Guardians of the Galaxy - Steelbook feedback for Disney

Would you be happy with the GOTG steelbook as currently designed?

• Yes

Votes: 126 23.6%
  • NO! Please give us an alternative design Disney & Marvel!

Votes: 407 76.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Attention members!

Please provide us with your feedback, alternate designs and definitely vote in the poll!

I will pass along this thread, along with your constructive feedback about how to improve upon the design that we've already been shown.

As we know, it is up to the studio to provide the final choice of artwork & design, but if this response if OVERWHELMING, we may have a shot to be heard.

Thanks in advance, as always for being members of HDN!

EDIT - To clarify, if our feedback is too late for this run, please keep in mind that this thread CAN be used for a variant steelbook release that could happen in the future! Keep those suggestions coming!

Last edited:
It's not that I dislike the artwork, per se. I can always, you know.... NOT buy the steelbook, however, I love this movie and as others have stated, I already have all the other steelbooks for Phase 2 or whatever it's being called.

The artwork is original, yes, but I don't think it'd work for this movie. There are SO many other options to choose from that make it almost impossible to accept this. I would love to get another artwork from Disney but if it doesn't happen, I won't sweat it. I will stick to the regular 3D release that has a killer artwork, at least for now.

Sods law that when they have the opportunity to use already awesome vibrant colourful artwork they choose for once to do something different.
Unfortunately for a vast majority of Marvel steelbook collectors that was a bad decision. Sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the other Marvel steels.
But I don't want to deprive the YES tribe of this steelbook. Disney should produce alternate artwork steelbook :oohyeah:

Reactions: frankfish44
Anything with one of the posters as the art for the steel is fine with me. My design I made some time ago

Dc0KWv.png

Awesome, so much better! I want this one!

Reactions: Tacozilla
Has anyone got a photo of all the Marvel Release spines next to each other ?

I'm not at home at the moment so can't put one together, but would be interesting to see just how this spine would fit in

I hated the artwork. Respect and kudos for trying something different but I feel it's a little dull and boring.
The poster art made for a more appropriate cover.
But what about this as an alternative...........

Disney made a TON of money from this movie. Fans/ collectors of their product aren't happy. But then some are.
Its probably too late to change the artwork now so....

Create a limited run of an alternative steelbook design, voted for by HDN voters and offer it FREE (or minimum charge) for anyone who doesn't like the current artwork. No discs needed, just an empty steelbook.

Your welcome.:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

Has anyone got a photo of all the Marvel Release spines next to each other ?

I'm not at home at the moment so can't put one together, but would be interesting to see just how this spine would fit in

I just so happened to have a picture of the disney marvel released steelbooks stored on my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 164
I just so happened to have a picture of the disney marvel released steelbooks stored on my phone.

Cheers. Shows there has not really been any thought to consistancy so far, so adding another that is totally different won't really make much of a difference.

Will be good to see it in the line up though to see just how much/little it jumps out.

And as for sending a friend/child/granny to go and pick it off the shelf - just ask them to grab the steelbook with the stereo buttons on the spine :D

Reactions: Kashby and smileyx9
I wish I could elaborate why the steelbook works for me but it doesn't seem anyone really wants a civil discussion about it. So why waste the effort? I would never create a thread just to crap on a steelbook release though or even praise it.

Reactions: mumbles
The current design is horrible.
However, as I'm not a designer, I don't have an alternate design to provide for reconsideration.

6. Unless the walkman is the most important thing in the whole film I don't see why it deserves to dominate the steelbook.

I would argue that it is in fact one of the most important items in the film. It anchors Peter as a character and its relative to the loss of his Mother (this is the very first scene so honestly its not a spoiler) . I also think it sets tone for the kind of swagger and goofyness he maintains in the futuristic setting, keeping him linked to Earth and his own sense of nostalgia and alienation that allows him play rogue. I would argue him opening up to the possibility of cennecting with people is the real crux of the film and saving the Galaxy is simply the razzle dazzle means of getting the real celebration across - I've made some friends at last!

This is really why I'm happy with the design even if it is a bit bland

I still think if Disney are going to go ahead with the tape design they need to fix it so at least the walkman looks similar to Quill's and make the cassette tape actually look like his

Inside Art - would be nice to see either the Line Up or a nice shot of the Milano

PiuSLq.jpg

Updated my Design using the standard template most releases use

1T56AY.png

Disney, the current artwork is a cool concept that didn't work well in the execution. If you can't do the exact Sony Walkman like in the movie because of licensing reasons don't do a walkman design at all. Do the original movie poster. I think the rear artwork would be awesome with the villain, Ronan, on the back or possibly just the Awesome Mix tape with no walkman.

Status
Not open for further replies.