• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Choi Chungkwon

Premium Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
South Korea
Pre-order: September 2
Release date: October 15
Price: 34.99$ (Promotion price for 3 days)
Buy links:
Memento - Kimchidvd Exclusive Lenticular Edition
Memento - Kimchidvd Exclusive Full Slip Edition

Package detail: See below
Local and Overseas

Live for pre-order at (times):

Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California) Monday, 1 September 2014, 22:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
New York (U.S.A. - New York) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 01:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Vancouver (Canada - British Columbia) Monday, 1 September 2014, 22:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Montreal (Canada - Quebec) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 01:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 06:00:00 BST UTC+ 1 hour
Paris (France) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 07:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Frankfurt (Germany - Hesse) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 07:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Prague (Czech Republic) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 07:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Hong Kong (Hong Kong) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 13:00:00 HKT UTC+8 hours
Taipei (Taiwan) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 13:00:00 CST UTC+8 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 05:00:00

Here is Memento package shot
1) Lenticular package (1300 copies)
2) Full slip package (1300 copies)
3) 1/4 slip non-exlusive package

Pre-order date & price will be announced next week

Lenticular Edition (1300 copies):

10531252_1588884411338770_850310102720728645_o.jpg

Full-Slip Edition (1300 copies):

10507064_1588884561338755_1752972550848847898_o.jpg

1/4-Slip:

10577160_1588884671338744_1779424754378400059_n.jpg

Please choose SteelBook artwork (vote on Kimchidvd's Facebook page):

TYPE A
momento-a-jpg.83452

TYPE B
momento-b-jpg.83453

TYPE C
momento-c-jpg.83454

List of Kimchidvd Exclusive SteelBook Editions
Old info:
Type A
14-jpg.73123

Type B
2_9-jpg.73124

Type C
2_4-jpg.73125

Attachments

• ??? ???14.jpg
    ??? ???14.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 16,807
  • ??? ??2_9.jpg
    ??? ??2_9.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 16,308
  • ??? ??2_4.jpg
    ??? ??2_4.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 16,238
  • Momento-A.jpg
    Momento-A.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 17,106
  • Momento-B.jpg
    Momento-B.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 16,410
  • Momento-C.jpg
    Momento-C.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 17,396
  • thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 922
Last edited by a moderator:
I explain what happens.

After Rush release, Kimchidvd put more than half of print run on kimchidvd. So Most of Korean collectors is mad that the allocated quantity in local store is much smaller than oversea allocated quantity.

Like Plainarchive put same number copies into EN and KR store. Most of KR collectors complained this issue to Kimchidvd unfair game for long time and blame kimchidvd so much in dvdprime forum

After rush. Kimchi put same allocation to local and kimchidvd

But after few weeks, generally 2 or 3 weeks, Kimchidvd will take out all unsold rest quantity from local store to get rest quantities lived again.

Kimchidvd will do this again for all future coming title.

If you ask this is kimchidvd new strategy, I can answer yes.

Thanks for this explanation. Makes sense to me that Kimchidvd feels responsible for their local fans

I explain what happens.

After Rush release, Kimchidvd put more than half of print run on kimchidvd. So Most of Korean collectors is mad that the allocated quantity in local store is much smaller than oversea allocated quantity.

Like Plainarchive put same number copies into EN and KR store. Most of KR collectors complained this issue to Kimchidvd unfair game for long time and blame kimchidvd so much in dvdprime forum

After rush. Kimchi put same allocation to local and kimchidvd

But after few weeks, generally 2 or 3 weeks, Kimchidvd will take out all unsold rest quantity from local store to get rest quantities lived again.

Kimchidvd will do this again for all future coming title.

