Cars 2 (Blu-Ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

RobertJoseph17

Premium Supporter
Jan 22, 2011
Illinois, United States
Looks like HMV is getting a Cars 2 Steelbook.

Release Date of November 21, 2011.
(Thanks to o0 Deuce 0o for the pictures)
1003481.jpg

1003482g.jpg

1003484j.jpg

(Old infos)

Last edited by a moderator:
i bet they wont ship the dvd internationally. with it being region locked (i would imagine) perhaps they will send a US dvd copy?

yeah i guess scott pilgrim was approved, but if im not mistaken, (and im not, as im looking at it in my hand) it has printed logos, and text printed on the back.
very similar to this here cars 2.

i bet they wont ship the dvd internationally. with it being region locked (i would imagine) perhaps they will send a US dvd copy?

yeah i guess scott pilgrim was approved, but if im not mistaken, (and im not, as im looking at it in my hand) it has printed logos, and text printed on the back.
very similar to this here cars 2.

I think the point is there is an identical steel out in Sweden and it has no logos and the back is amazing looking.

If there was a Scott Pilgrim that had no logos on it, the U.K. one would be not so hot.

Someone needs to confirm whether you need to join the Rewards Program to redeem the code for the DVD

This is taken from Disney UK

Who may join the Disney Movie Rewards Program?
The Program is open to legal residents of the United Kingdom and Ireland who are 18 years and older at the time of enrollment. Employees, directors and officers of Disney and any agencies or other companies involved in the development or execution of the Program, as well as their immediate families (parents, siblings, children and spouse) and persons living in the same household (whether related or not) are not eligible to enter the Program to collect and redeem points or win a prize.

I think the point is there is an identical steel out in Sweden and it has no logos and the back is amazing looking.

If there was a Scott Pilgrim that had no logos on it, the U.K. one would be not so hot.

aha, so its just the 'grass is greener' thing.
still shouldnt equate to the uk being rubbish though. you dont deiced your girlfriend is suddenly ugly because you get a new neighbour whos hotter, right?
if the uk cars is poor, then so too is scott pilgrim to my mind.
its each to his own, and everyone has different tastes, but i think we all need to stop expecting great things.

in my opinion the german death race steelbook is average, i got it after searching a while, and i was disappointed. it wasnt as fantastic as i expected.
i learned a lesson right there, to stop expecting too much.
i now hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
i was just hoping for inside artwork and NOT a stickerbook with cars 2 (with considering the low price) so its certainly no disappointment to me.
for the price, i didnt expect a seperate data sheet or embossing (which would have added cost im sure) or the rating logos to be stickers.
ok it may have been better if the artwork didnt have the border, but the picture was up ages ago showing the border,so it was to be expected.

you kinda get what you pay for, so for any steelbook thats cheaper than average then you can expect cheaper production.

im in the minority, i like it.
ok its not embossed/debossed (but very few uk releases are)
and yes it has printed logos (as a good deal of uk releases do, so expected)
and it has text printed on the back (again, the majority of uk steels do)

but lets be fair to it, it was CHEAP! (most steels now are starting at the £19.99 mark)
nice inside artwork too.
im yet to see pix of the other releases, but for £14.99 this is a steal for me.
if it were G1, or a stickerbook... then yeah tear it to pieces.

but lets think people. the last UK steelbook that everyone actually LIKED???!!!
was it star trek?

I thought everyone liked Source Code!:p I do agree that the price was decent on for this, while it's not as nice as the others £15 is a good price.

Last edited:
i didnt have a huge problem with source code to be honest. it was cheap enough to forgive.
but i would rather have paid £20 for a 'real' steelbook. likewise with cars 2, if there were a choice, i would choose to pay £20 for it embossed with removable logos and a data sheet (hence full back artwork)
hey, at least we havent been subjected to those metalpacks. those i do dislike. i have a few, but would sooo love to replace them with proper steelbooks.

i didnt have a huge problem with source code to be honest. it was cheap enough to forgive.
but i would rather have paid £20 for a 'real' steelbook. likewise with cars 2, if there were a choice, i would choose to pay £20 for it embossed with removable logos and a data sheet (hence full back artwork)
hey, at least we havent been subjected to those metalpacks. those i do dislike. i have a few, but would sooo love to replace them with proper steelbooks.

I could have forgiven Source code if it was just printed! Yeah Metalpaks are very poor. They are all scratched up before you even get to unwrap them, I had a couple but I didn't like the feel of them at all, way too flimsy and prone to damage.

i suspect people who like this steelbook are in the minority, but as i always say people have there opinions but i still dont think £15 is that cheap a price for this and the slip amaray version is the same art. better to buy the nordic version if you like this artwork, has artwork front and back.

i back read and i saw it EEK! :hilarious:

i thought for a moment i was in a 'customized steelbook thread'

it doesn't even come close to the BB Viva metal box :naughty:
for steelbook purist see the asian release...

Last edited:
i think the viva one is probably nicer. if anyone knows a place where i can get one for £15 including shipping im all ears :hilarious:

im curious though, for those who hate this cars 2 steel, do you hate scott pilgrim the same?
or is it purely becaue you know there are 'better' versions of the steelbook around that its being seen as a turkey.
as i said before though, £15 for a steelbook IS cheap.
the only other steelbook that was so cheap on release date was source code (and that wasnt really a steelbook. and would have been cheaper to manufacture)
i did get free running at a good price on amazon (but 1. its a back catologue title, and 2. it was priced far higher on hmv)
£17.99 is the standard, and that price looks to have risen to £19.99 (captain america, super 8) since the VAT loophole is being shut.

i know price isnt the issue, after all, getting one of the other versions will prove maybe twice the price. but really, when its below avarage price, you cant expect above average quality.
it makes you wonder about the upcoming devils double. if its so cheap its probably gonna be a stickerbook, metalpack, or low quality build.
for that one id recommend nobody to order it who have high expectations, because it will be a disappointment to anybody who expects it to be good.
you get what you pay for.

i :drool: the scott pilgrim sb. it has an epic front art.

the cars 2 UK release on the other hand is...oh well, a half-assed front art, annoying text / logos at the back. man those rating logos look huge ! even bigger than the snapshots of the movie !

This is annoying me how everyone hates on U.K steels! I don't buy foriegn ones, I'm proud of our British steels, and to be honest was pissed when green lantern from hmv didn't have logos printed, it's our unofficial trade make of having logos printed on our steels. We have some very good steelbooks in the uk, and Im glade we don't get everyone single film on steelbook like Germany, cos it makes ours more special and we feel the excitement more wen its one of our own. How many other Brits feel the same...proud to be British wit our (rubbish or not) steelbooks lol!

This is annoying me how everyone hates on U.K steels! I don't buy foriegn ones, I'm proud of our British steels, and to be honest was pissed when green lantern from hmv didn't have logos printed, it's our unofficial trade make of having logos printed on our steels. We have some very good steelbooks in the uk, and Im glade we don't get everyone single film on steelbook like Germany, cos it makes ours more special and we feel the excitement more wen its one of our own. How many other Brits feel the same...proud to be British wit our (rubbish or not) steelbooks lol!

Couldnt agree more buddy, the word "Disaster" been used alot in this thread when in fact this is a tin case with a blu ray movie inside, nothing more. I would hate to be an OCD collector these days as you must wake up in the middle of the night screaming in terror that these demon logo's are coming to get you.

well im british but i dont like the UK steels as of late including this one and certainly dont want printed logos and yes i have nightmares about the logos screaming in the middle of the night NOOOOOOO ARGHHHHHHH not printed logos lol, no idea why the missus thinks im wierd.:dunno: