General Poster Discussion & last purchased

Apr 2, 2009
General Poster Talk and Share your Latest Purchases!

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually leave for two or three days while flattening, as it seems to take a while for this process to be permanent.
That being said, I have been impatient and gone ahead with a framing with a slight curve and it seemed to work out fine. Though in that instant the frame was also taped to a mount.

I think it is as "flat" as it is going to get, it seems to still be curving upward at the ends but not folding

Quick question, how much does it typically cost you guys to frame the posters?

I have done custom framing for art from Michael's so was used to that but was shocked by the prices they want for the posters (24x36). I'm thinking of trying out my own custom job, any suggestions.

Should I just buy a Michael's poster frame, see if they will sell me the cut matting I want and DIY. They were quoting me like 300 for a custom poster and this was after a 60% + additional 20% coupon

Couple hundred I would assume for custom framers like fast frames. Acid free backing. Double mat, quality frame material.

Quick question, how much does it typically cost you guys to frame the posters?

I have done custom framing for art from Michael's so was used to that but was shocked by the prices they want for the posters (24x36). I'm thinking of trying out my own custom job, any suggestions.

Should I just buy a Michael's poster frame, see if they will sell me the cut matting I want and DIY. They were quoting me like 300 for a custom poster and this was after a 60% + additional 20% coupon

I go to hobby lobby and take advantage of their non-custom stuff when its on sale. For instance, you can get a frame just like this:

IMG_20130427_131920.jpg

For about $25. Then all you need to do is buy an acid free backer, a different caliber glass if you so desire, maybe a matt or some spacers and you're done. You can use their 40% off coupon on the glass or spacers or matt board.

Of course you need some of the hardware/tools to put it all together too. Like a point driver, double sided tape, kraft paper, hanging tools..

Reactions: justboy and mllNY
SO Close yet so far, am in San Antonio for a business conference. no car and no transportation. If only I could have gone :(

I'm thinning out my poster collection as need to raise a few extra £££ for my wedding. Check out my thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
If they're originals get them done professionally IMO as the posters are worth a few £££

I mostly stick to the steelbook area of HDN but im looking get a few framed posters of my favourite films and tv shows. Im probably not wanting to spend more than £40-50 per poster/frame etc and looking at getting a Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings poster to start with. The framing 'lingo' is going over my head though, such as art.co.uk has Art Print and Premium Giclee Print and I dont know the difference? There are options to have the poster laminated or not, is the difference worth it? And then wood mounting or framing or do you need both? Can anyone help.

I mostly stick to the steelbook area of HDN but im looking get a few framed posters of my favourite films and tv shows. Im probably not wanting to spend more than £40-50 per poster/frame etc and looking at getting a Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings poster to start with. The framing 'lingo' is going over my head though, such as art.co.uk has Art Print and Premium Giclee Print and I dont know the difference? There are options to have the poster laminated or not, is the difference worth it? And then wood mounting or framing or do you need both? Can anyone help.

I've not heard of prints being laminated before, but I think it would be seen as a big no no if it is done to a limited run of any worth.
A mount is the coloured border (though is often white) that stops a print sticking to the glass. Having one if these makes the whole frame look nicer, but costs more as the frame needs to be bigger to accommodate it.

Obviously the less material used will result in a cheaper frame, but getting a custom one generally increases the cost. Ive used ezeframe.co.uk before. they let you change every aspect of the frame size, colour and material which lets you see how the costs change.

A giclee is basically a fancy term for a high quality ink jet printer, which means the image was printed by a machine rather than by hand.

Question would it be ok to "stack" posters in a frame? Like just to store and flatten for a while. I have a few extra in tubes since I moved that I have no room to flatten unless I double up some of my frames.Would this be ok?

I've heard of prints "transferring" when pressed together for extended amounts of time. I see no reason you couldn't double up, back to back, with a piece of acid free between the frame's backing and the print.

Reactions: Xavier
I keep tweeting Mondo to see if they will be at NYCC, no replies gonna have to annoy them at SDCC and anyone at MondoCon ask them there too. make them want to go!

Just placed an order for the Children of Men print Mondo has up on their site.

Naturally out of the last batch they put up, only The Goonies posters have sold out. They still have CoM, This Island Earth, Predator and Das Boot.