Disney To No Longer Offer Physical Media in Australia

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
On the heel of the news that Disney will be no longer supporting physical releases in Australia after GOTG3, and that the Canada version of Disney Movie Club will be closing,
it has occurred to me that members here may not yet know, so posting here for visibility.

FOR ANY MEMBER - some of my steelbook listings might be sold out, if there's time to restock I can if you were hoping to source in your own country, let me know if you need
help going forward.

Secondly, I am also considering placing a Group Buy order with Disney Movie Club in the USA and could reship any requests directly to you. That would require a custom invoice from me and
a bit of extra work, but if you are concerned Disney might pull the plug on the USA store, maybe now is the time to source a Disney Blu-ray that is only available to the club.

If there is enough demand, I would be willing to help, we've done this before and it's gone well.

Sources:

I saw this couple days ago, but doesn't that mean that others can release their media there on their request?
It sux most definitely but still before they'll confirm they can release anything it'll be century most probably...

I saw this couple days ago, but doesn't that mean that others can release their media there on their request?
It sux most definitely but still before they'll confirm they can release anything it'll be century most probably...
What gives you that idea? Disney aren't about to let another company distribute their media, when they've purposefully stopped. Not a chance. If that was possible it would've happened in Asia since they pulled out of the region.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
What gives you that idea? Disney aren't about to let another company distribute their media, when they've purposefully stopped. Not a chance. If that was possible it would've happened in Asia since they pulled out of the region.
Actually, that is precisely what's happening in a lot of places. In Germany, e.g., Leonine is taking over distribution for Disney starting October.

I'm thinking they'll drive me to open a torrent website, kinda like the closed Bulgarian RarBG, in my lawless country, specifically for Disney releases, until those are made available on disc. :squint:

Reactions: goufcustom
Actually, that is precisely what's happening in a lot of places. In Germany, e.g., Leonine is taking over distribution for Disney starting October.
Really? All titles? I know they distributed the IM mondos etc.. relatively recently, but wasn't aware of anything else.

Still, that might be a bit different, like they're distributing for them (the arrangement WB and universal have) as a partner, rather than disney making the choice to pull out of the region and allowing another company to license their media.

If they were allowing the latter some Chinese or Korean firm would've picked it up long ago, making it a no go in Australia.

I'm thinking they'll drive me to open a torrent website, kinda like the closed Bulgarian RarBG, in my lawless country, specifically for Disney releases, until those are made available on disc. :squint:
I wouldn't feel too bad about that, rarbg chose to shut down completely last month, suddenly. So no one has access now.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
past:
companies were pissed, because people downloaded their movies instead of buying them

today:
people want to buy their movies, but they cant

:rolleyes:
I miss those anti piracy clips everytime I used to play a dvd, little did the FBI know...:naughty:

download (11).jpeg

Really? All titles? I know they distributed the IM mondos etc.. relatively recently, but wasn't aware of anything else.

Still, that might be a bit different, like they're distributing for them (the arrangement WB and universal have) as a partner, rather than disney making the choice to pull out of the region and allowing another company to license their media.

If they were allowing the latter some Chinese or Korean firm would've picked it up long ago, making it a no go in Australia.
Yes, it's a distribution deal for all titles (including 20th Fox and Searchlight) here. Just like Universal is handling Warner and Sony will be distributed by Plaion.

Yes, it's a distribution deal for all titles (including 20th Fox and Searchlight) here. Just like Universal is handling Warner and Sony will be distributed by Plaion.
Right okay, there we go then. That makes more sense, and is different to licensing their material. That's what I meant they'd never do, after pulling from a region.

Read this the other day and it’s sh!t news for the Aussies but the market is so small over there.

This won’t happen in the U.K. or the rest Europe and the U.S of A

Reactions: wojo134
It seems incredibly pointless, most people who buy discs likely have Disney+ if they would be tempted by it, it's hardly going to drive subscribers - just push piracy.
Hmm… I feel ur referring to the last few that buy discs out of necessity cuz they’re still somewhat “analogue” but those people would sooner turn to Disney+ than piracy cuz the latter’s just more troublesome to figure out.

Simple thinking :D. That doesn't mean like most ppl think - no physical media from them there on, there'll be other distributor/s, it's just that. Sure though not in that range as if Disney would distribute there themselves :).