The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Limited Edition Blu-ray) [UK/Germany/USA/Canada/France]

luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: December 1st, 2015 (USA) - December 14th, 2015 (UK)
Purchase links & prices:
[USA Amazon.com $134.99]
[UK eOne Direct (Rakuten) £89.99]
[UK eOne Direct (ebay) £89.99]

[France Amazon.fr €117.95
[Canada Amazon.ca CDN $97.29]
[Germany Media Markt DE €129.00]
[Spain Amazon ES €89.90]

81vicyp_EPAL_SL1500.jpg

Lrekfhx.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, usually I wouldn't speak out but I love the walking dead and I'm very passionate about this release.

I would love to support this version but feel like we are getting a raw deal here in the UK with an inferior product priced comparatively with the superior US version, Im not out to attack the release I just want a reasonable explanation for the various issues surrounding it :thumbs:

Hopefully answers come soon :whistle:
I agree with you. Im not one to usually speak out either, I dont like confrontation :LOL:. Great to see someone saying what they think, especially when the Walking Dead is concerned :thumbs:

Reactions: navydavey
I agree with you. Im not one to usually speak out either, I dont like confrontation :LOL:. Great to see someone saying what they think, especially when the Walking Dead is concerned :thumbs:

Thanks again :thumbs:

I read my posts several times before submitting and usually I cancel after doing so as I think it's better to not create unnecessary hostility but in this case I just couldn't let it lay

Reactions: elle82
@navydavey @elle82

1) This is not limited to the UK but a global strategy. This is purely ornamental yes, but arguably a more detailed model from my perspective. A lot of time and effort goes in to these special editions, and it really does deliver in the flesh. Yes it does come with the standard amaray. This is an incredibly limited edition with only hundreds being sold within the UK so you will maintain its value if purchased.

2) Yes it is disappointing that there was an issue with the spine, unfortunately this was out of our control, but rest assured a new process is in-place to prevent errors. If you or anyone does receive a copy with an incorrect spine we will replace these.

3) The reason for the change was to elevate eOne Direct as a shopping destination. (which I am passionate about making successful) As you can see from my involvement from the forums I want to push the agenda of what the collectors want. eBay and Rakuten are fantastic platforms from our perspective to give us control of our catalogue. (flexibility, product, content and pricing are major factors)

4) We wanted to offer the fans something different for season 4 as we didn't plan on a steellbook at that stage. It was either that or nothing at that particular time. It isn't fair no but we are not forcing people to buy in to a collection, and it was something we did not advertise as an ongoing stategy. Our strategy was right at the time, but by spending time of these forums it was clear there is a greater demand for the steelbook format, and with changes in the industry we were able to react to this.

@navydavey @elle82
4) We wanted to offer the fans something different for season 4 as we didn't plan on a steellbook at that stage. It was either that or nothing at that particular time. It isn't fair no but we are not forcing people to buy in to a collection, and it was something we did not advertise as an ongoing stategy. Our strategy was right at the time, but by spending time of these forums it was clear there is a greater demand for the steelbook format, and with changes in the industry we were able to react to this.

Interesting. I remember this statement
We’re certainly planning to continue doing all future seasons of The Walking Dead in steelbook with matching artwork – it looks likely season 4 will be out in September 2014 as it follows the same pattern as Game of Thrones (i.e. the new season hits DVD and Blu-Ray just before the new season starts).
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...lbook-entertainment-store-exclusive-uk.39527/

Where does that come from?

I don't believe that is a confirmation of a release purely a possibility? I don't know where that came from and still would not comment on the source. We released 1-3 in one hit so was hard to ascertain post this what the demand would be, so for us to produce a digibook for season 4 made sense for us. If the season 4 was more successful as a digibook maybe we would of looked at further releases, but the general consensus was fans wanted a steelbook so we went away and looked at this.

1) This is not limited to the UK but a global strategy. This is purely ornamental yes, but arguably a more detailed model from my perspective. A lot of time and effort goes in to these special editions, and it really does deliver in the flesh. Yes it does come with the standard amaray. This is an incredibly limited edition with only hundreds being sold within the UK so you will maintain its value if purchased.

Sorry in advance for the following rant:

1) Is it part of the global strategy to treat the UK like an inferior market? The US version comes with an exclusive digipak but to compensate for this the UK version will be a more limited release - this makes it is fair to charge an equivalent price? To me its not a point of retaining value but more that I am getting far less for my money. Will this years collectors edition even have the outer box missing from the last 2 collectors sets?

2) I take it the spine will be corrected on the collectors edition release?

3) I understand this fully, I may not prefer your chosen market places but I can see the reasoning behind it (I assume Amazon charge more for listing or something)

4) You may not be forcing people to buy into a collection but the fact of the matter is The Walking Dead is a very popular show and fans like myself enjoy supporting it buy spending our money on the blu-ray releases. As you can see by the demand for the steelbook collection fans like consistency, the previous 2 collectors editions had collectors edition digipaks and now you are changing that to the standard amaray, its like buying a brand new Roles Royce and realizing there is a park bench where the luxury seats should be. Sorry for the hyperbole but the fact remains I would be paying for a premium product and receiving a standard release.

Last edited:
Reactions: elle82 and luke98
I bought those three steelbook's and was so disappointed that there was no season 4 made after them. Its a real shame I would have loved every season to have had one. And the same goes for the digibook. None and then one for season four and then none again? Again its a shame. Both the steelbooks and digibooks should be released from all the seasons. I for one would purchase all of them and I know a lot of others around the world would as well.

Jesus Christ, its happened, move on.

Hardly anyone would purchase every season on digibook and steelbook now so why on earth would they do that? Theyd then be accused of being money grabbers!

We're lucky to have someone on here from a studio who clearly has an interest in the packaging of media and establishing what we as fans want - if i was them id be wondering why i bothered, probably the reason Entertainment Store have gone so quiet as well.

@navydavey

I don't mind answering your concerns, there is a reason why we do things.

1) The UK is equal to any other territory hence why we support the limited edition SKU, we do not have to. We also produced the previous steelbooks and digibook for the UK market, so I can't see how you think we are neglecting it?

2) All spines going forward are corrected yes.

4) There were internal complications regarding assets on S5, which is why we didn't make a digipack. Appreciate it is park of the package but the Blu Ray content is consistent. You are pay the premium for the product itself, remember we have to import these as well, these aren't cheap.

@Maccadinho25
I am not going to comment on a competitors source (or ever will do). Things have changed with minimum order quantities for steel-books so we are able to capitalize on this going forward hence why we are looking at S4 and S5.

Looks like Season 5 with the messed-up spine would become a collector's item.
I really don't understand why anyone would buy the UK edition while the US edition is so much better than the UK edition. US edition is consistent.