The Thing (1982) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Filmarena Collection #164) [Czech Republic]

May 26, 2013
France
Release date: November 16, 2022
Purchase link: FilmArena
Price: 1699 CZK
Group buy: hosted by carllenc

film_26410_2.jpg

film_26410_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a fan of the Struzan poster art and for this, for years I thought it was an old diving suit!
lg12.jpg

However since it's a classic poster now, at least one steelbook should at least feature it.
Ha ha! That reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me about his favorite movie - Raiders of The Lost Ark.
Back when it was released, his friends had to drag him to the movie, because (based on the movie poster) he didn't want to see some stupid Cowboy movie!:rofl:
image.jpeg

Reactions: justboy
If I remember rightly when Raiders first came out people thought it was a religious movie and were staying away from it. Certainly that was my recall in the UK and the Thing did astonishingly bad at the box office. It's amazing what the years can do for the reputation of a film. I remember going to see the Thing at the cinema on it's original showing and I was the only one in the theatre and the manager told me it as a diaster. None was seeing it because it was so gory....... Everyone at the time was wanting feelgood movies and The Thing was not it......

Reactions: harry
If I remember rightly when Raiders first came out people thought it was a religious movie and were staying away from it. Certainly that was my recall in the UK and the Thing did astonishingly bad at the box office. It's amazing what the years can do for the reputation of a film. I remember going to see the Thing at the cinema on it's original showing and I was the only one in the theatre and the manager told me it as a diaster. None was seeing it because it was so gory....... Everyone at the time was wanting feelgood movies and The Thing was not it......

Yes people went to see movies like E.T and Tootsie in 1982, but two of my favorites from that year The Thing and Blade Runner didn't do so well.

Bad marketing can sink any movie.

2017 is quite a long wait. But i'm glad it's in the pipeline. Fantastic horror film.

And Shawshank ... what can I say. It's the best film ever made.

Looking forward to both. Can't wait to see what FAC has to offer. I'm hoping they have come up with new innovations in regards to making the fullslip pretty ... so we can expect something other than embossing / velvety materials(like Jurassic world)

I watched a bit of this once before but it was late at night and I was tired and I fell asleep about half way through it, I remember thinking though that it wasn't very good, I'm probably about the only person that thinks that on here going by how popular a movie this is :LOL:

Give it another go on a 5.1 sound set up.

As a matter of fact so many films I absolutely hated, I now love on Bluray and 5.1 sound.

You have to watch it in a theater style environment, in silence.

Reactions: Scarface
2017 is quite a long wait. But i'm glad it's in the pipeline. Fantastic horror film.

And Shawshank ... what can I say. It's the best film ever made.

Looking forward to both. Can't wait to see what FAC has to offer. I'm hoping they have come up with new innovations in regards to making the fullslip pretty ... so we can expect something other than embossing / velvety materials(like Jurassic world)
Is that avatar one of the wolves from The Thing? :rofl::thumbs:;)
Still don't get the love for Shawshank. It's a decent film, sure. But I don't really get the love for the film that "makes grown men cry". I cried more when John McClane hurt his feet in DIE HARD....;)

Reactions: InAFalsetto
Still don't get the love for Shawshank. It's a decent film, sure. But I don't really get the love for the film that "makes grown men cry". I cried more when John McClane hurt his feet in DIE HARD....;)

It is how Andy is not crushed . Then Red calving his name in the beam . Hell is different for each of us it is how it is held at bay by Hope .

The Thing everything like Shawshank is the perfect movie .

Strange as neather have any women as major cast members . Yet can not imagine eather movie being cast any better than what they where .

Reactions: C.C. 95
It is how Andy is not crushed . Then Red calving his name in the beam . Hell is different for each of us it is how it is held at bay by Hope .

The Thing everything like Shawshank is the perfect movie .

