Godzilla: Minus One (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Deluxe Edition) (Amazon Exclusive) [Japan]

Release date: May 1, 2024
Purchase link: Amazon JP
Price: ¥15,100
Notes: Digipack release that also Includes Empty SteelBook

IMG_7015.jpeg

SteelBook
IMG_7014.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally watched this last night. I really enjoyed it as a whole BUT it’s not as perfect as it’s being made out to be! Hated the way Godzilla walked on land. Just didn’t look right. The odd dodgy CGI here and there. And just not enough of the big guy tbh. But also some really cool moments too with it’s powers and the destruction.

One thing did not make sense. How the f**k does it throw stuff with those stupid thin and small arms? Lol. Tail probably does most the work but the arms are part the reason I didn’t like the way it looked walking on land. Other shots were fine, and close ups. And was fine when he gets a bit fast at times with his reflexes. just annoyed me when he was in motion.

Finally watched this last night. I really enjoyed it as a whole BUT it’s not as perfect as it’s being made out to be! Hated the way Godzilla walked on land. Just didn’t look right. The odd dodgy CGI here and there. And just not enough of the big guy tbh. But also some really cool moments too with it’s powers and the destruction.

One thing did not make sense. How the f**k does it throw stuff with those stupid thin and small arms? Lol. Tail probably does most the work but the arms are part the reason I didn’t like the way it looked walking on land. Other shots were fine, and close ups. And was fine when he gets a bit fast at times with his reflexes. just annoyed me when he was in motion.
The Director wanted to mimic and pay homage to the old sixties Godzilla design with it's movement but with a total modern makeover and up-to-date CGI and FX. That's why it walks a little like a doll or claymation puppet.
He also said that it was to show how this Godzilla was a separate creature to the Hollywood Godzilla, more traditional Japanese in its design and style.
Personally I liked the way he walked. Like an immovable object with insanely incredible weight.

The Director wanted to mimic and pay homage to the old sixties Godzilla design with it's movement but with a total modern makeover and up-to-date CGI and FX. That's why it walks a little like a doll.

That’s so stupid
He also said that it was to show how this Godzilla was a separate creature to the Hollywood Godzilla, more traditional Japanese in its design and style.
Personally I liked the way he walked. Like a immovable object with incredible weight.
But we know it’s separate to the Hollywood version. Such a poor excuse or comment for the director to make

I liked his design. He defo felt more traditional in that sense and it’s fine. But he walked so stupidly on land it takes you out the film and looks like that f**king shin Godzilla which is the funniest Godzilla I’ve seen. Can not take that one seriously so the second this one started walking like that it angered me. It was doing so well for me before he hit land and looked like that

Good thing about this Godzilla is he’s heavily mutated. I did like that

That’s so stupid

But we know it’s separate to the Hollywood version. Such a poor excuse or comment for the director to make

I liked his design. He defo felt more traditional in that sense and it’s fine. But he walked so stupidly on land it takes you out the film and looks like that f**king shin Godzilla which is the funniest Godzilla I’ve seen. Can not take that one seriously so the second this one started walking like that it angered me. It was doing so well for me before he hit land and looked like that

That's how the traditional Japanese Godzilla has always been. Wonky walk. It'd be weirder not to animate it a little bit like the old way.
Shin Godzilla is crap, which is why I guess it was changed up somewhat after that, although Shin was a decent hit in Japan it barely registered anywhere else, so now they've gone half Japanese design and half international design.
It's a good compromise I think. You have to remember it's for the Japanese audience first and foremost, then the rest of the world.
I like his shambling, fat arse walk. Makes me think he just doesn't give a f**K about anything. Hippy Godzilla ate too many edibles.

That's how the traditional Japanese Godzilla has always been. Wonky walk.

And that’s why it never works. How the f**k have they not realised this
It'd be weirder not to animate it a little bit like the old way.
Shin Godzilla is crap, which is why I guess it was changed up somewhat after that, although Shin was a decent hit in Japan it barely registered anywhere else, so now they've gone half Japanese design and half international design.
It's a good compromise I think. You have to remember it's for the Japanese audience first and foremost, then the rest of the world.
I love how if this was a western film and that comment was made it would be under fire. F**k that. It’s for the world. They can give that Oscar back then LOL
I like his shambling, fat arse walk. Makes me think he just doesn't give a f**K about anything. Hippy Godzilla ate too many edibles.

