmware. HDMI cable is certified and with length 1 m. The player is connected straight to Tv.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix_ro
While I didn’t buy the steelbooks I did buy the standard 4K release & rewatched the trilogy at the start of January.
No problems with any disc, all played fine for me.
Same for The Hobbit 4K discs.

Reactions: Arrival
Hi Felix! Both Tv and 4k player have updated firmware. HDMI cable is certified and with length 1 m. The player is connected straight to Tv.
Then I think it can be indeed the discs themselves with problems. It could happen sometimes that just few disks to have some issues due to the materials used... so not something that could be seen in an quality check, at a larger scale, but just very few pieces.

Maybe also further check, cause I had read (some time ago) some weird manifestations sometimes, with some specific models of TV's combined with some specific models of players (usually from different brands, so if you have both from Sony, might not be the case, although I think some of the most prominent issues were with Sony TV's I think, if I recall correctly).
What I saw there in your pictures lead me to think that either this could be as you said (problems with the disc), but also could be some issues of "handshake" between the devices in the chain, especially if you also get complete dropouts of video (black screen) and sound (no sound), not both at the same time or both at the same time. But again, this kind of issues could happen mostly when there are some devices incompatibility, longer cables (especially non-certified ones), or even a faulty cable (even one that is just 1 meter long), and more prone to happen when the source demands very high bandwidth, like when the movie is in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (or HDR10+ & DTS X) and all the devices in the chain are capable, but the cable is not quite.

Hope this helps!

Hi Everybody ☺

Those are:
- sound problems,

View attachment 497237View attachment 497238View attachment 497239View attachment 497240View attachment 497241View attachment 497242View attachment 497243
I had an issue like that with my Thor: Ragnorok 4K UHD disc recently. I took it out, wiped it with a soft dry cloth and put it back in again. Re-started playback from a couple of mins before it had started playing up and it played perfectly all the way through the rest of the film. I couldn't see any scratches or dust on the disc when I examined it, but just giving it a wipe seemed to do the trick!

Hi Everybody ☺

Those are:
- sound problems,

welcome to HDN, @Arrival! :) yeah, i have had this sort of artefacting on a few premium release discs :blackeye:. in those cases, it was actual coding errors in the disc in manufacture, rather than firmware or disc cleanliness issues (which as other Ninjas have said above, it can be). i hope you manage to get it sorted and/or replaced ASAP! :thumbs: