I need suggestions

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
...for a new amp. I think mine is about to hit the poop list so i'm taking suggestions. Lookin for lossless audio and at least 2 HDMI inputs. Can you set these newer amps up so all hdmi goes into it and one hdmi out to the TV? that would be the thing for me so i don't have to keep switching inputs on the TV. I was looking at the Onkyo 605 or 606 a while back and would love to get one but they run for 800 or so bucks here in canada. it's rediculous. would like to get something that bestbuy.ca or futureshop carries I guess. How are the Yamahas?

Good score.

ya, I'm pretty happy with it so far with the exception of 1 thing that really pissed me off. there is no input for combination component video and rca stereo audio which is what the Wii uses. I tried using the original cable which is just the 1 rca video with rca audio and it looks terrible. Therefor I am forced to run the Wii dirtectly to my TV and have to change the TV input instead of the receiver.

ya, I'm pretty happy with it so far with the exception of 1 thing that really pissed me off. there is no input for combination component video and rca stereo audio which is what the Wii uses. I tried using the original cable which is just the 1 rca video with rca audio and it looks terrible. Therefor I am forced to run the Wii dirtectly to my TV and have to change the TV input instead of the receiver.

Er.... does your amp allow independent input combinations.. i.e. the ability to have video set to component 1 and audio set to RCA 1 ???

My HK will let me combine any inputs between audio and video... i.e. I could be listening to a stereo RCA but my video on HDMI... likewise I could be watching through component cables but listening over HDMI, etc...

Just curious if you have to manually set it up rather than it just being already combined for you on the back of the amp.

EDIT:

I just took a gander at the back of your amp and it appears you should be able to connect the component video up, then run the stereo RCA plugs to the Audio 1, then in your receiver settings set up the Wii input to display component video and then use Audio 1 for Audio

Last edited:
Thanks for the research man. I never even considered that. I'm a bit oldschool so don't think of things like that haha. Gonna check the manual and see what the deal is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk