paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 27, 2024
Purchase links: Amazon - Target - Walmart
Price: $34.49 (Amazon - Target) - $45.99 (Walmart)
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

F9AA19FB-A451-46A4-9627-456248EA762E.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm the illustrator that worked on this and just wanted to check in and thank everyone for the feedback. I'm always looking to get better so appreciate it when people point out what they think I can improve on, so thanks for all the comments. I did work really hard on this within the time period for the deadline, following the client's brief. I'm really excited to see it in person as it's my first steelbook.

Sorry about the bank - genuinely wasn't in the nigh-time photo of LA that I used as reference - have to be careful when choosing reference images to work from for commercial jobs due to copyrights and things like that, and I'm not from LA so couldn't take one myself, so thought that one was the best I could use under the copyright license.
Nah, you wanted to piss of native angelenos, @AlexC24 in particular :naughty:

Hi all, I'm the illustrator that worked on this and just wanted to check in and thank everyone for the feedback. I'm always looking to get better so appreciate it when people point out what they think I can improve on, so thanks for all the comments. I did work really hard on this within the time period for the deadline, following the client's brief. I'm really excited to see it in person as it's my first steelbook.

Sorry about the bank - genuinely wasn't in the nigh-time photo of LA that I used as reference - have to be careful when choosing reference images to work from for commercial jobs due to copyrights and things like that, and I'm not from LA so couldn't take one myself, so thought that one was the best I could use under the copyright license.
Simply put, I really appreciate you giving the steelbook overall design some really nice colors to pop on a metallic steelbook covers. Unfortunately, outside of the recent Disney+ steel it feels like a lot of studios are wanting to go away from bright colors which is very sad.

Feedback, I appreciate the overall design and lack of a title on the front as I feel like the viewer will already immediately what this film is called. Only nitpick from me is the logo on the spine (to have it like a gradient) multiple colors instead of just one but that is my feeling on it lol!

You did a great job.

I think I would have left off the small image of Gosling on the front, since it's the same image on the back. I think just having the car there would have been cleaner. Great job though.

Nah, you wanted to piss of native angelenos, @AlexC24 in particular :naughty:
Lol I truly don't even take what I said that seriously. I think for the most part the artwork and design looks fantastic and this is a day one pickup for me. Just felt like being melodramatic about a minor exception I had over a creative decision. What can I say I'm a Class A troll and I'm working on getting that down to about a C.

• Haha
Reactions: jonnybobbytimmy

I had no clue your omission of the bank building was motivated by a potential licensing issue and now I feel like an ignoramus. In spite of the unfortunate exclusion, your illustration is a work of art and I am grateful for it.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Lol I truly don't even take what I said that seriously. I think for the most part the artwork and design looks fantastic and this is a day one pickup for me. Just felt like being melodramatic about a minor exception I had over a creative decision. What can I say I'm a Class A troll and I'm working on getting that down to about a C.
All good man, just winding you up :D

I don’t think there are 12 different Drive steels?
Yeah I was trying to think what are the 12 steels. Maybe 9? Close to 12 but surely this can’t be the 12th?

I thought I’d only passed on 1 myself (German release)