White Cover UK Steels - will move thread later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I see a lot of comments in the different threads about them, but figured I'd post an open message with info as many don't have the background on "Premium Collection"

The Premium Collection for blu-ray first started as digibooks for Germany.

https://www.amazon.de/?tag=hidefnin0d-21 then search "Blu-ray Premium Collection" if you want to see all the art.

Then Spain made some digibooks that while the art was the same it had spanish titles. (The digis were a bit less in regards to build quality but most featured pictures only which was a nice touch.)

Then there was France who released some, and are releasing more.

When looking at these steelbooks vs. those of Japan I just wanted to state that while I see comments saying they have copied the Japan steelbooks its more that the Japan steels copied the digis and these UK steels are actually almost identical to the France digis. (Matrix in green letters, etc. etc.)

Last but not least, while nothing to do with the steels ... NL is starting to release these Premium Collection Digis in English.

So while they are using the white art ... they are using the white plus colored titles art ... so you might get a better idea of whats to come in the future by looking at https://www.amazon.fr/?tag=hidefnin0a-21

I noticed an Iron Man amongst the French Collection of Premium Editions, now that really would split the wows and woes if they released that!

Reactions: FlawdaBoy
There was also slipcover series in Hong Kong.
matricohk1.jpg

Reactions: dirtyoak and ocielz
Thats true, wasnt even thinking of the slips .... Czech got one as well and UK recently got BB/TDK in slip. Pretty positive tho the digis came first.

Bottom line is that WB World Wide obviously has access to this art in their files and thus this can pop up anywhere in any form of packaging (this art)

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

I noticed an Iron Man amongst the French Collection of Premium Editions, now that really would split the wows and woes if they released that!

Yeah, but UK couldnt release that as that is Paramount in UK. I guess they could try and pull something off like that but they just released this IM in UK and who knows if that will happen again as Disney seems to be fighting pretty hard to block Paramount out of everything for the future .... we'll see. (since Disney bought out Marvel)

But wait...the Blu-ray Premium Collection aren't steelbooks, are they?

Maybe this could be a master thread for all these different 'Premium Collection' releases?

I'm interested to hear more about these NL digibooks with English text. Is the rating logo a sticker/printed or on a sleeve like the German ones?

Last edited:
Maybe this could be a master thread for all these different 'Premium Collection' releases?

I'm interested to hear more about these NL digibooks with English text. Is the rating logo a sticker/printed or on a sleeve like the German ones?

There's talk about them in the recent pick up digibook thread in digibook forum. Tridon bought some.

Eh....It gets boring that they keep pulling from same art from Digi to Steel from country to country imo. And some will keep falling for it over and over ..imo not enough work going into paint effects and uniqueness of Steels esp not at 17.99 if they end up just plain. If they also dont even add any embossing or debossing this is just boring wave. Next month they will come out in Germany and then in Zimbabwe....huge $ saver for me except maybe 3 or so which I dont have in Digi (nor do i own the others in digi) Even for those who dont own Digis 17.99 is a little ambitious for old titles. Why exactly are they "premium"? Any more info on what makes them so- like others mentioned booklet, paint finish? If they're just copying the "premium" name from Digi there does not seem to be a reason to consider "upgraded" (premium)?

Sent from LV-426 on
my iPhone

Last edited:
Eh....It gets boring that they keep pulling from same art from Digi to Steel from country to country imo. And some will keep falling for it over and over ..imo not enough work going into paint effects and uniqueness of Steels esp not at 17.99 if they end up just plain. If they also dont even add any embossing or debossing this is just boring wave. Next month they will come out in Germany and then in Zimbabwe....huge $ saver for me except maybe 3 or so which I dont have in Digi (nor do i own the others in digi) Even for those who dont own Digis 17.99 is a little ambitious for old titles. Why exactly are they "premium"? Any more info on what makes them so- like others mentioned booklet, paint finish? If they're just copying the "premium" name from Digi there does not seem to be a reason to consider "upgraded" (premium)?

Only reason I can see that they are Premium is that Warners is they are making loads of money out of them and trying to rip everyone off. As I said in the Se7en thread I think this will be the first set of Steel I don't buy at moment 1, I'll buy someone's scruffed up second hand copy as this is flogging a dead horse and literally taking the p@ss. These should be on offer @ £7.99 not £17.99. There will be LOADS of these I reckon floating around all the way to Christmas.

Lesson to learn with steelbook waves is don't rush to buy them. I know that the Japanese Batman Begins sold out and goes for a premium, so if you wait too long you can miss out. With steelbooks being re-released and multi countries releasing them, you may wind up seeing the Batman Begins white steelbook released down the line some where at some point though. That is why I won't pay a premium for steelbooks anymore because it's really just a waste of money. Play the waiting game and hope for a cheaper re-release.

I quite like these and glad I didn't pick up any of the Japanese ones. I reckon the UK ones will go cheap at some point and then I'll bite :D

Reactions: huggy2k4
Wreck: Did you have any discussions with the studio regarding this wave?

I mean why didn't they release the Batman steelbooks? I mean not that I want them to do that.

I quite like these and glad I didn't pick up any of the Japanese ones. I reckon the UK ones will go cheap at some point and then I'll bite :D

Steelbook collecting reaching Amaray bargainbin status :scat:

Yeah these should be on Amazon forever. Will check the stock status and order them some time next year :)

If these were £9.99 each, then I think they would be very popular. If the Steelbook only costs a fraction more than the amaray, then the average film fan will be more likely to grab that version. When it costs two or three times the price, hardly anyone will want to pay that kind of money. I will grab Se7en from this wave, but that's about it as I don't really like the designs and already own 300, 10000 BC, Heat, I Am Legend and Inception from other countries.

Reactions: tono06 and Frasr
Can you imagine what HMV's shelves will look like on release day with all this lot.

Yes the same as always... a mess. These will probably be scattered all over the store. It would be better if they had a dedicated Steelbook section, they might need one with all the upcoming Steelbooks :hilarious:

Status
Not open for further replies.