UK
Release date: October 10, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi - Pre-order live Saturday 13 at 6 PM
Price: £21.99

1.jpg

11323363-1144408627608012.jpg
11323363-1134408627674063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is how you design a great Steelbook. I love it.

One day I'll be telling my future grand kids "Back when I was a whippersnapper an extended edition of a movie would be included on the first pressing."
When was that, exactly? Because studios have been doing this for quite a while once they discovered that people will pay for multiple cuts of a movie. Do you come from an alternate timeline? :D

Reactions: Flash
Now this is how you design a great Steelbook. I love it.

When was that, exactly? Because studios have been doing this for quite a while once they discovered that people will pay for multiple cuts of a movie. Do you come from an alternate timeline? :D

About three years ago. Picking up the Blu-ray over the DVD used to mean you had the definitive edition. These days it's the vanilla release, the 3D release, the extended release and so forth. Batman V Superman had an extra 30 minutes of footage over a mere 10 minutes of material so if anything Warner had a better reason to do this. Although I found out about an extended version of The Martian a while back, I avoided previous releases so I'm can't complain. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus
About three years ago. Picking up the Blu-ray over the DVD used to mean you had the definitive edition. These days it's the vanilla release, the 3D release, the extended release and so forth. Batman V Superman had an extra 30 minutes of footage over a mere 10 minutes of material so if anything Warner had a better reason to do this. Although I found out about an extended version of The Martian a while back, I avoided previous releases so I'm can't complain. ;)
Lord of The Rings? Lethal Weapon? Delayed releases of extended cuts aren't a modern invention at all.

Lord of The Rings? Lethal Weapon? Delayed releases of extended cuts aren't a modern invention at all.

The Martian only came out on Blu-ray in February 2016. Lethal Weapon came out in the VHS epoch, and director's cuts weren't so much in demand like they are today. One of the first DVD releases included it though. LOTR extended editions came out on DVD in 2004. The Blu-ray release in 2011 (Debatable but I find Blu-ray hit it big around 2009-2010), I can understand a delay there, the prints are pretty much immaculate and I imagine a lot of remastering work was done plus extensive work gathering material for the special features etc. I agree it's not a modern invention, I just believe it was an unnecessary move by Fox.

Not exactly a new idea to release Director's Cuts included with the Theatrical Cuts - or as in the listings "One movie, two cuts" - and this goes back to the earliest Blu-ray releases in the U.K.
One of the earliest DC/TCs being KINGDOM OF HEAVEN in 2006 (with a lovely steelbook following almost ten yeas later in 2015).

Examples of other first U.K. BD releases including the DC / Extended Cuts are:-
WATCHMEN 2010 (2012 SB)
JFK 2013 (+ lovely SB)
DAREDEVIL 2009 (2013 SB)
MIMIC 2011
AMADEUS 2009
THIEF 2015
ELEKTRA 2009 (2015 SB)
ZODIAC 2008
TROY 2008 (2012 SB)
BEOWOLF 2008
TRUE ROMANCE 2009 (2014 SB)
DAS BOOT 2011 (2015 SB)
LEON 2009 (2014 SB)
DARK CITY 2008
ALIEN 2009 (2014 SB)
STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON 2016 (+ SB)
LEGEND (1985) 2012
Plus probably loads of others

Blu-rays released twice or more than twice with the first release not including the DC include:-
LETHAL WEAPON (noted above) 2006 (2014 DC SB)
WRATH OF KHAN 2009 (2016 DC SB )
COMMANDO 2008 (2015 DC)
ROBOCOP TRILOGY 2010 (2013 DC SB)
Plus loads of others

Reactions: padmaro
Not exactly a new idea to release Director's Cuts included with the Theatrical Cuts - or as in the listings "One movie, two cuts" - and this goes back to the earliest Blu-ray releases in the U.K.
One of the earliest DC/TCs being KINGDOM OF HEAVEN in 2006 (with a lovely steelbook following almost ten yeas later in 2015).

Correct me if I'm wrong and slightly off topic, I think the first director's cut of any film done on home video was Clint Eastwood's Firefox on the laserdisc pressing. And as i speak this film is long overdue for both a UK release never mind a steelbook. Anyway back to the Martian which will not doubt have a second and 3rd director's cut before too long. it's soon beat The Terminator for most home releases.

this due out tommorrow and still available for pre-order, ive decided to cancel and get cheaper later if not. i can live without it, plus get to see some in hand pics as well this way.

basil :thumbs:

I've not had anything but I did cancel my order yesterday and reorder it with the discount code. I never had a dispatch email for civil war either and still haven't but got the copie ok.