Hidefninja new SteelBook™ Collector Lounge

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
*For retailer-specific chat, please visit the new Retailer Steelbook Zone here

Welcome all Steelbook newcomers from around the world!

For more Steelbook lists, pictures, and resources visit:

This is a thread for those new to the hobby or those with general questions about collecting Steelbooks, including retailer-specific questions.

To keep things organized, please keep all trading talk in the Trading forum, and search for specific Steelbooks for more specific title-specific questions.

I am sure our seasoned members are happy to provide assistance, so please don't be afraid to ask-we all started this addiction somewhere. Regardless if your collection is small or large, someone here can probably help.

Have fun!:D
DB

Steelbook & Collecting FAQ's:

Q: Where can I find a list of Steelbooks released?

A: blu-raysteelbooks.com

Q: Can I play movies contained inside Steelbooks on my Blu-Ray Player?

A: It depends-Blu-Rays are coded with Region A, B or C. Most Blu-Rays are "unlocked", regardless of what region they are, but it's always a good idea to check this forum or web resources before buying, as some are "locked".

Q: What are the differences between Steelbooks™, Iron Packs™, Metal Paks™, Viva Metal Boxes, Tins, etc?

A: Check out pics and discussion in our forum here

Q: What does "G1" and "G2" mean when discussing Steelbooks?

A: "G1" (1st Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a DVD-sized case. And "G2" (2nd Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a Blu-Ray-sized case.

Q: How to fix a loose disc on a steelbook you want to keep factory sealed that came with a floater?

A: Fixing a loose disc

Q: How do I navigate international shopping sites?

A: You can download a free 'add on' for most browsers called 'Google Translate'. Once you have it installed, the pages will translate automatically.

Q: I have many more questions-is there a general list of links to help me learn about Steelbooks, protecting them, etc?

A: Yes, here

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no pros or cons really. I guess the reason why people prefer G2 is because they are Blu-ray sized. Other than that there is no real reason to prefer one over the other.

Can anybody elaborate on the pros and cons of a G1 vs G2? All of my cases are G2 (6 3/4" tall) but I can't usually tell which size is being auctioned off on eBay or Amazon by the photos/.

G1 is DVD size and G2 is blu-ray sized. Most people prefer G2 cases as it blends in with the rest of there collection. Its a personal preference thing really, most of the Blu-ray steelbooks released are G2 but there are a few G1's out there. If you are ever unsure you should check the forum, you will be sure to find out which it is on here.:)

I visited my local Best Buy yesterday and a store clerk told me that the Anderson (the company that stocks Best Buy stores in this area) representative mentioned an Avatar Steelbook that is expected later this year. Has anybody heard about this possibility?

In regard to people buying multiple copies of Steelbooks, I would think that any serious collector should have ordered their copy(s) early or scheduled themselves to be at the store when the Steelbook is released - so the only people hurt by "hoarders" are those who were procrastinators or those who started collecting after the release date. I just started collecting a few months ago, so adding "Iron Man" to my collection is difficult regardless of who I buy it from. I picked up three E.T. Steelbook from Target on the day they were released and all the stores (in my area) were sold out on that first day - but I got to the store when it opened so I wouldn't be disappointed.

I hate to start rumors, but a clerk at my local Best Buy told me yesterday that her Anderson (the company that stocks Best Buy shelves with movies) representative told her that Best Buy would be getting it's own version of an Avatar Steelbook later this year. It obviously hasn't been advertised yet, but she has been a pretty good source of information on Steelbooks for me during the three months that I have been a collector.

I hate to start rumors, but a clerk at my local Best Buy told me yesterday that her Anderson (the company that stocks Best Buy shelves with movies) representative told her that Best Buy would be getting it's own version of an Avatar Steelbook later this year. It obviously hasn't been advertised yet, but she has been a pretty good source of information on Steelbooks for me during the three months that I have been a collector.

Thats a surprise. It's looking good for the US when retailers such as Target & BB are starting to step up on SB's as of late. But in the end it's not going to prevent me from buying overseas especially after receiving Prometheus yesterday. Very nice SB...

hopefully it includes the extended edition.i'm really surprised that the two 3d releases in steelbook has the same exact video and audio transfer thats been out there for a couple of years.

I'd file a claim. How much did you pay for ST?

If I bid on any SB on Ebay, I always ask the seller how they plan to send the item. If I don't hear from them, I don't bid. That simple.

What really annoys me is when they charge more than the £2.25 they are allowed to for postage and then send it in a jiffy bag/cardboard box with no bubble wrap/protection. :angry:

It might be helpful for everyone here if we have a Ebay seller name and shame list as a sticky to prevent others going through this.

We have one such list here in the trading forum. If it cannot be accessed, it's because you need to have at least 30 posts. Or become a premium Ninja by subscribing to a premium membership :)

Reactions: SteelbookedUp
We have one such list here in the trading forum. If it cannot be accessed, it's because you need to have at least 30 posts. Or become a premium Ninja by subscribing to a premium membership :)

Seen that thread before. It's more a bad traders on here (seems to be one person in particular) rather than Ebay sellers.

I do appreciate there is discussion about Ebay experiences, but not a definitive Ebay sellers list.

A lot of us do turn to Ebay for the rarer steelies, so like I said, a sticky on the SB forum would be useful.

That said there are a lot of good sellers on Ebay, but it's mainly collectors that state actual condition and how they send out SB's etc.

That's just my two cents worth. :)

Seen that thread before. It's more a bad traders on here (seems to be one person in particular) rather than Ebay sellers.

I do appreciate there is discussion about Ebay experiences, but not a definitive Ebay sellers list.

A lot of us do turn to Ebay for the rarer steelies, so like I said, a sticky on the SB forum would be useful.

That said there are a lot of good sellers on Ebay, but it's mainly collectors that state actual condition and how they send out SB's etc.

That's just my two cents worth. :)

The bad traders list is also for eBay sellers as well as forum trading. If we were to have a second thread on here people might miss out when an individual thread is updated. If its always in one place it allows everybody to keep track of what's happening without having to visit two different sections.

Last edited:
I don't really think there should be a thread for naming and shaming eBay sellers. Not every seller understands Steelbooks. Sometimes it's possible to make a mistake too and it would be unfair to have eBay sellers listed in a thread because one person had a bad experience with them. I have sold plenty of Steelbooks in the past and one time I asked a family member to post a Steelbook for me. The Steelbook arrived damaged and it was a direct result of me not doing something myself and relying on someone else who didn't realise the fragile nature of Steelbooks. It was a mistake and I quickly refunded the buyer. I would hate to think that my reputation as a Steelbook collector/trader/seller would be forever tarnished if that person had decided to 'name and shame' me.

Reactions: Mocean
Hi all

I'm totally new here, so I don't know whether I'm doing right by posting this here.

I'm only into steelbook collection for about 3 months. I wonder if anyone here can help me buy steelbooks from futureshop Canada and MediaMarkt Germany and ship to me in Singapore on a regular basis. Of course I will pay a reasonable fee for his efforts.

Similarly, I can help any members here interested to secure steelbook issues here in Singapore. Hope to hear from anyone who can help.

Thanks!

Hello & welcome,

Once you reach 30 posts you can join group buys hosted by our awesome members. Though, searching for specific titles you will have barter or buy from willing members.

Reactions: Real Steel
Thanks. I understand group buys are for new releases.
I'm looking to buy some current and past releases that are still available on MediaMarkt and Futureshop. Hope to hear from someone who can assist.

Thanks!
PM sent.
Future Shop stores doesn't have a lot anymore (they got rid of all the old stuff) and only keep the new releases in stock...