If you ask this is kimchidvd new strategy, I can answer yes.
Thanks for the update
Future releases can we see the correct print run available for international customers listed so there is no confusion next time
We need to know the correct print run before future releases go live on kimchidvd not to find out after it goes live
If they don't provide this info before a release goes live we will have the same problems again and we cant be expected to guess the print run
Example
Local Print Run
International Print Run
If we get this at least we know what to expect with a release and be prepared especially if the print run is low

Reactions: Choi Chungkwon
Thanks for the update
Future releases can we see the correct print run available for international customers listed so there is no confusion next time
We need to know the correct print run before future releases go live on kimchidvd not to find out after it goes live
If they don't provide this info before a release goes live we will have the same problems again and we cant be expected to guess the print run
Example
Local Print Run
International Print Run
If we get this at least we know what to expect with a release and be prepared especially if the print run is low

My understanding is that in future, whatever the print run, half will be put up for sale to international customers on Kimchi's website, whilst the other half will go to the local store.

So, whatever the announced print run total is, just divide it by two to get the respective quantities.

Thanks for the update
Example
Local Print Run
International Print Run

My understanding is that in future, whatever the print run, half will be put up for sale to international customers on Kimchi's website, whilst the other half will go to the local store.

So, whatever the announced print run total is, just divide it by two to get the respective quantities.

The thing is we won't know exactly how many will be available to collectors over seas because it may or may not sell out locally so it is impossible for them to say anything other than over seas collectors are guaranteed atleast half. It may be more. What it comes down to pretty much is if we want a copy don't lag, when there is a live time just be there. If not then take a chance that more will be available later.

Currently overseas and missed out on this twice. Might be sour grapes, but I'm starting to feel Kimchi exclusives are too much effort. The exclusives are nice, but the quality control on the Steels themselves is pretty poor. I'm not an OCD collector and I open all my Steels, but after Leon, I haven't received a single Kimchi exclusive in mint condition (usually scratches or in the case of Infernal Affairs, weird defects due to the gloss).

This I can live with, but it's the whole process to buy them and the aftermath that I find so frustrating. I mean, this isn't like trying for Blufans stuff in which the entire system itself is flawed. This is just buying from a regular online store that I assume at this point does a decent amount of business, and yet each and every time it's a mad scramble. And then afterwards the scalpers put their wares up on eBay for crazy, like seriously crazy mark ups and the rest of us come here to HDN to gloat or cry. I just don't know if it's worth it anymore.

I understand this sentiment and generally agree with the concept. Thankfully, Kimchi releases generally haven't been too terrible. The new releases are always tough. Rush and Snowpiercer were luck of the servers, at least if you wanted the "preferred" version. But Amelie, Infernal Affairs, The Pianist, and Perfume all weren't too tough. With minimal effort, a collector could get what they wanted. In the case of Memento, it was somewhere in between the Rush/Snowpiercer madness and the ease of the other catalog titles. I'm still surprised Memento sold out that quickly, although I'd quickly acknowledge it should have the most appeal of any of the catalog titles I've listed.

That said, I don't think anyone was expecting what happened. Even based on the posts in this thread, the title did not generate a ton of interest or even posts confirming a purchase. And when it sold out sold quickly (in particular the full slip), people (including myself) generally thought it was some error. Now that we know the allocation was half of what was stated, that helps explain things a bit. It's still surprising and ultimately each person has to make a decision on what to do. It's not KimChiDVD's fault that it sold out, nor is it their fault anyone waited when they could have bought. This release in particular was tough on East Coasters in the US as it was in the middle of the night. One can be uber dedicated and stay up for a Steelbook, or one can choose to sleep thinking it'll be there in the morning. That again is a personal choice.

I think the hope is that one does not have to wake up in the middle of the night to get something they want. I hope Steelbooks don't go the way of Mondo posters, where things routinely sell out in seconds and even people present right at the drop miss out. I think most here at least hope a person who's dedicated and present at the drop can get one if they want and not have to rely on the luck of the servers. And I think most people hope for a reasonably convenient time. You can't please everyone, but you can try and please many. But if things start getting too tough, I can see it driving people away from the hobby.

