Hidefninja new SteelBook™ Collector Lounge

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
*For retailer-specific chat, please visit the new Retailer Steelbook Zone here

Welcome all Steelbook newcomers from around the world!

For more Steelbook lists, pictures, and resources visit:

This is a thread for those new to the hobby or those with general questions about collecting Steelbooks, including retailer-specific questions.

To keep things organized, please keep all trading talk in the Trading forum, and search for specific Steelbooks for more specific title-specific questions.

I am sure our seasoned members are happy to provide assistance, so please don't be afraid to ask-we all started this addiction somewhere. Regardless if your collection is small or large, someone here can probably help.

Have fun!:D
DB

Steelbook & Collecting FAQ's:

Q: Where can I find a list of Steelbooks released?

A: blu-raysteelbooks.com

Q: Can I play movies contained inside Steelbooks on my Blu-Ray Player?

A: It depends-Blu-Rays are coded with Region A, B or C. Most Blu-Rays are "unlocked", regardless of what region they are, but it's always a good idea to check this forum or web resources before buying, as some are "locked".

Q: What are the differences between Steelbooks™, Iron Packs™, Metal Paks™, Viva Metal Boxes, Tins, etc?

A: Check out pics and discussion in our forum here

Q: What does "G1" and "G2" mean when discussing Steelbooks?

A: "G1" (1st Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a DVD-sized case. And "G2" (2nd Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a Blu-Ray-sized case.

Q: How to fix a loose disc on a steelbook you want to keep factory sealed that came with a floater?

A: Fixing a loose disc

Q: How do I navigate international shopping sites?

A: You can download a free 'add on' for most browsers called 'Google Translate'. Once you have it installed, the pages will translate automatically.

Q: I have many more questions-is there a general list of links to help me learn about Steelbooks, protecting them, etc?

A: Yes, here

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh... Sorry to bust out other's Theories of Sold Out or Hard to Find

In Hong Kong ... There are still a Lot of these (and yes - it comes with a booklet)

As you can see - it is still available (despite Dark Knight is Released)

And the funny thing was if converted in US currency - its pretty cheap at $25 (brick and mortar offer when I was there)

HMV Hong Kong - Actual On The Spot Availability

xage_hkDK_zps50525249.jpg

This is fun - similar to another theory busting thing I did before in Canada: The Town Still Available

Last edited:
Reactions: ocielz
No disrespect to your theory busting but how many copies of Prometheus HK did you see when you were there. Just the one?

There may be one or two shops that have it. No doubt about that. Even eBay has a few copies.

I live in HK. Haven't seen a copy in the shops that I visit for quite a while now. And I go window shopping at these shops at least once a week. I don't go to every shop. That would be stupid. So there may well be a shop or two that have a copy.

Reactions: blu-steel
As you can see - it is still available (despite Dark Knight is Released)

And the funny thing was if converted in US currency - its pretty cheap at $25 (brick and mortar offer when I was there)

Then I trust you did the smart thing and bought them to trade or sell on eBay? Cos they're worth quite a lot more than $25 there. ;)

I visited Hong Kong - Saw 4 shops that carries and as you can see the picture says so (as an added bonus right just beside the Dark Knight Exclusives)

The xage doesnt care about ebay it is not my central hub source of availability - all I know, I saw and shared -There are copies in Hong Kong and its not sold out

No disrespect to your theory busting but how many copies of Prometheus HK did you see when you were there. Just the one?

There may be one or two shops that have it. No doubt about that. Even eBay has a few copies.

I live in HK. Haven't seen a copy in the shops that I visit for quite a while now. And I go window shopping at these shops at least once a week. I don't go to every shop. That would be stupid. So there may well be a shop or two that have a copy.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Then I trust you did the smart thing and bought them to trade or sell on eBay? Cos they're worth quite a lot more than $25 there. ;)

No its not smart to do that dude - Thats taking advantage.

I am financially secured with my stuff. All I am saying, it is not scarce, it is still available and the photo image is the proof (contrary to previous posts saying its scarce - Which is NOT)

Last edited:
I visited Hong Kong - Saw 4 shops that carries and as you can see the picture says so (as an added bonus right just beside the Dark Knight Exclusives)

The xage doesnt care about ebay it is not my central hub source of availability - all I know, I saw and shared -There are copies in Hong Kong and its not sold out

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

No its not smart to do that dude - Thats taking advantage.

I am financially secured with my stuff. All I am saying, it is not scarce, it is still available and the photo image is the proof (contrary to previous posts saying its scarce - Which is NOT)
it can't be $25
it is impossible
I am from Hong Kong too
the average price for steelbook is about $250 HKD here
which is about $32 USD
I think this one should be about $500+HKD in the shop now
many of the collectors in HK are willing to pay $400HKD for one
if this one is selling at $25, why didn't they buy it directly from the shop
you must make some mistakes
****1USD~7.8HKD

Impossible? I highly doubt - the last discussions here are saying that this steelbook is "Sold Out" - Hey guess what - look at the pic it is still available in Hong Kong (despite the release of Dark Knight rises)

Tell that to the stores there - its being sold (at a sale price I guess) for about $200HKD and they have a lot in stock.