Strange as neather have any women as major cast members . Yet can not imagine eather movie being cast any better than what they where .
Yeah. I "get" all of the story...:LOL: It just doesn't get to me that way. Other films with similar themes have.
I just find all of King's stories and Darabont's films hugely melodramatically manipulative in a bad way.
I don't get moved by Green Mile either. I feel the fingers behind the scenes pushing the "You Cry Now" button, and I resent it.
I don't fault people for enjoying it. I am clearly a minority voice in that one...

Reactions: adarkcorner
I completely agree with the idea about the use of Drew Struzan's original poster, it has to be one of my favourite pieces of movie art of all time, its a genuine classic and I've always wanted to see it used on a full slip. I knew someone would release a premium package for this amazing film at some point, and F.A could really do some amazing things with that image it if it were to indeed be used as the art for any possible paper full slip. Some well utilized spot glossing or spot UV printing would work perfectly with this, and UV printing would actually suit the artwork beautifully as it has some subtle yellows and reds in there to go with the strong overall blue tone. Hell it could make one amazing lenticular too if you think about it, with so much potential for depth and layering.

This release has so much potential, and as one of my top 5 films of all time I can't wait to see how this develops. :drool:

Oh and yeah, the wait for this is probably going to drive me completely insane.

6dd85f6d959cb2433e51cca06645893e.jpg

Last edited:
I completely agree with the idea about the use of Drew Struzan's original poster, it has to be one of my favourite pieces of movie art of all time, its a genuine classic and I've always wanted to see it used on a full slip. I knew someone would release a premium package for this amazing film at some point, and F.A could really do some amazing things with that image it if it were to indeed be used as the art for any possible paper full slip. Some well utilized spot glossing or spot UV printing would work perfectly with this, and UV printing would actually suit the artwork beautifully as it has some subtle yellows and reds in there to go with the strong overall blue tone. Hell it could make one amazing lenticular too if you think about it, with so much potential for depth and layering.

This release has so much potential, and as one of my top 5 films of all time I can't wait to see how this develops. :drool:

Oh and yeah, the wait for this is probably going to drive me completely insane.

6dd85f6d959cb2433e51cca06645893e.jpg
I woukd buy 10 iterations of steelbooks using Drew's art! If FA does this right- this could be one of the greatest steelbook releases of all time. (Asthetically and financially)

Reactions: RepoMan90
I woukd buy 10 iterations of steelbooks using Drew's art! If FA does this right- this could be one of the greatest steelbook releases of all time. (Asthetically and financially)

I agree, I'm amazed that we've already had two The Thing releases and both of them ignored this classic & iconic art.

Though knowing my luck with art choices, they'll go for a pop art image of the dog with piles of dog s*** "ingeniously" spelling out the title :rolleyes::D

Reactions: C.C. 95

Haha well spotted.

Shawshank is awesome. But I didn't cry ! lol ... now these films have made choke up a little, GLADIATOR, INTERSTELLAR, SCHINDLERS LIST (few others as well lol)
I agree, I'm amazed that we've already had two The Thing releases and both of them ignored this classic & iconic art.

Though knowing my luck with art choices, they'll go for a pop art image of the dog with piles of dog s*** "ingeniously" spelling out the title :rolleyes::D

I'm going to torch my FAC collection in protest if they go for some crappy mondo art on the actual steel.

Reactions: C.C. 95 and ChrisIW
Put me down for the full slip, lenti slip, quarter slip, no slip, something slip - whatever they release I will take 1 of each to go with my play and mondo steels!

This is my all time favourite film so damn the cost

Shawshank is awesome. But I didn't cry ! lol ... now these films have made choke up a little, GLADIATOR, INTERSTELLAR, SCHINDLERS LIST (few others as well lol)

I can't remember welling up during Shawshank, not sure why it has that reputation. Yeah Schindler's List got to me too as well as THREE!!! Tom Hanks films (The Green Mile, Philadelphia, Forest Gump) :cry::cry::cry:.

My eyes after a Tom Hanks marathon >>>> :blackeye: :rofl:

Sorry, this is going waaaay off topic, someone should make a "tear-jerkers" thread!