Side note - if half the runs are being given to Local Kimchi stores, maybe the drop times can be made more convenient to European/North American buyers since I'd wager that's were most of the online orders come from?

Reactions: Lutzo and augustus
Thanks for the update
Example
Local Print Run
International Print Run

I can understand wanting info, but I don't think we can demand it on every fine detail.

Kimchi exclusives are sought after and we all know that. Everyone who set there alarm and woke up nice and early had absolutely no problem in acquiring their copy / copies. Those who couldn't make it or assumed that they would be in stock for ages missed out. I will always advise collectors to set their alarm and get their orders in as early as possible to bag their copy and avoid disappointment.

Kimchi gave us exactly where to be and at what time in order to get a copy, and it was absolutely fine for those who followed the instructions.

I hope you and others who missed out manage to get a copy from kimchi when the rest get added back on sale next time.

I can understand wanting info, but I don't think we can demand it on every fine detail.

Kimchi exclusives are sought after and we all know that. Everyone who set there alarm and woke up nice and early had absolutely no problem in acquiring their copy / copies. Those who couldn't make it or assumed that they would be in stock for ages missed out. I will always advise collectors to set their alarm and get their orders in as early as possible to bag their copy and avoid disappointment.

Kimchi gave us exactly where to be and at what time in order to get a copy, and it was absolutely fine for those who followed the instructions.

I hope you and others who missed out manage to get a copy from kimchi when the rest get added back on sale next time.

I agree with you but we all thought the print run was 1300 each and only found out a few hours after both were sold out that in fact it was 650 not 1300 that's a big difference especially with a release that's not expected to sell out fast and if it had of been 1300 it would not have sold out as fast as it did

None of us knew any of this before it went live to order and had we known none of us would have ended up shocked it was sold out and some thought it was an error and waited but ended up missing out on both versions by waiting

I don't have a problem with local store getting half and is correct that customers in Korea get a chance to order as its a Korean release at the end of the day

I myself missed out on the Full Slip but was able to order the Lenticular but was surprised as very few people mentioned they managed to order the Full Slip and this caused lot of us to wonder was is bulk buying that caused it to suddenly be sold out that was not the case but we only found out the real reason after
I'm keeping my order of the Lenticular as I'm not like some who buy multiple versions of a release

It can be done to make it clearer for future releases and if at a later stage the local store cant sell out their stock they are made available to international customers but that still leave you wondering if that happens

To say the print run for example of a future release is initially international customers is 650 makes it very clear
Lot of people look at info given to them here and on facebook if they see a print run that says 1300 that's what they will see it as not 650

Its very easy to give correct information
Next release for example say international print run is and what the local print run is so there is no wondering or assuming the print run
International customers who want to order a Full Slip or Lenticular will know what to expect especially with a low print run that's important to know
And if at a later stage some of the local print run becomes available to international customers then that a bonus for those who missed out on both versions
Not everyone buys both versions so to know the correct initial print run is important in deciding what version you want

Note
Lot of us here now know to expect that future releases will be split in half with the local store but not everyone who buys steelbooks is a member of this brilliant web forum and will go buy what they see on kimchidvd online store and facebook page for information if that information is misleading then the problem we saw will happen again
I used to be a major buyer in the business and its important you provide correct release information to customers

Its simple I see a release I might be interested in and its not a major release I see the print run is 650 I know I need to be quick to get an order in if I see 1300 there is a difference in how that affects your approach to ordering as it is with zavvi and other retailers releases
The print run information is very important in deciding when you order and how quickly you place your order
When its a major release everyone is ready at live time and we see the madness with these releases and server problems they cause and we hope to get an order in but even then we need correct release info

All I ask is we see the correct print run information for international customers posted with future releases
To post its 1300 when in fact its 650 means wrong info is been posted
local customers in Korea they also need correct release info posted for them
Then if at a later stage there is more stock made available that's fine but we cant assume how many that will be as we don't know