it can't be $25
it is impossible
I am from Hong Kong too
the average price for steelbook is about $250 HKD here
which is about $32 USD
I think this one should be about $500+HKD in the shop now
many of the collectors in HK are willing to pay $400HKD for one
if this one is selling at $25, why didn't they buy it directly from the shop
you must make some mistakes
****1USD~7.8HKD

Last edited:
Impossible? I highly doubt - the last discussions here are saying that this steelbook is "Sold Out" - Hey guess what - look at the pic it is still available in Hong Kong (despite the release of Dark Knight rises)

Tell that to the stores there - its being sold (at a sale price I guess) for about $200HKD and they have a lot in stock.
dude, if you are right, it makes no sense that two people from Hong Kong arguing with you, right?
Make sure you know what is the real conversion rate
For $200 HKD, you can't even buy a newly released Amaray version of a 3D movie in here:hilarious:

Last edited:
if you are right, it makes no sense that two people from Hong Kong arguing with you

Make sure you know what is the real conversion rate

What make sense are:

- that there are still Prometheus Steelbook sold in Hong Kong
- you are in denial with the cost that I encountered when I'm there
- And being a visitor there - wow I have proof that it is still sold and available there

For $200 HKD, you can't even buy a newly released Amaray version of a 3D movie in here:hilarious:

And you are correcting the Xage? seriously?? - Dude I don't lie nor make things up - its funny how you conclude things but have NO Proof

sadako_zpsa77b554f.jpg

Oh Wait.. this is a blu-ray 3d and its only $168.00 HKD - Are you telling me that you cannot find sale price like I do? WOW..

Its Bad making allegations and telling others of wrong things

Bottomline - I know what I got and I bring proof about it

:scat::scat::scat::scat:

Last edited:
Reactions: ocielz
Maybe I am wrong for that 3D Amaray version comment
But I can guarantee that a steelbook can't be selling at $25 USD
it's a joke
1USD is equal to $7.8 HKD
Have you asked them the price actually?

I speak multiple language and cantonese is one of them - Yes I asked the price.

The cheapest Prometheus Steelbook 3d is at Sham Shui Po area

it's a joke

Its not possible to get a factory sealed brand new mint steelbook for less than 280HKD in HK. No way. Can you remember where in Sham Shui Po? Cause every HK steelbook collector will be rushing down there as fast as possible.

If I remember the cheapest I saw Prometheus when it first came out was 368HKD. Might have been cheaper in some other shops but it most definitely won't be below 300HKD. Now that it's long OOP it can only sell for higher price.

A steelbook selling for 200HKD (25USD) is either opened, dented, scratched, resealed. In other words second hand. Although to be honest I'm not sure you could buy any steelbook in a good condition for that price either. Sino Centre sell second hand stuff that's more than new price!

Apologies Xage. I'm not trying to argue with you. You saw some copies of Prometheus. Great! I'll see if I can buy the copy at the shop in your photo as I know where it is. A HDN member wanted a copy.

Peace Xage. And have a happy new year!

it's a joke

Last edited:
Hi. I have a quick question I hope somebody can help with....

Can anyone tell me how reliable Taiwan/Korean/Hong Kong movie releases are for being UNCUT??

I am currently interested in some of these countries 3D Steelbooks (eg: Amazing Spiderman, Resident Evil Retribution, Total Recall...) but will stick with UK and U.S. releases if these countries cut their movies for whatever reasons.

I hate owning censored version of films.

Also, did the Asian version of Total Recall (2012) have the English audio problem that the European release had??

Cheers guys ;)

This may be a more appropriate thread for this post and if so I'm sure that Staff/Mods will move this. :) Just wanted to bring other members attention to a scam involving Amazon.co.uk which I saw on The One Show a BBC magazine TV programme the other day. It is reported in full
here. An extract is shown below, "Chris" is the unlucky victim who was buying a GBP990 television.

A key element of any fraud is the ability of the criminal to gain the victim’s trust, in this case achieved by forming an association with a trusted and respected brand. Chris was confident with using Amazon – and the mechanism was the authentic-looking website or, more accurately, the actual website. This is how it was achieved:

The fraudster created a webstore on Amazon. This is a perfectly legitimate activity and the vast majority of webstores on Amazon are in fact, legitimate. You can find instructions on how to set one up on Amazon’s website, or on YouTube.
At the same time, however, the fraudster created a website and registered the domain name www .a-z-amazon.co.uk (link broken) When this page that you are reading was written (1st March 2013), the website is still live and accessible by anybody. The smart part is that the fraudster (or fraudsters) then embedded the actual live Amazon pages in their own site using what is known as an ‘iFrame’.
Chris was then emailed using the same domain name, which is very close to Amazon’s own name, requesting that he order and enter his payment details on another form – allegedly Amazon’s A-Z Services but actually then emailed to a bogus payment site. Because of the trust in the Amazon brand, Chris had no hesitation in doing so. After all, the request had come from Amazon … hadn’t it? The form in question was created in JotForm, a simple, online form building program accessible to anybody.

The fraud did not occur when the website went up or even when Chris tried to pay via the website, but when the scammer emailed him to redirect him to the fake payment site, exploiting the familiarity Chris had already gained with the a-z-amazon name from the site.

Hope this is of use,

Last edited: