Japan SteelBooks™ Thread

SlimJim24

Team Emma
Premium Supporter
Feb 7, 2012
California
Being a Japanese steel enthusiast, I wanted to open the floor to everyone who wants to talk about anything Japanese steels.

Share pics (cause mine are terrible quality), ask questions, and maybe learn a thing or two. Heck I wouldn't even think there'd be a problem if you have any really cool slipcovers to

Maybe somebody will even start threads for other countries :)

Hope to hear from y'all soon!

Mike

Here is a list of Japan Steelbooks (both released and scheduled) courtesy of Slim via elsewhere
Released:

300: The Complete Experience
2001: A Space Odyssey (Amazon exclusive)
2012 (Amazon exclusive)
A-Team (Amazon exclusive)
Adjustment Bureau (G1/DVD-size) (Amazon exclusive)
Alien Anthology
Amadeus: Director's Cut
Amazing Spider-Man, The
Amazing Spider-Man, The (Boxset)
Apollo 13
Back to the Future (horizontal)
Back to the Future II (horizontal)
Back to the Future III (horizontal)
Batman Begins (Amazon exclusive)
Battleship
Blade
Blade II
Blade Runner (Final Cut) (Amazon exclusive)
Bourne Legacy, The
Bourne Trilogy, The
Bourne Collection, The Complete
Captain America: The First Avenger 3D (Amazon exclusive)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Clockwork Goddess (G1/DVD-size)
Dark Knight (Amazon exclusive)
Dark Knight Rises (Amazon exclusive)
Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya ([]Suzumiya Haruhi no Shōshitsu[/I]) (G1/DVD-size) (Amazon exclusive)
District 9
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (Amazon exclusive with booklet)
Evil Dead
Fast and the Furious, The
Fast and Furious 5 - confirmed released via wxlinkswd FS/FT thread. Have a look :)
Fight Club
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) (Amazon exclusive with photo booklet)
Goonies, The
Gran Torino (Amazon exclusive)
Le Grand Blue (The Big Blue) (Amazon exclusive)
Green Lantern - Extended Cut
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Amazon exclusive)
Immortals 3D
Inception (Amazon exclusive with memorabilia; city cover)
Inception (jumping cover)
Iron Man 2 (Amazon exclusive)
Iron Sky (Deluxe Edition with memorabilia)
Jaws
Knight and Day
Last Samurai, The
Lockout
Machete (box with memorabilia) (Amazon exclusive)
Matrix (Amazon exclusive)
Men in Black 3 3D
Michael Jackson's This Is It
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Paul
Police Story
Prometheus (limited to 2000)
Pulp Fiction
Resident Evil: Afterlife (Amazon exclusive)
Resident Evil: Retribution 3D
Safehouse
Salt (Amazon exclusive)
Seven (Amazon exclusive)
Shawshank Redemption (Amazon exclusive)
Sherlock Holmes (Amazon exclusive)
Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows
Skyfall
Snow White and the Huntsman
Star Wars: Original Trilogy
Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy
Sucker Punch
Taken 2
Terminator (Amazon exclusive)
Terminator 2 (Premium Edition) {silver case}
Terminator 2 (Premium Edition Ver.2.0) {black case}
The Thing (horizontal)
Thor (Amazon exclusive)
Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning
Total Recall
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Tsutaya exclusive)
Troy: Director's Cut
Underworld: Awakening 3D
Unstoppable
V for Vendetta
World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles
Wrath of the Titans

Future Releases (chronological then alphabetical)

June 21st, 2013
Jack Reacher

June 26th, 2013
Dredd

July 12th, 2013
Star Trek

July 19th, 2013
Hansel and Gretel (limited to 1000 copies)

See any errors? Wanna include additional info, PM me :)

Last edited:
Finally arrived!

image-26.jpg

And some JP steels displayed. Love them all!

image-27.jpg

LOL! We are still at it, arent we? Whether LGB came sealed....I have been on this topic for 6 months already.

I know a collector who has been at it since steelbooks began. He said he bought it directly from Amazon JP on day 1 of the release. It is not shrink-wrap sealed. But the polybag is very high quality (you know, just like JP cd cases seems a little thicker and solid). I also know a low-profile but serious collector (who practically have every grail steel) who also says it never came sealed. Alvin (blackberry) knows another long-time HK collector who also says it never came sealed.

I am not interested in a sealed copy being transacted on the secondary market, because as we know, LTBF was released unsealed, but sealed at the request of the HDN GB participants.

As I have requested a few months back, can any member who bought it directly from Amazon JP on release date and received a sealed copy please raise their hand? No one raised their hand then, will anyone do it now?

+1

I think LGB came with the same polybag like MIB3? I saw some member here who have MIB3 also received theirs in polybag instead of sealed shrink wrap, mine also came with that polybag as well.
I also have Narnia with booklet that came in the same polybag but the Narnia steel itself came with sealed shrink wrap, imo MIB3 didn't came with booklet so they didn't sealed it with shrink wrap and I noticed that MIB3 slip is different compare to other any JP release (it's like TW slip but not identical)

+1

I think LGB came with the same polybag like MIB3? I saw some member here who have MIB3 also received theirs in polybag instead of sealed shrink wrap, mine also came with that polybag as well.
I also have Narnia with booklet that came in the same polybag but the Narnia steel itself came with sealed shrink wrap, imo MIB3 didn't came with booklet so they didn't sealed it with shrink wrap and I noticed that MIB3 slip is different compare to other any JP release (it's like TW slip but not identical)

True :thumbs:. My MIB3 also came in a polybag and the slip is like that of the TW steels. But can anyone please explain the reason behind not shrink wrapping these steels?

