Completed Game Of Thrones (Season 8) [HBO]

Sirjump

Steelbook Viking
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2011
Norway
From IMDB

Seen the first 5 episodes now and must admit it is growing on me. The characters and character development is really great. Not that much action so far but I have a feeling that will change.

Anyone have some views on this series? :scat:

E.

Attachments

• game.jpg
    game.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 531
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aberdonian83
I was entertained but I wasn't satisfied. Really mixed feelings.
This is pretty much how I feel to be honest... thoroughly entertained, but not entirely satisfied. They've drastically changed the pace this season and seem to be putting action before story, whereas GoT has always been about story -- good character development with plenty of twists and turns that have genuine shock value. I get that they want to go out with a bang, but they didn't need to take it so literal... there are a lot of really epic scenes, but they're all crammed into one, which leaves us no time to truly appreciate and digest it all.

I mean... remember how awesome and memorable the Hound vs Brienne fight was? After that episode I couldn't wait to see him go up against The Mountain, but it was thrown into the latest episode amongst all the other action that was going on, so it was kind of overshadowed IMO. Same goes for their deaths... I didn't even feel sad about The Hound dying, nor anyone's this season in fact.

Also, I genuinely found myself sympathising more with Cersei than Dany, who up til now has been my favourite character, so it feels like it's all been a bit of a waste. I get that she's been through a lot of s*** lately and is understandably in a pretty unforgiving mood, but damn... the girl's gone totally mad lol. I guess that's the point though, and it's something I wasn't expecting, which GoT has always delivered on to be fair. Cersei's end was very anticlimactic too... she wasn't even given a chance, which sucked! I think we all expected her to be able to put up more of fight, since that's what it's been leading to this whole time. :rolleyes:

So, yeah... I'm 50/50 overall. It's been a very enjoyable season if nothing else, but I'm now getting the impression we're not all going to get the sort of ending we want, nor deserve.

Flaming hell
Left me quite traumatised as it goes
Spectacle over story changed a long time ago in GOT.
It has gotten too big so no surprise really.
Gone are the days when Tyrion was looking for the god of tits and wine (no insult meant to any that go in search if both)(could not find a smiley for the first one)
They said it would not end as people expected

• Thanks
Reactions: vexred
I feel like if they'd given themselves an extra 2 episodes then they wouldn't have had to sacrifice story telling for spectacle like @DrH said.

the cinematography in this episode was really impressive. The scenes with Arya walking/running through the city were spot on. Also did anyone else laugh their arse of when the Mountain just tosses Cersei's hand against the wall and his head just explodes. That was great.

• Thanks
  • Haha
Reactions: tridon and Noodles
This is pretty much how I feel to be honest... thoroughly entertained, but not entirely satisfied. They've drastically changed the pace this season and seem to be putting action before story, whereas GoT has always been about story -- good character development with plenty of twists and turns that have genuine shock value. I get that they want to go out with a bang, but they didn't need to take it so literal... there are a lot of really epic scenes, but they're all crammed into one, which leaves us no time to truly appreciate and digest it all.

I mean... remember how awesome and memorable the Hound vs Brienne fight was? After that episode I couldn't wait to see him go up against The Mountain, but it was thrown into the latest episode amongst all the other action that was going on, so it was kind of overshadowed IMO. Same goes for their deaths... I didn't even feel sad about The Hound dying, nor anyone's this season in fact.

Also, I genuinely found myself sympathising more with Cersei than Dany, who up til now has been my favourite character, so it feels like it's all been a bit of a waste. I get that she's been through a lot of s*** lately and is understandably in a pretty unforgiving mood, but damn... girl's gone mad lol. I guess that's the point though, and it's something I wasn't expecting, which GoT has always delivered on to be fair. Cersei's end was very anticlimactic too... she wasn't even given a chance, which sucked! I think we all expected her to be able to put up more of fight, since that's what it's been leading to this whole time. :rolleyes:

So, yeah... I'm 50/50 overall. It's been a very enjoyable season if nothing else, but I'm now getting the impression we're not all going to get the sort of ending we want, nor deserve.

i recommend watching it again.. i did and appreciated it (even) more..

