A History of Violence (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: August 10th, 2015
Purchase links: A History of Violence (live)
Price: £15.99

11090759-9744288605811302.JPG

11117375-1004294026893943.JPG

11117375-1354294026868077.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that art is bad. Where did they get that from? Is it poster art from somewhere?

I was hoping this would have amazing art but I am now massively disappointed. I'll wait on a price drop or track down the other steel that exists of this.

Oh God, ANOTHER bland red/black steelbook pile of shite, what the heck is up with these film studios, don't they want to sell their films ?

It's like a massive middle finger to the steelbook collectors.....:punch:

I believe Zavvi have been making some seriously poor business decisions here, who in their right mind is going to accept at least 2000 + steelbooks of an old catalogue title that they have no idea what it looks like before purchase ? (not talking about the Empire compos here)

just poor, if zavvi had any sense, they'd have a sale or return/exclusivity period set up for this, so they can send the unsold 2000 steelbooks back after 6 months of gathering dust....

Oh and just to be clear, as if you haven't guessed, I'm passing on this...:woot:

I think it looks pretty good. Let's face it if Kimchi/Blufans had this exact design with a full slip everyone would bow before it. Goes to show a mediocre effort can be overridden and Zavvi should probably look into it.

Reactions: Phantasmic
His awkward facial expression makes this artwork bad regardless of the bland red lol. Is he distracted while trying to shoot somebody?:rofl: Why did this art get chosen. Shouldve just been the old standard poster art w/o a blu banner and clean back if anything.

I think it looks pretty good. Let's face it if Kimchi/Blufans had this exact design with a full slip everyone would bow before it. Goes to show a mediocre effort can be overridden and Zavvi should probably look into it.

Let me stop you right there because I really don't think that would happen. They take pride in their product. This was slapped together in under an hour in an attempt to move old stock.

Let's face it if Kimchi/Blufans had this exact design with a full slip everyone would bow before it.

Some might, which tells me and studios some people will buy anything so we will keep getting garbage like this.

Say it's limited it will sell out especially Marvel or Disney. Says more about addiction than taste. I've let many Kimchi/blufans pass me even on films I like because the art wasn't up to the standard I require before purchasing. I guess I'm in the minority on being very picky now because the same bad cheap art is still selling out.

This will be under £8 in less than 6 months easily. It's not limited and the art is just awful.

Reactions: StifflersDad
Let me stop you right there because I really don't think that would happen. They take pride in their product. This was slapped together in under an hour in an attempt to move old stock.

Whilst I love Kimchi and Blufans. I really don't think some of their recent efforts, take The Raid Kimchi steelbook mock-ups for example look much better than this *starts to run*. At least with this the tonality is representative of the film in my opinion *runs faster*, even if it is a bit basic. I might be a little unorthodox in that respect, as I prefer this artwork over let's say Whiplash *outruns Road Runner*. Hopefully as @psychoscot mentioned this will be £8 in the forthcoming months. :thumbs:

Reactions: psychoscot
Whilst I love Kimchi and Blufans. I really don't think some of their recent efforts, take The Raid Kimchi steelbook mock-ups for example look much better than this *starts to run*. At least with this the tonality is representative of the film in my opinion *runs faster*, even if it is a bit basic. I might be a little unorthodox in that respect, as I prefer this artwork over let's say Whiplash *outruns Road Runner*. Hopefully as @psychoscot mentioned this will be £8 in the forthcoming months. :thumbs:

Totally agree, I think both of the Raid steels so far are far better than the Asian one just announced "But of course it's an asian release so must be better, some will WRONGLY say" I don't have loyalty to any company or country I just try and get the best version I can. Sometimes that means a cool asian release sometimes it can be as simple as Zavvi or Amazon. I go by art/finish/overall package, rather than how rare it might become as value is completely irrelative to me as I buy to open and keep. This steel has bad art and knowing EIV it will be at least 4000 copies "most likely more" it will not sell out and be dirt cheap in a matter of months to help Zavvi sell them better.

Reactions: UpsetSmiley
The original Canadian Steelbook isn't as superior to this effort like everyone is making out IMO.
D5AClgS.jpg
llwj1n0.jpg
Aj3j9YW.jpg
Pros:
Slightly better front artwork (at least it's colour)
Inside art is nice (probably the best thing about it)

Cons:
Blu banner on top.
French writing (especially on the spine)
Back cover is basically empty and boring.
U.S. (and I'm not 100% sure but I imagine the Canadian is the same) version is censored-International release is unchanged.

The cons outweigh the pros for this IMO.

If this has good back artwork (which I can't see why it won't) and a decent finish (it might turn out gloss, you never know) I will trade in my Canadian copy for this in a heartbeat!

Reactions: UpsetSmiley
The original Canadian Steelbook isn't as superior to this effort like everyone is making out IMO.
D5AClgS.jpg
llwj1n0.jpg
Aj3j9YW.jpg
Pros:

Cons:
Blu banner on top.
U.S. (and I'm not 100% sure but I imagine the Canadian is the same) version is censored-International release is unchanged.

If this has good back artwork (which I can't see why it won't) and a decent finish (it might turn out gloss, you never know) I will trade in my Canadian copy for this in a heartbeat!

Very valid points, I'm very glad I didn't import the Canadian one to simply pop in the superior UK disc. As strange as the choice is for the front UK artwork, you never know how the rear / inside and finish will turn out.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
D5AClgS.jpg
llwj1n0.jpg
Aj3j9YW.jpg
Pros:

Cons:
Blu banner on top.

cons : canadian is region A only. (i know i could put in diffent disc but I'm not into that)

will get this one.

Personally, I don't think the art is horrible. It is generic though, so many face or head shots for steelbooks and I love me some viggo any day. Perhaps one day this movie will get a more unique artwork :\

I agree that The Raid steels are garbage, but this art = better than Whiplash??? EEK!

D5AClgS.jpg
llwj1n0.jpg
Aj3j9YW.jpg
Pros:
Slightly better
front artwork (at least it's colour)

Cons:
Blu banner on top.

The front artwork is so much better, it's not even close. I agree about the cons though.

Hi guys, please help keep the thread on topic discussing the title of the thread. If you wish to discuss other exclusives, please contribute to those threads.Thanks all!

Reactions: IRON MAN