Collection Database/Management Software

thefly

Premium Supporter
Dec 12, 2011
Bristol, UK
Does anybody use any sort of DVD/Blu-ray collection database software to keep track of their collections?

I want to be able to keep track of what I've bought and what I've spent. I started using a spreadsheet but then thought there has to be something better than that. I've found this:

DVD Profiler

Thought I would give it a go. I like that this one stores your database online so you can access it from elsewhere.

Has anybody tried this? Or use anything else? Or is it just me with the OCD? ;)

I'd be very surprised if ALL of us on this forum weren't OCD about their collections! I use Collectorz software to catalog my movies, and I'm very, very happy with it. They also have an online site that can be accessed from anywhere as well as an iPhone app. There's a link to my collection on Collectorz that I use for my signature. Check it out!

Reactions: thefly
I use CATVids as a master dB for storing every single movie I own. It's the most feature rich movie dB software there is. It's completely customizable from the data entry standpoint to the html view where if you know xml you can customize your viewing interface. It has a loaning system and even has a feature for your wants. It has a little bit of a learning curve but is THE best movie dB software out there.

Next I use 'My Movies' as my secondary as I found it way better than Collectorz 'Movie Collector' and has a wicked bad ass web interface that just blows 'Connect' out of the water IMO. Connect is the web interface for Movie Collector. Here's a look at My Movies web interface. As you can see I have all my movies plus I have a category setup strictly for steelbooks.

MyMoviesWeb1.jpg

Incidentally it also has a port to iOS for iPhone and iPad and also Android devices as well. If you update your collection on your iPad then the next time you open your My Movies on your computer it automatically updates to accept the changes.

You can check out My Movies web interface first hand by clicking the 'My Steelbooks' link in my signature.

I've tried all movie dB software on the net and these two seem to be the best. Next in line would be DVD Profiler and then Movie Collector by Collectorz IMO. ...and yes I'm completely OCD about my movies. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: thefly
Cheers for the suggestions - I'm glad I'm not the only OCD on here! I have started a trial of DVD Profiler & Collectorz and I'll see how they go. I also like the look of CATvids and My Movies; I'll give My Movies a go too, but probably leave CATvids as it doesn't have the online component of the others.

Thanks for your help. :)

I cannot discuss here the software/website I'm using for managing my collection that has an iphone app... :emb:

And also uses my Excel sheet for security reason (with skydrive for insurance and all...)

Stop teasing us and reveal your methods! :p

I agree!

On a side note, I've been using Delicious Library 2 on Mac for like 2 years now. It does everything I need it to do. I managed to pick up the iPhone app when it was available before being removed so I carry that on my iPad.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't use a Mac (yet).

As an update, I tried DVD Profiler, Collectorz and My Movies. In the end I settled on Collectorz 'Movie Collector' as it easily allows me to have multiple database entries for a particular release of a movie. I find this very useful to track my multiple copies of various films I buy. I couldn't find an easy way to do this in the other two applications with out creating seperate databases.

I use My Movies iPhone app to keep track of my films. I like the fact that you can also shake the phone to select a random film! I use it to keep track of my digital downloads and can then choose what I want to watch using the app. You can filter it to show only movies you haven't marked as watched/genres etc. Not really gotten into any of the customised DB apps/PC programmes but may do one day! I haven't added any steelbooks to My Movies yet though...