Reactions: Elena
True :thumbs:. My MIB3 also came in a polybag and the slip is like that of the TW steels. But can anyone please explain the reason behind not shrink wrapping these steels?

Someone had contact the customer service (but I forgot who is it) and asked about why it's came polybagged instead of usual shrink wrap, and the Amazon.jp customer service replied and said that it's their new kind of packaging, but as we know they still used usual shrink wrap again until their newest release.
I hope they won't use this polybag again unless it's like Narnia 1st release which the polybag is used for wrap / protect the booklet and sealed shrink wrap steel

I also asked two guys who own LGB,they both ordered it directly from Amazon.Jp and both said it came sealed in a polybag only(no extra shrink wrap for the steel itself)...

so i am pretty sure a sealed LGB does not exist!!if you ever see a selaed one or someone says he owns a sealed one its definately a fake or a resealed copy!!

Reactions: Aprilarrow
Someone had contact the customer service (but I forgot who is it) and asked about why it's came polybagged instead of usual shrink wrap, and the Amazon.jp customer service replied and said that it's their new kind of packaging, but as we know they still used usual shrink wrap again until their newest release.
I hope they won't use this polybag again unless it's like Narnia 1st release which the polybag is used for wrap / protect the booklet and sealed shrink wrap steel

I sure hope so too :). And even I had contacted them regarding the polybag issue and they prepared a replacement order for me instead of telling me the reason :hilarious:. So, I had to google for this issue and ended up reading a thread on Hi-Def Ninja itself, where some members had faced a similar issue. So, I felt better knowing that it is a universal issue and cancelled my replacement order happily :D.

Reactions: Elena
Sorry to have brought up the LGB thing again! I say that I want one but agree, I've never heard of anyone who bought directly from Amazon.co.jp confirm that it ever came shrink wrapped. I still want one though ;)

I've just received Bourne Collection - love the neon text on the slip! I missed out on the deal for Paul, Adjustment Bureau and 3x Back to the Future so hadn't actually seen any of the neon text in hand. Think it should be used more often though!!!

Wow, it really amazes me that so many people are willing to claim there is no such thing as a sealed copy of LGB just because they haven't personally seen one or owned one themselves.

So I guess this one might as well go in the bin then eh? Even though it was a pre-ordered copy from 2010 and delivered direct from Amazon Japan?

picture001ar.jpg

Also check out this copy from a Japanese seller a while back. Notice the same gauge and quality of wrap:

lgbsealed1.jpg

kgrhqrhjcwehwd6ebpu6dv6.jpg

t2ec16dhjhye9nzpfiwnbpu.jpg

t2ec16zhjf8e9nnc8hibpu1.jpg

Believe what you want guys, but as they used to say on the X-Files "the truth is out there". ;)

Many of my friend ask me for this,and told me come here to prove it.
I can say im really got the sealed one at one years ago and sold it on ebay,i got the from my japan contact,i askd him why?he told me the following:

I order over 50 copies from amazon.jp at release date,but no one was sealed copy,all in the poly bag,but i found some copies in some stores at a few months later,i dont know why,so i ask the store boss,they told me,he also get them from amazon.jp,just sell it in himselfs store as a high prices,they just want to avoid the steelbook with some scratches and paint chips,and so worry the the post card and backcard lost,so they take the LGB to factory make the shrink warp.

I think everybody can understand at now,its not fake,because nobody can make the steelbook by himself,its must be from steelbook factory,so we can call it unofficial sealed copy,but its really ture.My japan contact has been collection the steelbook 5 years,and he sell over 1000 copies in japan every year,he never scammed me.

I suggest everybody stop this debate,in my view does not make sense,we just want collection the steelbook and enjoy it,not the shrink warp,it is not important.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought. Some retail store would do that to protect their merchandise just like us protecting it by putting them in the extra polybag.

What's our point is that, certain release that came out directly from amazon Japan are indeed not factory sealed. If its sealed then it might have been "re-process" by others. Be it retailes or individual.

Whether its sealed or polybag, its up to your own to believe what it is.
If you gotten a sealed copy, good for you. If you gotten a polybag version, great. You got yourself an excellent collection.

That's what my point is.

Thank you Rob and Xin, I am happy to come to a conclusion on this too. Now I know what I need to look for now, when I next go grail-hunting...

And now I must compete with you for this :ohno:

btw, just remind you that our mutual friend has LGB sealed for sale, you can have it and give me your opened copy :naughty: :hilarious:

I saw some members here (Hubmuswell and Firmwizard) have Iron Sky booklet, is it came together with the steel? because I didn't get it :confused:

So far I have only The Adjustment Bureau, Blade & Blade II and Underworld Awakening.

Placed an order today for both Star Wars Trilogies, The Back to the Future films, Pulp Fiction, Lockout, Battle LA and Prometheus. Would REALLY like to get my hands on Iron Sky too!

So far I have only The Adjustment Bureau, Blade & Blade II and Underworld Awakening.

Placed an order today for both Star Wars Trilogies, The Back to the Future films, Pulp Fiction, Lockout, Battle LA and Prometheus. Would REALLY like to get my hands on Iron Sky too!

Iron sky is nice and all but doesn't impress me as much as I was expecting. As for total recall you've gotta check out the JP digipack that I got today. Doesn't get any better!

image-37.jpg

Additional pics in the digipack thread. :drool:

Reactions: dirtyoak and Nyvo