Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 26, 2024
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £44.99
Notes: UK Exclusive Limited to 2000

King Kong.jpg

1719299423159.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw it go live straight away and it sold out in 17 seconds. GRAIL?

I hope I can buy a copy on ebay for less than 1400 great british pounds soon

"Why, the whole world will pay to see this. We're millionaires, boys. I'll share it with all of you. In a few months, it'll be up in lights on eBay: Kong Collectors Edition (very rare - in hand)."

Because of this and other issues with the UK division of Warner Brothers/Universal, we will no longer be providing pre-orders for their titles.

Thank you!
Orbit DVD
But of course Orbit continued to put up pre-orders for the Universal titles including this new wave at least a couple of weeks ago. People ordered from their listings and then Orbit pulled the listings after a day or 2.

I know. Not sure what is going on with Amazon. If it’s sold out then why have it available to pre order all the way up to paying for it. I did contact their support to ask about this and this was their response

This is because the system has not yet updated as to which fulfillment centre nearest to you will have the stock due to the high pre-order volumes. In this case, I would suggest that you try placing the order after a couple of days

• Informative
Reactions: milky
I didn't get the details fully correct about Orbit and Jaws 2. For clarification, here's the full text of the email they sent at the time:

Morning everyone, I felt the need to give an update on the Jaws 2 pre-orders, and unfortunately, it is not good news.

Last week we were informed by one of our UK distributors that Amazon has taken 90% of the Jaws 2 steelbooks, leaving the rest of the world to fight over the remaining 10%. While we are still waiting for our final allocation numbers to be revealed, we feel that we will not receive enough to accommodate every one that has paid for a pre-order.

We have one glimmer of hope working with a US importer, but this will be a long shot. If they do pull through, the price that you paid will be honored.

If you want to cancel, we completely understand, and have opened Jaws 2 up for order cancellation and editing. If you ordered 2 other items for our “3FREE” option, just contact us and we be happy to ship the others items for free media mail shipping.

We will be giving our distributors one more week to let us know our final allocations, but after that we will begin the cancellation process.

Because of this and other issues with the UK division of Warner Brothers/Universal, we will no longer be providing pre-orders for their titles. The good news is that other companies like StudioCanal, Eureka, Second Sight, Arrow, etc. know the importance of smaller businesses like Orbit and we will continue to offer pre-orders without worry.

I apologize again about this, pre-orders are new to us, and we are quickly learning about which companies that you can and cannot trust.

Thank you!
Orbit DVD
I am UK so don't use Orbit. But from that email alone, Orbit seem good guys. Need more with honesty and transparency like them. Especially in contrast to certain UK retailers waffle and being kept in the dark with copy & paste emails when things go awry... mentioning no names...
Jack Sparrow Pirate GIF by MonkexNFT
etc.

Why is this marketed as a UK exclusive when a percentage of the product is sold internationally then?

Are Universal purposely allocating stock in other countries, putting it where they like (US) and then falsely marketing it as exclusive to the UK to drum hype or do the UK retailers perhaps decide not to take their total allocated percentage of units for some reason, so they get kicked elsewhere?

Zavvi, HMV, Amazon - do they buy the stock from Universal (or whomever is manufacturing this under license) and set the RRP?
I'm not clear on how this works in the UK. Anyone know? We need a @paulboland answer here :naughty::drool:

Maybe Orbit coughed up "extra" cash to secure their stock from Universal in a deal?
Again, I'm only being speculative having never owned a business nor worked in corporate management.

Either way, this whole wave of new collectors sets are being marketed with unreasonable and false information. It's janky AF.

Why is this marketed as a UK exclusive when a percentage of the product is sold internationally then?

Are Universal purposely allocating stock in other countries, putting it where they like (US) and then falsely marketing it as exclusive to the UK to drum hype or do the UK retailers perhaps decide not to take their total allocated percentage of units for some reason, so they get kicked elsewhere?

Zavvi, HMV, Amazon - do they buy the stock from Universal (or whomever is manufacturing this under license) and set the RRP?
I'm not clear on how this works in the UK. Anyone know? We need a @paulboland answer here :naughty::drool:

Maybe Orbit coughed up "extra" cash to secure their stock from Universal in a deal?
Again, I'm only being speculative having never owned a business nor worked in corporate management.

Either way, this whole wave of new collectors sets are being marketed with unreasonable and false information. It's janky AF.
This is a UK exclusive. It is only being sold via official channels in the the UK, limited to 2K. There's nothing janky or false there.

There are steelbooks only (not collectors editions) being sold in Europe, as part of a shared print run. Orbit are not a UK retailer, they are an importer. Universal will not be providing them copies directly. I don't know how they obtain copies, but it'll be further down the chain, not from the distributor.

This is a UK exclusive. It is only being sold via official channels in the the UK, limited to 2K. There's nothing janky or false there.

There are steelbooks only (not collectors editions) being sold in Europe, as part of a shared print run. Orbit are not a UK retailer, they are an importer. Universal will not be providing them copies directly. I don't know how they obtain copies, but it'll be further down the chain, not from the distributor

Dude, with how strange the sales have been on this release, it's definitely suspect in some way or another.

• Haha
Reactions: astycorax
Dude, with how strange the sales have been on this release, it's definitely suspect in some way or another.

Are you in the UK? What does it say for you now?

Until now, I have been able to add it to my cart but not check out.

It now tells me "currently unavailable", "This item cannot be dispatched to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location."

I'm not in the UK.

It's just gone fast tbh. I know others disagree, but I don't think there's anything dodgy going on. Zavvi sell quick all the time. HMV (rightfully) Limited orders to 1 due to expected demand, same as they did with BR film vault. Amazon, well, it's amazon lol they've had that preorder bug for ages now, so there's no telling what they have/haven't sold. Utterly useless company.

It's possible some people just bought some. For me the message just switched to:

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

From the previous "This item cannot be dispatched to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location."