Buy links:
Amazon UK - £16.42
Zavvi - £17.99

CONFIRMED TO BE REGION B LOCKED

0.jpg

bigtrouble.jpg

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think this is a stone cold classic, remember having a copy taped of the TV as a kid and I wore it out, the hairy monster used to make me scream at the TV but all the kung fu antics and of course 'It's Raiden out of Mortal Kombat !!!' made up for it all. An absolute gem, really glad I got the steelbook for christmas :D

I guess I'm no fun because I just saw this and I thought the film is sort of messy and stupid. There's no rhyme or reason and things just happen because they can. Characters suddenly know Kung-Fu or just appear out of nowhere. Monsters out of the wahoo, etc.

Have you ever seen an 80's movie?! Especially an 80's Carpenter movie...?

Yes. The Thing wasn't anything like this. It has an actual plot, coherent narrative, and characters motivation.

I understand where you're coming from, I do. But comparing Big Trouble and The Thing is like apples and oranges. Two completely different kinds of films. And I'm sure watching this film for the first time now is completely different than a lot of us who grew up with it in the 80's. I just think it is what it is and there's a reason why Big Trouble wasn't nominated for an Oscar or isn't reviewed in any Cinematic Appreciation courses in college. Also, see ashisharobot's post above...

And like it or not, you can't deny the AMAZING job Arrow Video did with the steelbook. Tip top as usual...

Last edited:
Reactions: harry
I understand where you're coming from, I do. But comparing Big Trouble and The Thing is like apples and oranges. Two completely different kinds of films. And I'm sure watching this film for the first time now is completely different than a lot of us who grew up with it in the 80's. I just think it is what it is and there's a reason why Big Trouble wasn't nominated for an Oscar or isn't reviewed in any Cinematic Appreciation courses in college. Also, see ashisharobot's post above...

I wasn't exactly comparing either of them. I was responding to your question whether I have seen Carpenter's other 80 films, as if that makes your argument more valid. So I answered that I have. The Thing. Whether or not you think it's like comparing apples and oranges is irrelevant. Carpenter is capable of directing a movie that actually has coherent narrative and this one barely has one.

I mean it's fine that you enjoy them but in reverse, you should also understand why others kind of roll their eyes at some of the rather cringe-worthy elements of the film. Especially the film's stereotype of asian people and lack of explanation for pretty much everything that happens in the film.

I wasn't exactly comparing either of them. I was responding to your question whether I have seen Carpenter's other 80 films, as if that makes your argument more valid. So I answered that I have. The Thing. Whether or not you think it's like comparing apples and oranges is irrelevant. Carpenter is capable of directing a movie that actually has coherent narrative and this one barely has one.

I mean it's fine that you enjoy them but in reverse, you should also understand why others kind of roll their eyes at some of the rather cringe-worthy elements of the film. Especially the film's stereotype of asian people and lack of explanation for pretty much everything that happens in the film.

Geez... well after you get your panties out of their wad, maybe you can read again where I clearly lead on to the fact that this film has not, nor will not, ever be known for its cinematic value. I think you're taking all this, including my responses and the movie, FAR too seriously. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And in the paraphrased words of the GREAT Ricky Bobby..."Mr. Menouthis, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on."

Geez... well after you get your panties out of their wad, maybe you can read again where I clearly lead on to the fact that this film has not, nor will not, ever be known for its cinematic value. I think you're taking all this, including my responses and the movie, FAR too seriously. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And in the paraphrased words of the GREAT Ricky Bobby..."Mr. Menouthis, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on."

LOL. You're not really good at this arguing thing, are you? Or rather not good at realizing what you type. Saying "with all due respect" after insulting someone is pretty hypocritical to say the least. And now you're off quoting some random useless proverb.

LOL. You're not really good at this arguing thing, are you? Or rather not good at realizing what you type. Saying "with all due respect" after insulting someone is pretty hypocritical to say the least. And now you're off wuoting some random useless proverb.

It's a line from a movie, dude! Wow, you really are no fun at all. And I wasn't trying to argue with you whatsoever. We have differing opinions, yes, but big frickin deal...it's just a movie! You should really learn to loosen up, bro. Learn to take a joke, and in turn, joke back... Reply if you must, but I'm done as I've clearly hurt your feelings.

It's a line from a movie, dude! Wow, you really are no fun at all. And I wasn't trying to argue with you whatsoever. We have differing opinions, yes, but big frickin deal...it's just a movie! You should really learn to loosen up, bro. Learn to take a joke, and in turn, joke back... Reply if you must, but I'm done as I've clearly hurt your feelings.

Nope, i just wanted to point out how absurd and ridiculous your arguments are. Not surprisingly when all things fail, you resorted to insults and then a weak excuse like "just a joke, BRO". If you can't take the heat then don't go arguing with someone on flimsy base as "have you seen 80s film?". That's pathetic.

I would wager, now you know what you're getting yourself into, you'd enjoy a second viewing a lot more.

It's often the same with big theatrical releases for me. I hype myself to a degree in which the film can't possibly live up to expectations and come away disappointed yet the second Blu Ray viewing is an absolute pleasure.

When i think of watching a 'serious' horror The Thing is top of my list...and when it comes to goofy , charming, 80's fun, BTILC is right there.

Reactions: mlmaier84
"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: 'Have ya paid your dues, Jack?' 'Yessir, the check is in the mail.'"

Reactions: mlmaier84 and dipzy
My order from Amazon finally arrived to the U.S. today. Back in the usual box that they've been sending steels in earlier. The box was half crushed, but no damage to the steel itself!

Loving the artwork for this. Shame mine has a nice few scratches on the back due to my girlfriend knocking it off my tv cabinet. Just watched it for the first time in about a year and man I wish there was a sequel, like Uncharted but with Jack Burton.

Reactions: Geek Tragedy
Loving the artwork for this. Shame mine has a nice few scratches on the back due to my girlfriend knocking it off my tv cabinet. Just watched it for the first time in about a year and man I wish there was a sequel, like Uncharted but with Jack Burton.

:ohno: time to break up lol