That’s so stupid

We know it's separate to the US Godzilla movies.... But Joe Public doesn't. Joe Public is f*cking dumb :rofl:

In all seriousness though, some of the regular, popcorn munching, movie goers are easily confused by similar sounding titles, even similar looking fonts on movie posters... I believe (I read) that one of the agreements between Legendary Pictures and Studio Toho was that their 2 movies had some distance between themselves with their physical releases - literally so the public didn't confuse the two productions.

Strange but true.

Personally I liked the lumbering way Godzilla moved, like a steam roller, gave him some heft. I forgive the odd dodgy effect too as the movie only cost about ten million dollars - which is frankly staggering.

We know it's separate to the US Godzilla movies.... But Joe Public doesn't. Joe Public is f*cking dumb :rofl:
Usually I’d agree with you but this is literally in Japanese throughout except one news bulletin. People would not mistake this for the Hollywood version
In all seriousness though, some of the regular, popcorn munching, movie goers are easily confused by similar sounding titles, even similar looking fonts on movie posters... I believe (I read) that one of the agreements between Legendary Pictures and Studio Toho was that their 2 movies had some distance between themselves with their physical releases - literally so the public didn't confuse the two productions.

Strange but true.
Yeah this is why I’ve said we probably won’t get a proper subbed version until 2025. But also I kinda get those agreements because it’s literally 2 Godzilla films at the same time. You’d want to space out the releases
Personally I liked the lumbering way Godzilla moved, like a steam roller, gave him some heft. I forgive the odd dodgy effect too as the movie only cost about ten million dollars - which is frankly staggering.
Oh it looked incredible. And I loved Zillas look. But those shots from afar when he’s walking like a small armed spastic were so stupid. There’s about 4 or 5 shots in total where they do this and it takes you out the film because the rest of the film isn’t like this.

I did love how he’s more of a mutation in this. And that part when his face regenerates was f**king awesome. The way his spikes clonk back in to activate the atomic breathe was insanely good too.

The film just got a little dead air in the middle when you don’t see Zilla for about 30 mins. That kinda annoyed me but overall a strong entertaining film that looked awesome

Strange but true.

This reminds me of being a boy in Blockbuster Video in the 90s and wanting to see "The Hard Way (1991)" with Michael J Fox as I thought it was somehow related to BTTF 2... when Biffs thugs (Billy Zane & co) knock him out there's a voiced over black screen shot that proclaims "the easy way"...

Match : [grabbing Marty] Sonny, we can do this the easy way or the hard way!

[3-D hits Marty over the head]

Miscellaneous voice : The easy way

A little more convoluted than someone mixing up Godzilla Minus One with the popcorn pish Godzilla versions admittedly... that's just pure ignorance imo... but I guess everyone isn't that into movies as people on this forum too.

I never did figure out whether that was sublime marketing for "The Hard Way" or just pure coincidence
benedict cumberbatch sherlock GIF by BBC

Last edited:
Just compare this Godzilla over that running, pink, fairy Gazzzzilla in the lats Godzilla X Kong...
Not seen the new one but you can’t deny Godzilla’s movement in vs Kong isn’t awesome. When he runs at him like a fighting lizard looks so f**king good.

So the Illuminous blue spikes are fine in this but not the illuminous purple spikes in the other? Lol, make that make sense

A running Godzilla is much scarier than a walking one. Plus where has this hate for the look of the Hollywood Godzilla come from? Now all of a sudden people don’t like it? When it first came out it was praised for its bear like beast ness and look.

Not seen the new one but you can’t deny Godzilla’s movement in vs Kong isn’t awesome. When he runs at him like a fighting lizard looks so f**king good.

So the Illuminous blue spikes are fine in this but not the illuminous purple spikes in the other? Lol, make that make sense

A running Godzilla is much scarier than a walking one. Plus where has this hate for the look of the Hollywood Godzilla come from? Now all of a sudden people don’t like it? When it first came out it was praised for its bear like beast ness and look.
the purple punkrock mohawk zilla isnt the same as the 2014 godzilla to me (i dont mind the new look tho)

Reactions: Granada
the purple punkrock mohawk zilla isnt the same as the 2014 godzilla to me (i dont mind the new look tho)
Well I’m pretty sure it is. Just like this Godzilla he/ she mutates and gets more powerful over time. Just like this one did