Lawrence of Arabia - 60th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: June 13, 2022 - May 1, 2024 (Limited re-release)
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £29.99
Notes: 4 Discs

Lawrence of Arabia.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really tempted by this but I've never actually seen the movie. And 1st quarter releases are looking packed.
You might want to rent it first. It’s a classic and I adore it, but my friends and many in my family struggled with it. Personally I think it’s remarkable, but my best mate—and a film buff—was like ‘meh’. Admittedly, he’s near a decade younger than me. So YMMV.

I'm really tempted by this but I've never actually seen the movie. And 1st quarter releases are looking packed.

Can't afford to blind buy too much these days. Having never seen this before. I'd like an honest opinion on whether this movie is as good as the critics say it is?

you've had loads of other great responses above, but i'll add my 2 cents.

yes, it's - let's go for deliberately paced. hell, the full version has a 10 minute intermission in the middle with an otherwise black screen. but the direction is stunning, the cinematography unmatched, and the acting truly stellar, especially Peter O'Toole in the title role. :thumbs: you will have to navigate Alec Guinness and Anthony Quinn in layers of brownface, a product of the time it was made, all the more ridiculous when Omar Sharif is in it, and he is not the only Arabic actor in the world. both actually put in great performances.

i agree with others above, if you like classic cinema, with a real cast of thousands, you will probably like this. if you like popcorn movies, you probably won't. any film that spends 5 minutes on a famous single, almost static shot has to be good to sustain that - and it is, and it does. give it a go. :)

lawrence of arabia GIF by Maudit

Reactions: Lutzo
you've had loads of other great responses above, but i'll add my 2 cents.

yes, it's - let's go for deliberately paced. hell, the full version has a 10 minute intermission in the middle with an otherwise black screen. but the direction is stunning, the cinematography unmatched, and the acting truly stellar, especially Peter O'Toole in the title role. :thumbs: you will have to navigate Alec Guinness and Anthony Quinn in layers of brownface, a product of the time it was made, all the more ridiculous when Omar Sharif is in it, and he is not the only Arabic actor in the world. both actually put in great performances.

i agree with others above, if you like classic cinema, with a real cast of thousands, you will probably like this. if you like popcorn movies, you probably won't. any film that spends 5 minutes on a famous single, almost static shot has to be good to sustain that - and it is, and it does. give it a go. :)

lawrence of arabia GIF by Maudit
I kinda resent the accusation you can't like both classic cinema and popcorn movies.

I kinda resent the accusation you can't like both classic cinema and popcorn movies.
you totally can :thumbs:, my apologies, that was not my intention - as Ninjas will know from posts over the years, i have a sizeable collection of both! :drool: life would be dull with only one and not the other. i was only intending to say what sort of film this is. :)

hope you get to check Lawrence out via purchase or for free soon, everyone should see it at least once.

omar sharif my s GIF

Nobody said that. Both @steelmybeatingheart and myself merely suggested that the chances of anybody liking "Lawrence" are slimmer if you prefer popcorn movies over classic cinema. This reminds of the time when Christopher suggested for Ralphie to watch "Spartacus", cause he really liked "Gladiator" :rofl:

1702119876851.jpeg

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
you totally can :thumbs:, my apologies, that was not my intention - as Ninjas will know from posts over the years, i have a sizeable collection of both! :drool: life would be dull with only one and not the other. i was only intending to say what sort of film this is. :)

hope you get to check Lawrence out via purchase or for free soon, everyone should see it at least once.

omar sharif my s GIF
I enjoy a Sunday afternoon epic so count me in! Thanks for your feedback :thumbs:

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
I, on the other hand, fan of movies like Battlefield Earth, 2Fast 2Furious, and VFW, Silent Night type, would like to reiterate the notion that people like me aren't touching this clown makeup snore-fest with a ten foot pole. :D

I, on the other hand, fan of movies like Battlefield Earth, 2Fast 2Furious, and VFW, Silent Night type, would like to reiterate the notion that people like me aren't touching this clown makeup snore-fest with a ten foot pole. :D
I mean you can like movies like that and also slower movies. I just got around to watching Schindlers List and absolutely thought it was brilliant. This coming from someone who has Roadhouse listed as his favourite movie.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
I mean you can like movies like that and also slower movies. I just got around to watching Schindlers List and absolutely thought it was brilliant. This coming from someone who has Roadhouse listed as his favourite movie.
Schindler's List is exceptional, and I'm not saying you can't - my #1 favorite movie is basically a play, Hurlyburly, where people sit in a couple of rooms and talk the whole time.

Reactions: JinxyKatte
then shoot each other at the end? :rofl:
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

They rather shoot with words, every phrase is quotable, funny, or hurtful, sarcastic and bitter, David Rabe's play. Was first staged 40 years ago with Sigourney Weaver, Harvey Keitel, William Hurt, and Christopher Walken. I watched I think the 3rd version off-Broadway in 2005 starring Ethan Hawke and Parker Posey.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: jailbird_joey
Screenshot_2024-01-24-13-30-23-089_com.microsoft.office.outlook~2.jpg

HMV cancelled the order. No supply from distributor. Obviously I'm rather upset.
Damn.
Is this just HMV or has Zavvi and Amazon sent the same type emails.
Anyone received anything?