Last edited:
I agree with you but we all thought the print run was 1300 each and only found out a few hours after both were sold out that in fact it was 650 not 1300 that's a big difference especially with a release that's not expected to sell out fast and if it had of been 1300 it would not have sold out as fast as it did

None of us knew any of this before it went live to order and had we known none of us would have ended up shocked it was sold out and some thought it was an error and waited but ended up missing out on both versions by waiting

I don't have a problem with local store getting half and is correct that customers in Korea get a chance to order as its a Korean release at the end of the day

I myself missed out on the Full Slip but was able to order the Lenticular but was surprised as very few people mentioned they managed to order the Full Slip and this caused lot of us to wonder was is bulk buying that caused it to suddenly be sold out that was not the case but we only found out the real reason after
I'm keeping my order of the Lenticular as I'm not like some who buy multiple versions of a release

It can be done to make it clearer for future releases and if at a later stage the local store cant sell out their stock they are made available to international customers but that still leave you wondering if that happens

To say the print run for example of a future release is initially international customers is 650 makes it very clear
Lot of people look at info given to them here and on facebook if they see a print run that says 1300 that's what they will see it as not 650

Its very easy to give correct information
Next release for example say international print run is and what the local print run is so there is no wondering or assuming the print run
International customers who want to order a Full Slip or Lenticular will no what to expect especially with a low print run that's important to know
And if at a later stage some of the local print run becomes available to international customers then that a bonus for those who missed out on both versions
Not everyone buys both versions so to know the correct initial print run is important in deciding what version you want

Note
Lot of us here now know to expect that future releases will be split in half with the local store but not everyone who buys steelbooks is a member of this brilliant web forum and will go buy what they see on kimchidvd online store and facebook page for information if that information is misleading then the problem we saw will happen again
I used to be a major buyer in the business and its important you provide correct release information to customers

Its simple I see a release I might be interested in and its not a major release I see the print run is 650 I know I need to be quick to get an order in if I see 1300 there is a difference in how that affects your approach to ordering as it is with zavvi and other retailers releases
The print run information is very important in deciding when you order and how quickly you place your order
When its a major release everyone is ready at live time and we see the madness with these releases and server problems they cause and we hope to get an order in but even then we need correct release info

All I ask is we see the correct print run information for international customers posted with future releases
To post its 1300 when in fact its 650 means wrong info is been posted
local customers in Korea they also need correct release info posted for them
Then if at a later stage there is more stock made available that's fine but we cant assume how many that will be as we don't know

That's all fair enough mate, I get why you want the info. I just don't know that we should expect it all the time. Kimchi have decided to open more up to the local store and this is no doubt due to certain catalogue titles not performing so well in the past, despite the popularity of their exclusives. I think some info is fair enough to keep within their business.

As an ex buyer you will no doubt appreciate that the key is to sell through your exclusive stock as quickly as possible, in most instances you would hope that you could do that in the pre-order window, so that you can charge it all in one go (or by xxx date) and keep the cash flow going smoothly to reinvest in future projects. To have stock tied up because it isn't selling is as bad as putting a load of money in a safe and forgetting the code. You know there is money in there but you can't access it. And the last thing you want to do is to wipe out all your profit margin by selling off that dead stock at a lower price in order to clear through sales and turn the stock back into cash.

So kimchi spreading the load by offering multiples of the same title, with differing slips etc, and also opening more to local store means they are more likely to keep the stock turning and moving forward in a healthy position to continue to bring us more exclusives. With the small team that they have managing all this I would forgive them for not necessarily sharing every last detail about how they are balancing the stock, as they might need to make a call on the day the pre-order goes live to shift a load more units to local if it's overperforming there (or visa versa) and then we will be in the same position as now claiming that they tried to con us or something. Can't imagine they want that extra hassle when they are worrying about servers etc already.

