E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Tweeted yesterday:

If you can't see the tweet:

Karl Urban tweeted:

Dredd 2: I'd do it !! @netflix or @Amazon . There's a gold mine of Awesome Mega City 1 stories!

What do you think? More DREDD? Discuss below.

dredd3-2.jpeg

Hell yeah, think Alex Garland had plot for a trilogy of films.
It's a known IP that probably found more success with home release. While it would be nice to see another film in cinemas I think Netflix/Hulu/Amazon may be the best route.
While I'd love to see Alex Garland direct this maybe he could produce and oversea this.
The fan persistence will get this made, Ash vs The Evil Dead, X-Files, Twin Peaks. All genre shows that have come back because of fan base. Really hope this happens.

Reactions: IRON MAN
@AlienKing You're thinking of Almost Human, I used to watch it. Was cancelled due to the drop in ratings after the initial 9.6 million viewers.

Anyway, let's see if this gets traction thanks to the power of social media. :)

Reactions: AlienKing
@AlienKing You're thinking of Almost Human, I used to watch it. Was cancelled due to the drop in ratings after the initial 9.6 million viewers.

Anyway, let's see if this gets traction thanks to the power of social media. :)
Yep, that's the one. I was hoping it'd last more than a season. I used to watch it too because of Karl Urban + JJ Abrams :thumbs:

Reactions: IRON MAN
Forbes is on the case too :D

960x0.jpg

Karl Urban is probably, at this point, best known for his excellent portrayal of Dr Leonard ‘Bones’ McCoy in the rebooted Star Trek movie series. But he’s also the star of one of the best comic book adaptations I’ve seen: Judge Dredd. The 2012 movie, “Dredd” is much-loved by fans, but didn’t make enough of a box office impact for the studio to rush into production on a second. Urban has said previously that he’d love to reprise the role, but this week he’s also called on Netflix and Amazon to put a sequel into production.

That tweet was brought about as a result of one from a user called SteJay who posted a mockup of the Netflix page for Dredd 2. A nifty idea, and one that draws attention to a long-running campaign to bring back Dredd. There’s a Facebook group with 101,465 likes and several sites have tried to build support for a return too.

The original movie brought in just $35m theatrically across the world on a budget of $50m – according to Box Office Mojo – while the previous Stallone movie “Judge Dredd” managed £113m. These days most films eventually make their initial investment back for the studio, but that’s not what those businesses are looking for, they want a profit and ideally a large one. So that makes companies like Amazon and Netflix ideal for funding a sequel. For one, those who love Dredd would flock to the service bumping subscriptions as well has helping Netflix reach more users than just those interested in the Marvel universe.

In fact, I think that Dredd could be the next huge hit for Netflix to make as an original series. The Dredd universe is absolutely stuffed with amazing stories to tell. The comic has been running since 1977 and there is incredible potential here to create a comic book TV series that takes the vast and overcrowded world of Mega-City One which houses 800 million people and where criminals are punished by the Judges of Justice Department.

Plus Dredd is, quite simply, a badass. While I love and value the more thoughtful Marvel shows that Netflix has produced, there’s some value in some slightly more action-packed drama too. Dredd has plenty of depth available, but he’s also a representation of faceless and unaccountable lawmakers. And that’s an interesting story to tell, especially when judges are the ones dishing out justice in the form of instant death penalties.

Of course just seeing another movie that followed the basis of the first would be absolutely excellent in its own right. Even if you don’t like comic book adaptations, I’d argue that Dredd is the perfect action movie. For one thing, it comes in at just 90 minutes. To give some context to that, Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon hobbles over the finish line only after two and a half hours. And absolutely nothing interesting happens in that film. Dredd on the other hand is simple and perfect. There’s basically one location, one simple task for Dredd to complete and the action is bloody, interesting and very graphic. The movie is also boosted by some cutting edge visual effects too, which thought outside the box.

So here’s my plea, and the plea of many others, please Amazon or Netflix, can we have Dredd on TV to dispense his very particular kind of justice? It sounds like you’ve got a Hollywood star ready and waiting who’s proven he has what the role takes.

Original Forbes article here

I would definitely want a Netflix series or a DREDD 2 film. Can't believe the first one wasn't profitable.

Easily one of the best action films that year.

Via TheRealStanLee

Could Netflix Be Bringing Back Judge Dredd? One Big ‘Fan’ Sure Hopes So

He’s one of the most iconic characters in outsider comics. His purpose within the dystopian world known as Mega-City One is to act as law enforcement, with the power to summarily arrest, convict, sentence, and execute criminals at will. The first time he was brought to the big screen, Sylvester Stallone was trying to turn him into a future shock Rambo. Now, after a decent outing featuring Karl Urban, fans of Judge Dredd are hoping the streaming service Netflix is eager to greenlight a sequel.

Nothing is set in stone, and most of the speculation is built on the basis of a petition with over 145,000 signatures. In the words of the appeal, “With the success of series such as ‘Daredevil,’ ‘Jessica Jones,’ and ‘The Man in the High Castle,’ the clamour of the growing fanbase for more from the incredible world of the 2012 ‘Dredd’ movie cannot be ignored.” Urban has even pledged his support, though that really doesn’t guarantee anything. He promised the people back in 2014 that the team was “working very, very hard to bring you ‘Dredd 2.'”

Karl Urban Is The Embodiment Of The Character

dredd1.jpg

It does seem like a natural fit. The non-cable content provider has been trying to expand its original programming and productions, signing deals with Marvel as well as Adam Sandler. For many Dredd 2 would up the stakes a bit, proving that Netflix could compete with the big boys, including the Hollywood studios. So far, there’s been no reaction to the petition. Until there is, a decision on Dredd 2 seems lost in limbo.

Karl Urban says conversations about a DREDD series are happening

13115617_258541857833860_984912694_n.png.jpeg

About a week or so ago, Karl Urban tweeted that he’d definitely be down to do a Dredd series for Amazon or Netflix. The response has been massive, which should tell you just how much of a following the cult film has built since its initial release back in 2012.

Well, apparently, at the Calgary Expo this past weekend, Karl Urban said that “conversations are happening” regarding a potential series for the character:

Via ScreenGeek