A History of Violence (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: August 10th, 2015
Purchase links: A History of Violence (live)
Price: £15.99

11090759-9744288605811302.JPG

11117375-1004294026893943.JPG

11117375-1354294026868077.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. So why would someone consider it "an easy pass"? Do they have a bad reputation?

Yes, they have a reputation for subpar discs using poor transfers, particularly those released in the early days of Blu-ray.

Have a browse through the posts in the threads for "The Crow" and "Gangs of New York" Steelbooks, both released in the UK by EiV, to give you an idea.

(@Steelselecta "Riddick" was an eOne release in the UK.)

Awesome! This is one of my favourite films. I do love William Hurt in his small role... "How do you **** that up!" - I'm not expecting greatness when it comes to the artwork but I'd love to own this on steelbook :)

Am I right in thinking EIV haven't actually released any steelbooks yet?

I thought The Crow and The Departed were the first announced? So we don't know what kind of job they'll do yet.

I've been holding off on upgrading this film to Blu, let alone a steelbook, so this is right for me - if the artwork is right, that is.

I wouldn't hold out on good things for this!!! Judging by the fiasco surrounding Zavvi's EIV steelbook announcements so far...it's basically EIV trying to flog OLD discs by....putting them in a steelbook so all the mugs - oops! sorry... customers out there buy it!!!!:censored::censored:

I wouldn't hold out on good things for this!!! Judging by the fiasco surrounding Zavvi's EIV steelbook announcements so far...it's basically EIV trying to flog OLD discs by....putting them in a steelbook so all the mugs - oops! sorry... customers out there buy it!!!!:censored::censored:
Forgive me if this is a silly question but if someone doesn't own that "old" disc already then surely it's worth purchasing if it comes in an impressive steelbook package or something. Like, I personally don't own 'History of Violence' on blu-ray but it's one of my favourite films so if I think the old disc combined with new steelbook packaging is worth £15.99... then what's wrong with that? Unless the steelbook itself is the most heinous thing ever created then I don't see how this is necessarily ripping people off, you know? Hope I'm making sense here. And this isn't meant to be a confrontational response to your post, I'm just intrigued.

Dan...yes you make sense...my point is that all the titles announced by EIV/Zavvi so far are OLD titles where the transfer to blu-ray is barely indistinguishable to it's DVD counterpart!!! oldest trick in the steelbook collecting world for some studio's right now i'm afraid!!

Why can't EIV do American Hustle for christ's sake!! that IS deserving of a steelbook!!!

To everyone skeptical about the transfer because it's from EIV - the disc has better PQ than the US disc, which has been DNR'd:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_verg...670&disc1=3951&disc2=3949&lossless=#vergleich

love the film, hope it has better art than CA one...

You guys are crazy, the CA steel uses the beautiful poster for the art. The UK and US amarays have terrible art. If the Zavvi steel uses the poster but with a gloss finish, I'm definitely buying.

History_of_violence.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: augustus and ValBro
Forgive me if this is a silly question but if someone doesn't own that "old" disc already then surely it's worth purchasing if it comes in an impressive steelbook package or something. Like, I personally don't own 'History of Violence' on blu-ray but it's one of my favourite films so if I think the old disc combined with new steelbook packaging is worth £15.99... then what's wrong with that? Unless the steelbook itself is the most heinous thing ever created then I don't see how this is necessarily ripping people off, you know? Hope I'm making sense here. And this isn't meant to be a confrontational response to your post, I'm just intrigued.

It's not so much their use of an old disc that is the problem, since all studios are often guilty of that, but rather their use of an old transfer when a newer and better one exists. It is in that regard that EiV falls down in comparison with its competitors.

"Gangs of New York" was first released on Blu-ray in 2008. All releases worldwide shared the same bad transfer, universally condemned due to edge enhancement, DNR, compression artifacts, vertical striping, colour smearing and black crush. In 2010 a re-mastered transfer of that title became available and it was subsequently re-released in the US, Canada, Germany and many other countries using the re-mastered transfer. Not so in the UK, however, where EiV have been content to allow the original disc with the bad transfer to remain on sale, even though the re-mastered transfer has been available to them for the last five years.

"The Crow" was released on Blu-ray in the UK by EiV in 2007. No proper HD transfer was available to them, at that time, so EiV utilised the PAL master created for their earlier DVD release. As a result, the disc is 1080i (interlaced), as opposed to 1080p (progressive), suffers from the 4% PAL speedup, hence the shorter running time of the UK release, and only has a lossy soundtrack. The film was subsequently re-mastered in HD and international releases from 2009 onward have been full HD but in the UK, EiV have again been content to allow the original disc with the bad transfer to remain on sale, rather than re-release it with the re-mastered transfer.

This is not to say that all EiV releases are similarly flawed. That most certainly is not the case but caution should exercised. I would never contemplate purchasing one of their titles without first checking out the reviews.

Even being a new release is no guarantee that it will be free from problems, as evidenced by EiV's new Blu-ray of "American Psycho", released in the UK as recently as February of this year but still with a 1080i (interlaced) transfer!

In the absence of any announcement to the contrary, it must be assumed that these same flawed discs will be the ones included in Zavvi's forthcoming Steelbook exclusives.

I know that many here don't care about the quality of the discs themselves, as long as they come in a nice, shiny Steelbook, whilst others are prepared to double dip in order to swap out the problem discs. However, when spending the amount of money being asked for these catalogue titles, I don't think it unreasonable to expect that both the discs and the cases should be fit for purpose.

It's unfortunate that these titles haven't reverted back to Lionsgate, in which case we could expect their re-release with the re-mastered transfers.

I was hoping this would be better than the Canadian edition which is decent but not great. The amaray artwork would have been better than this. Nevermind.

Reactions: Ronnie3067