But who knows... they are a good team at kimchi and maybe they will help accommodate your request for finer detail on how they are sharing out the print runs.

I'm going to keep setting my alarm just in case ;)

Frankly, if Kimchi are going to do this in future, I suggest they first of all limit the number of orders to 1 per customer - as they're all overseas I'm talking of it should not present a problem for them.

Secondly, to be perfectly honest, people buying all versions of a very limited release really are being very selfish and need to learn to play the game.

Thirdly, why on earth can't you register an interest when initial details are released?
Folowing that, when all art is up, etc, you should be emailed and asked if you'd like to proceed with your order.

Finally, 650 steels for the rest of the world is ludicrously low, no matter how you cut it!

There, rant over :)

What if buying all versions of a release is the game??

I've been playing for long enough to know that this release was available for ample time to easily get on order in. 2 or 3 hours might seem quick for some but that's a lifetime compared to some previous kimchi exclusive releases.

What if buying all versions of a release is the game??

I've been playing for long enough to know that this release was available for ample time to easily get on order in. 2 or 3 hours might seem quick for some but that's a lifetime compared to some previous kimchi exclusive releases.
I completely agree. It was plenty of time to get an order in. It did last way longer then previous kimchi exclusives but it seems like some maybe took this release a little too lightly and it bit them in the butt. If you want it then order it when it goes live, if you don't because you think there might be some later then what ever happens you must except because they don't need to keep a certain stock in limbo for anyone. If you want it buy it. If you want to wait then except what ever happens next. Fortunately many have a knowledge that know they dropped the ball a little on this one

Reactions: RekLess and zoneism
You have to understand also that no one knew a local store would buy half the lot! That's never happened before based on what other members are saying. But I also agree with what you're saying also. If I would've never forgot about this, I would've been on my laptop at 1 am making sure I secure a copy. So there are valid points made on both sides.

This was a mistake from Kimchi to not inform customers that half the stock was allocated for local stores no doubt. But this was the first time they did it and we now know it will be like this for future releases. Im sure the info will be in the OP of future Exclusives but if not we know the deal as Choi broke it down for us. I think its time to accept that a move on. A Korean retailer is catering to their locals and we cant complain about that. And its almost certain that the local allocation will hit the web a few weeks after release so nothing to to fret about. Hopefully/(most likely) those that missed out on this will get another chance when the remaining stock goes online.

eyJhIjogIjcwMCIsICJjIjogImtlZXBjYWxtIiwgImIiOiAiNjAwIiwgImUiOiAiNDQiLCAiZCI6ICI5NiIsICJnIjogIiNjMTBjMDYiLCAiZiI6ICIjYzFiZWEyIiwgImkiOiAiQ0FMTSIsICJoIjogIktFRVAiLCAiayI6ICJDb2xsZWN0ICIsICJqIjogIkFORCIsICJsIjogIlN0ZWVsYm9va3MiLCAibyI6ICIvcmVzL2kvZW1ibGVtcy9jcm93bi5wbmciLCAicCI6ICIvcmVzL2kvYmcvbm9uZS5wbmciLCAicyI6ICJGYWxzZSIsICJyIjogImtlZXBjYWxtIn0=

ok well the sale time was announced weeks ahead of time so you dont need all the time in the world. you just need to know how to plan ahead

Reactions: severo
Waiting 2-3 weeks tells me that the local allotment is too way too high when int'l cannot get it on release day.

Even Kimchi mentioned many times why they dont do 1 copy limit for every movie...maybe you ask a nice member to buy one copy for you (in future)
btw i missed the Fullslip too...and i am not pissed off.

They gshould have been allocating half the pront run to the HDN shop!

Great, now we have to deal with Local Scalpers....

Im the type of Kimchi fanatic the buy all three versions. I really wanted this, but Im really saving for 9/09/14 TWS US Releases!