What do you care most about a steelbook?

Jun 28, 2012
So maybe the front, back, artwork, rarity? I am just interested to see what you guys most like about a steelbook!

Last edited by a moderator:
Front art. Matching back art sure helps, but front art is by far the most important to me. Right after the actual movie quality of-course.

I can't list any specific area of the steelbook. The whole package has to look good. Even if the front cover is super awesome, and the backside would be printed spec information, it wouldn't be super awesome overall.

In example, I don't think Iron Man-steelbook (play.com) is one of the best looking steelbook because they messed up with the inside artwork. (But it's still nice looking.)

It's the whole package for me. Nothing better than a Steelbook with some great artwork inside and out, some embossing/debossing and a limited print run :scat:

That doesn't mean I won't buy other releases of course. Like everyone else, most of the time I'm happy to get a film I like in a Steelbook, regardless of design or print run, just because I prefer Steelbooks over amaray cases.

It's an even split between if I like the film or the artwork is good. If I like the film and the artwork is at least half decent, I'll buy the steel over normal. If I don't like the film, then the artwork would have to be amazing for me to be tempted to buy it. Usually though, most films I like have SB releases, so it comes down to artwork.

The artwork has to be different than the amaray. The exception would be releases like the IM1 and 2 where they added cool paint effects and embossing. It also needs to have inside artwork. The finish of the Steelbook has become important to me recently. I don't really like the cheap matte finish like the last WB BB wave where it feels like you could just scrape it down to bare steel pretty easily.

My opinion of the perfect Steelbook (if you ignore the movie and just look at the case itself) is Clash of the Titans DE. It has premium finish on the outside, clean art from and back, and the inside art actually makes sense and is cropped/positioned correctly for inside art!

I have to like the movie before I buy the steelbook. Some people like to keep them sealed but I like to open them because I want to watch the movie and enjoy the artwork.

for me, it is more about the film. after that, as long as the artwork is thoughtful and maintains the integrity of the movie, i am happy. finish quality is just icing on the cake.

although, i wish studios would put a little more effort into adding something extra inside the cases...artwork, literature, cards...something, but again, that is just more icing on the cake.

The cleaner the front/back are the better imo.

PS Lack of interior artwork is starting to bug me now too. Most be old age :)

I have to like the movie before I buy the steelbook. Some people like to keep them sealed but I like to open them because I want to watch the movie and enjoy the artwork.

I am the same. I'm a collector, but not in the sense of keeping everything sealed. I like to open them and watch the film and see the artwork without the plastic. But I guess that's why people buy two ;)