4K Displays-the future?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
So, what do you think about the buzz surrounding plans to release consumer panels with higher resolution than current 1080p models (BD will be 'upscaled').

Some info on 4K from Cnet

Nonsense or 'the next big thing'?

Chime in! :oohyeah:

DB

Last edited:
Me too, I don't think we'll be witness a sudden change or some sort of impact on the rest of us. We'll simply stay satisfied with our 1080p equipment and movies.

One thing I don't understand is the need for 4k - what's wrong with 1080? I mean my LoTR blu ray looks amazingly good on my current 48 inch HDTV - would watching it in 4k make it any better? :confused:

I'll add my two cents of information that I know. From what I've read, the human eye cannot really distinguish a higher resolution from 1080P to 4K, unless they are less than 6 feet from the display. They didn't say how big that display was (unfortunately).

I also heard that Blu-ray discs, in theory, can have up to 7 layers, but there is a 4-layer one that is 128Gigs. So, I'd say that it holding 4k video wouldn't be a problem in the beginning and if compression improves like they did for Blu-rays, then that would make it even better for the consumers to swallow down eventually.

Some wrote that there is no 4k content, but The Amazing Spiderman was filmed in 4k and a TV show (Sanctuary) was as well. Now I consider myself to be a semi-early adopter. I didn't start buying Blu-rays until after the format wars and for once, I was glad Blu-rays won. I read about more layers and each layer could contain more data than HD-DVD's could, so that was a deciding factor for me.

Do we need 4k right now? I'm thinking no, but I do know that the sooner the new format starts, the faster prices will go down. Let the early, early adopters have their stuff first and shake out all the bugs for the commoners. I certainly won't mind it, LOL.

Last edited:
Ok...someone smarter than me answer this question

When 1080p came out it was thebest their was around at the time. So my question is why would anyone buy 4K when 8K is just a little away with the first (I think?) home 4K 's being outed at CEX but then the 8K being shown I just dont understand why anyone wouldnt just wait?

I've seen the future of television and it is absolutely stunning. I'm talking about an almost 3D image w/o the glasses. If I had $20k to fork over, I would.

I still have people tell me that they can't tell the difference between blu-ray and dvd. ....

This is don't understand. I mean, the difference from DVD to Bluray, with the proper set up, is night and day. I was skeptical at first with Bluray too - I'm always thinking its some sort of industry gimmick to make more money :hilarious:, which is probably is... But when i saw BD play in the stores on a proper 1080p display, i was amazed. People telling you they don't know the difference between DVD and BD aren't viewing it properly, aren't concerned with viewing quality, or just don't care because of the fear of switching over.
I believe the latter will be the case with 4K, especially since the majority of moviephiles just recently changed to BD in the last few years, or are even just changing now.

I'm excited to see the 4K quality, but the industry will really need to force this into the market and try to make BD obsolete for it to stick. But they haven't done so with 3D, and still, even DVD still exists.
Plus, with streaming video jumping leaps and bounds over the past couple years, like Netflix, Flixster, Vudu, etc., it doesn't' even compare to BD yet, even though they are both 1080p - I really believe the industry is jumping too fast to try and switch up media (although, it marketed as an upgraded BD, it may work. Don't forget, most of your BD players, if not all, are backwards compatable with DVD, CD, etc.)

As interesting as the quality is as a moviephile myself, I say let BD, and HD settle in more as being the real world "standard" IMO.
Again, as another member stated before, this conversation could be a bit over my head. Just my opinion.

I don think the the movie theaters my be able to take advantage of this tech, and maybe get more people into the theaters like the old days.

IMO the 4K hype comes from people with vested interests who are the same people who promote it. There is very little native content and so far there has been nothing more than passive curiosity about it.

The hardware manufacturers desperately need a new product/technology to push to the market due to the current stagnation, you only have to look at the recent development between Sony and Panasonic. Also don't forget about Sony and their 4K network ambition.

If 4K is introduced I cant imagine it being a competing format, more along the lines of an extension to the current Blu-ray format in similar way to 3D.

Ok...someone smarter than me answer this question

When 1080p came out it was thebest their was around at the time. So my question is why would anyone buy 4K when 8K is just a little away with the first (I think?) home 4K 's being outed at CEX but then the 8K being shown I just dont understand why anyone wouldnt just wait?

People want to be first, the early adopters will want the best possible picture they can get. They won't be worrying about 8K as that's is surely a long way off. I am interested in 4k but the size of the TV is going to be prohibitive, a lot of people simply don't have the room for a huge TV. I see it becoming a niche product in the future, I think getting everyone to watch 1080P will take long enough. A lot of people simply aren't bothered about HD enough to buy a new TV just now.

After seeing an 84 incher LG, it is the future. The only question for me is how soon the 8k displays will occure (to change for an 4k display than a 8k one is not an option for me).

OK there is an other question - will there be native 4k material en masse soon enough to lure early adopters?

The sheer lack of native content really sets it off for me. I mean why drop so much cash for what is essentially a very niche market of people looking for the next big technological leap. The idea of buying a tv and player for essentially what seems to be mainly for upscaling purposes of what I already own seems pointless to me. Yes its great tech but they have very little to showcase it not to mention you will have to sit closer to even notice a difference. For these reasons, I'll being sitting 4k out for awhile. I'm perfectly happen with what blu-ray has given us.