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
i recommend watching it again.. i did and appreciated it (even) more..
I actually plan to rewatch the entire season again once it's finally over, because I have genuinely found it to be really entertaining! I had no real issues with it until now though... we've one episode left and I feel there's still a fair bit to be covered, so I can only assume they're going to do another rush job and cram everything in. I honestly wish they'd spread this out over 2 seasons... it would've been a lot more satisfying watching it all play out at the usual pace IMO.

I feel like if they'd given themselves an extra 2 episodes then they wouldn't have had to sacrifice story telling for spectacle like @DrH said.

the cinematography in this episode was really impressive. The scenes with Arya walking/running through the city were spot on. Also did anyone else laugh their arse of when the Mountain just tosses Cersei's hand against the wall and his head just explodes. That was great.
A few more episodes definitely would've helped! I agree with you about the cinematography too -- loved this shot in particular...

arya.jpg

Haha and yes, that was definitely a "LOL" moment :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and vexred
Yeah disappointed they've gone with the whole mad queen angle, we've spent 7 years supporting this character and given very few reasons not to but they've thrown those 7 years away in the space of 2 episodes and for what reason? Because her bestie got her head chopped off? Even when she did snap the carnage goes and continues for like 40 minutes surely at some point during that time she'd of thought to herself enough is enough?

Still loved the episode though and like last week was literally on the edge of my seat throughout. They always said the end of GOT wouldn't please everyone so I guess we shouldn't be that surprised

@Noodles was it you that said you thought Tyrion would end up on the thrown? Can totally see that happening, Jon won't want it and Arya will see to it that Daenerys won't be around to sit on it either. Those are my predictions for next week and as long as Jon, Arya and Sansa survive I'll be content with how the show has ended

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Noodles
Yeah disappointed they've gone with the whole mad queen angle, we've spent 7 years supporting this character and given very few reasons not to but they've thrown those 7 years away in the space of 2 episodes and for what reason? Because her bestie got her head chopped off? Even when she did snap the carnage goes and continues for like 40 minutes surely at some point during that time she'd of thought to herself enough is enough?

Still loved the episode though and like last week was literally on the edge of my seat throughout. They always said the end of GOT wouldn't please everyone so I guess we shouldn't be that surprised

@Noodles was it you that said you thought Tyrion would end up on the thrown? Can totally see that happening, Jon won't want it and Arya will see to it that Daenerys won't be around to sit on it either. Those are my predictions for next week and as long as Jon, Arya and Sansa survive I'll be content with how the show has ended
That's exactly how I felt to be honest. But like you said... it's certainly been a very exciting and intense season!

It was mate, and I still stand by my prediction, especially after the latest episode... I feel Tyrion is the only one who is genuinely liked by all sides and wouldn't cause any major upset if he were to claim the throne. Personally, I also think it'd be a sweet and unexpected (a part of me still doubts it'll actually happen) outcome. I'm not certain all the remaining Starks will survive though. :ohno:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I'm not so sure about that, he's on his final warning with Daenerys. One more fuc.k up and he's TOAST!
I don't think anyone's in Dany's good books now to be fair... nor is she in theirs lol. Plus, I fully expect her to :dead: before anyone decides who actually gets the throne.

Really disappointed with this season, you notice the fact they don't have the books to guide them even more so in this season. Also we really should have had either more episodes or another season as everything just seems so rushed, 1 season dealing with the Night King and another season dealing with Kings Landing would have been much better and felt a lot less rushed

• Thanks
Reactions: DrH and Noodles
Really disappointed with this season, you notice the fact they don't have the books to guide them even more so in this season. Also we really should have had either more episodes or another season as everything just seems so rushed, 1 season dealing with the Night King and another season dealing with Kings Landing would have been much better and felt a lot less rushed

Totally agree with you!

• Thanks
Reactions: Tacozilla
100% agree.

• Thanks
Reactions: Tacozilla
I'm not so sure about that, he's on his final warning with Daenerys. One more fuc.k up and he's TOAST!
His last warning was before he freed Jaime. He should be toast beginning of next ep

I'm good with everything that has happened so far, minus a few small things.
- The Dothraki riding in the battle like lambs to the slaughter.
- Dany losing her dragon so easily by not scouting out the area.
- Bronn being so out of character when talking to Jaime and Tyrion.

And of course, agree with everyone that this and the last season have been very rushed.

• Thanks
Reactions: harry