HMV.co.jp - SteelBook Retailer Thread [Japan]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks.

images

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q) What is the link to HMV JP?
A) http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/

Q) I haven't mastered Japanese yet - how can I read the site?
A) Install Google translate on your browser:

Google Chrome HERE
Firefox HERE

Q) How do I register?
A) Click on 'New Customers' and follow the very easy on screen instructions!

Q) Do they ship outside of Japan?
A) Yes, worldwide Via EMS (tracked) mail - check HERE for countries they deliver to + prices

Q) What form of packing do they use?
A) Depends on quantity you order, see below:

1-2 steelbooks (standard)
(Thanks to Drum18 for pics)

attachment.php

View attachment 27618

3+ steelbooks
(Thanks to domalorite for pics)

View attachment 36821

View attachment 36822

View attachment 36823

Q) Selecting the 'Gift Wrapped Option', is it worth the extra cost?
A) As the pictures above shows, it's not perfect but an improvement to the jiffy bags.

Q) Is the retailer custom's friendly? (i.e will they mark as gift, or low value).
A) No. It's sometimes cheaper for EU residents if they have their items sent to a USA friend/ninja and then forwarded on to the EU address.

Q) Will the retailer charges upon order or upon shipment
A) You will be charged upon shipment

Q) What payment do they accept?
A) Credit Card only for international customers.

Q) Customer Services any good?
A) Yes, very quick and easy to deal with.

Cancellations: Log in >> My Account >> My Orders - follow on screen instructions

Replacements: Send an email via their website HERE, include your name, order number, name of item, catalog number and reason for return. Keep in mind that if the item is out of stock, discontinued, and is not available for exchange, your order will be cancelled and will be refunded.

Refunds: They are normally processed within a few days, same procedure as above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dominic
i only use hmv as a last resort or for exclusives due to their terrible packaging

The last time I ordered from HMV they were using those tough boxes with no bubble wrap. They were only half-way decent then but now I've seen so many people post about the plain-Jane mailers they been shipping there steelbooks in. It's very disappointing to hear that and makes me very weary about ordering from there now. I have to bite the bullet though because of my pre-order with them for 'Cabin in the Woods'. I sure hope it turns up OK. :ohno:

Hopefully by having this sub-forum and thread will allow for HMV to see the error of there judgement and go back to using a shipping material that is a little more rugged. I know it's because there moving there shipping center and all but that just goes to show that they should have better planned for the move. Anyhow I hope that HMV will read this thread and take note. ;)

I stopped using HMV. Their crap packaging is totally a joke. Those brown cardboard things. My last order were two Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows steelbooks. Both came damaged and one was totally crushed. A lack of good packaging here. Steelbook sold out very quick and became OOP.

Good thing was, I got quickly my refund plus the shipping costs were all refunded as well.

They always promise to send our feedback to their packaging department but nothing has changed since now.

Also the fact they are bassed on the Channel Islands is a risk of Customs (yes even in Europe, just like Play.com)

Since now I stopped using HMV and will ask some good friends here over the forums to help me instead. :)

Amazon.jp: positive.

Produces very nice steelbooks IMHO and the shrink wrap is of good quality.

Uses DHL for shipping so courier charge low.

One of the best customer service IMHO.

Amazon.jp: negative.

Very poor packaging.

Hit by customs guaranteed.

Very expensive steelbooks and high shipping cost.

Reactions: steelbook95060

Very poor packaging.

both amazon jp are positive and negative? :p

Very poor packaging.

this is the hmv retailer thread not the amazon.co.jp thread;)

If anyone has ever ordered from these and can advise how they package their steelbooks, that would be great. I've just emailed them to get confirmation of this.

Last edited:
Well I asked them how they package their steelbooks and got this reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have to inform you that we pack customers orders with our greatest care. We do package items with an envelop or box according to the size and weight. Please note that all orders we receive from our customers are processed automatically, and we are not able
to take individual requests regarding packing.

If a damaged, marked, or faulty item should be delivered to you please report the error within 7 days of delivery, to the HMV Customer Service Department.
We will replace the item with a new copy that is in good condition.
If an item in good condition cannot be found (because it is out of stock, deleted, etc.), we will cancel the item and give you refund.
If the damage is limited to standard cases and the case is not paper sleeve or special packaging,
we can send you another CD cases for replacement instead.

Your understanding would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

I posted some info about my purchase of Iron Sky from HMV-JP in the IronSky thread here https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showpost.php?p=503457&postcount=73.

I'll repost it here for people who haven't seen it.

This is a single item order with the added gift option. This is the packaging. Bubble mailer, and then a sturdy box, and then a bubble bag, and then paper wrapped.

My copy of Iron Sky arrived in undamaged condition.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ordering from HMV Japan

Hi guys,

I've just ordered the Underworld Awakening Blu Ray box set (with the giant Shuriken paperweight) and the AvP / Predator box set from HMV Japan via their affiliate website L-PACA. Has anyone used them before? They seem a bit cheaper (especially post & packing) than amazon.co.jp ...

best wishes,
Alex

Hi guys,

I've just ordered the Underworld Awakening Blu Ray box set (with the giant Shuriken paperweight) and the AvP / Predator box set from HMV Japan via their affiliate website L-PACA. Has anyone used them before? They seem a bit cheaper (especially post & packing) than amazon.co.jp ...

best wishes,
Alex

Do they ship in the U.S?